Google Nexus D Prototype Mock-Up Gets the Imagination Juices Flowing

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the concave screen, laser pointer and the universal remote.

Concave screen seems like it will feel great swiping from left to right to different screens.
I sometimes use my phone as a flashlight (who doesn't), so using it as a laser pointer when I do presentations isn't too far fetched.
Been asking for an IR port on phones for like forever. Seems like this would have been a big draw since smartphones are about the same size as a remote, they have a touch screen, and they are always by your side.

DJTaT2

Reaction score
As far as it " rocking" I think you over looked the posts on the kickstand that would eliminate the wobble

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not sure about the curved design.

Also when are companies going stop making handheld devices out of that gloss material? They look real pretty until you touch them and then they are covered in fingerprints, just never seen the point.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I don't like the curved back. When I lay my table on the phone I don't want it to sit there and rock back and forth. I don't want it to be unstable. I want it to lay flat. The two dimples on the flip-out kick stand are there to serve as feet and make the back of the phone quasi-flat but they are too close together, and the other "leg" is the camera's bezel, meaning it will get scratched up and the finish or plating will chip, scratch, tear and wear away as time goes on.

I don't like the position of the kickstand. Placing it on one end puts the pivot point for the phone to tip over near the center of the phone, making it more likely to tip over at the opposite end. The strongest shape is a triangle, and the most stable positions of a 3 legged stool is in equal distances from each other in a true triangle formation. In this situation, the best location for the leg is center. Even though it isn't a perfect triangle, it will be the closest thing to a perfect triangle.

I'm not a fan of curved glass since it acts to bend light. The concave curve of that screen will create a reflection of your face that will be extremely narrow and tall (full height of the glass), and concentrated right down the middle, so that what would normally be a rather muted reflection of you and what is behind you in a rather dull intensity that covers the entire screen will instead be bright and hard to avoid right down the middle. With a flat screen a slight turn removes yourself from the "mirror" image you see on the screen. With a curved screen, turning it either left or right will only cause the image of the reflection to remain in the center of view and move across the screen in the direction of the turn. If you tilt it up or down you'll get the same narrow and long reflection of whatever is directly above or below your face - sky or your shirt.

I do like the additional LED notification lights. The only problem with notification lights is if they aren't devoted to one thing or another, remembering what they represent becomes difficult. Take difficult times 6, and that's what you are looking at now.

There's more but that's the big ones for me.

Lol. If you lay your table on the phone it would be useless anyway. But other than that i agree.

Sent from my DROID4

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
My main worry is that the laser has to be green or blue. Red lasers are so 90s! :wink-b: Annnnnnd..... reeeeeallly... Is a light saber too much to ask for yet? It's 2012 and we have a rover on Mars that takes color pictures and got dropped by a levitating crane. All my concept phones have light sabers!
As to the remote. Isn't that kinda already going for it? That's kinda the point of the Nexus Q, so any Android phone basically _is_ a remote now. :biggrin:
The curvature is for when you use it as a half pipe for your Tech Deck! ;) (tell me I'm not the only one that played with those!) :)
Nothing about the cameras? It will for sure need to have the Nokia 47mpx camera in it. With a 5mp front camera.
I love love love the accelerometer idea! You have to wave it in the right pattern to unlock! Mind blown...day made! :blink::biggrin:

Last edited:

grgguy

Reaction score
For me putting a laser pointer in my phone would be like iceing on the cake. My other passion in life is lasers . Holy **** the possibilities !

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
As far as it " rocking" I think you over looked the posts on the kickstand that would eliminate the wobble

Actually I didn't. Copy below of the first paragraph with the portion where they are mentioned highlighted, and the reason why I don't think they are sufficient.

I don't like the curved back. When I lay my table on the phone I don't want it to sit there and rock back and forth. I don't want it to be unstable. I want it to lay flat. The two dimples on the flip-out kick stand are there to serve as feet and make the back of the phone quasi-flat but they are too close together, and the other "leg" is the camera's bezel, meaning it will get scratched up and the finish or plating will chip, scratch, tear and wear away as time goes on.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lol. If you lay your table on the phone it would be useless anyway. But other than that i agree.

Sent from my DROID4

Yeah...that was a bit of dyslexia for ya!! :blink:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I like the concave screen, laser pointer and the universal remote.

Concave screen seems like it will feel great swiping from left to right to different screens.
I sometimes use my phone as a flashlight (who doesn't), so using it as a laser pointer when I do presentations isn't too far fetched.
Been asking for an IR port on phones for like forever. Seems like this would have been a big draw since smartphones are about the same size as a remote, they have a touch screen, and they are always by your side.

I do like the IR remote feature and was terribly disappointed when phones stopped having IR emitters/detectors. I know they were primarily for "beaming" of data to another phone, but there are still plenty of home devices that operate on IR for remote control and I would like my phone to be my ONLY remote control. As it is now, I can control my Verizon FIOS TV, my SONOS and ROKU SoundBridge music streaming devices, and my computer via WIFI, but can't control my Denon AVR-3806 receiver or my Sony Bravia flatscreen TV. I know I could upgrade the TV and receiver, but the additional few thousand dollars it would cost are not worth it.

My next step is to add this to my list of home devices... Beacon for Android - Griffin Technology (Beacon: The most powerful universal remote control for iPhone, iPod, iPad, or Android devices , powered by Dijit | Griffin Technology). This allows WIFI based phones, Android and iPhone to talk to IR devices. Once I have this, I am completely "lost remote control" free!!