Good bye Droid, nice knowing ya!

mstarbear

Reaction score
I'm on the verge, too. I'm on Droid #3. Each one has horrible sound quality. Muffled, echo on other end, static on my end. After update it improved marginally but totally unacceptable. I've been on all the forums (check out the one on Motorola... sound quality is not great). I've read everything, tried everything, even VZW support agrees... they had to call me back on another line because they couldn't understand me. WTF? I love my Droid, but it doesn't work as a phone, so I'm going back to my old one tomorrow until something better comes out. NO ONE (Motorola, Google or Verizon) will recognize this as a problem. It is. Period. Good bye Droid.

jkwakopo

Reaction score
Well, decided I'm returning the Droid. It's an awesome phone but I'm on my second one in as many weeks. My new replacement phone not only has a loose slide but a crap battery. I had it sitting on the charger last night, went to dinner and a movie and the battery was at 30% when I got home. Woke up this morning and 10% gone withing 30 minutes, no apps running.

Hopefully they will have a more dependable product in 6 months or so.

Thanks for all the assistance Droid Forums, this place is pretty cool.

Later.

Tillers:cool:

Lol... turn off your phone in the movie theater, that will drain your phone's battery... i charge my phone every day and half... just normal user tho

bigthinker

Reaction score
mstarbear.....Have you tried this to improve the quality of the voice carried from the phone? Just trying to help!

Improve Call Audio Quality (Doesn't seem to work if you have anything to do with Alltel!)

• Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and act as if you were going to call that number.
  • Enter 000000 for the SPC Password and then tap Verify
  • Tap on "04 Vocode"
  • Tap on EVRC-B than Apply
  • Tap the Home Screen button and the phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone
  • Explanation - This changes how the phone compresses and decompressed the call audio which improves the quality.

OP
Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's not that I'm leaving cause I hate the phone, not at all. Like I stated, this phone is the best I have dealt with.

My situation is a bit different from everyone else, I've gotten a free phone for the past 10 years, this is the first time I have to pay, so perhaps I am being more nit picky.

Something is definitely wrong with this battery or the phone, it's not a faulty outlet with no power going to it, like someone had mentioned. Again, fully charged this morning and now I'm at 40% and I used the voice on my phone for maybe 10 minutes and that's about it.

I am still within my 30 days so that's how I can get out of the contract.

I'll just go back to my Samsung Instinct for the time being. It's a crappy phone but it does work and it can get me by for the time being. I won't be in a contract with it, just month to month so I can jump back to a Droid when I feel some of the issues have been addressed.

mstarbear

Reaction score
bigthinker,

Thank you for the post, and yes, I've tried it. Doesn't help my situation at all. It has to be the device. I have searched the web many times daily for a possible fix. I've found nothing. Others on the Motorola's forums are losing patience as well. Any other ideas, I'd appreciate suggestions. I love everything else about this smartphone but it has to work as a phone.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Tillers, have you tried Advanced Task Manager? I had short battery life until I installed this app. I would just hate to see you go....I'm one who when gets knocked down, I get back up....Each and every time. Let's get up and dust ourselves off...It will be ok!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
bigthinker,

Thank you for the post, and yes, I've tried it. Doesn't help my situation at all. It has to be the device. I have searched the web many times daily for a possible fix. I've found nothing. Others on the Motorola's forums are losing patience as well. Any other ideas, I'd appreciate suggestions. I love everything else about this smartphone but it has to work as a phone.
since VZW heard the issue were they not willing to swap it out?

Seems odd you called them about the issue then they had you call back since they couldn't hear you/bad connection quality and then did nothing.

Call them back on your Droid and tell them to exchange it. VZW is great about these things....

bigthinker

Reaction score
bigthinker,

I would try to swap for #4....I would not settle. This is the best phone out there....you are just getting lemons, let's make some lemonade....Try just one more Swap out at VZW or wherever you got it.

mstarbear

Reaction score
They've swapped it three times already. They don't want to swap it again because all three have had the same problem. So, I'm either stuck with this one, or return it for full reimbursement. I can't keep it and "hope" that they come up with a fix. It's my only means of communication and I use it for business. I thought after seeing this post last week on Motorola someone would figure it out. It makes sense.

Here it is, from "sound quality is not great"...

Hello Droid/Milestone owners,

I have a French Motorola Milestone and here is what I noticed about the bad sound quality received by the other person. I admit I did not read all the messages, sorry if it's duplicate.

The fact is the Milestone (and I guess the Droid too) uses a two-microphones system for noice cancelling. One microphone records the voice; the other records the ambiant noise. The latter is located behind the phone, near the jack plug (there is a really tiny hole). I think the noise cancelling algorithm tries to suppress the ambiant noise from the voice... but apparently also suppresses a part of the voice itself for some users.....
What I tried was to put something like a tissue on top of this noise cancelling microphone, so that the algorithm has nothing to suppress to the voice. And that worked pretty well. Attached are recordings I made to show this. Sorry, they are in French, but I think there is no need to understand to see the difference.

Tomorrow, I will call Motorola France again and ask if there is a way to deactivation noise cancelling by software. In the meantime, I'll be glad to hear what you think about this and your results if you tried.

Yann

It's on page 28 of the thread. There are other replies after that. It's a good read for anyone with sound issues

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
They've swapped it three times already. They don't want to swap it again because all three have had the same problem.
Escalate the matter then. 3 devices is nothing. Not your problem the device is defective. You payed for the equipment they need to set you up properly. .

iPirate

Reaction score
Does it work in the store? I would make sure I could make a call in the store before I went home.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mstarbear.....Have you tried this to improve the quality of the voice carried from the phone? Just trying to help!

Improve Call Audio Quality (Doesn't seem to work if you have anything to do with Alltel!)

• Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and act as if you were going to call that number.
  • Enter 000000 for the SPC Password and then tap Verify
  • Tap on "04 Vocode"
  • Tap on EVRC-B than Apply
  • Tap the Home Screen button and the phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone
  • Explanation - This changes how the phone compresses and decompressed the call audio which improves the quality.
Please understand that this EVRC-B is not going to help everyone because it's not available in all areas of the U.S. and can actually distort even worse. That was an issue I had and I had to go back to the default setting. I just wanted to make sure people reading this understand its not always going to help and in my case and others it will make it worse.

BzB

Reaction score
sound quality issues (like mstarbear) might be location dependent. i wonder what the service is like in the areas these people live in, or if they're using a case or not, does the problem persist with bt earpiece, etc.

i was beginning to suspect tiller's decision to return the droid was ultimately going to be driven by $$ as much as any of the (fixable?) issues he was having. looks like my suspicion was correct. not much we can do to help unless someone is willing to pay his bill! lol

cb2000a

Reaction score
I have had zero problems with voice quality or battery. With the number of units being sold there is bound to be some lemons.