Good bye Droid, nice knowing ya!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Tillers_Rule, Jan 10, 2010.

1. thelion

thelion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am surprised to hear this. I wonder if you had a defective battery? My Droid was unplugged Saturday at 7am, used all day (texts, calls, little net surfing) and at 10am this morning (Sunday) it still had 70% of the battery left.

Compare that to the P.O.S. Eris that couldn't hold a charge on standby for 5 hours and well...let's just say I am satisfied.

But, that doesn't mean you weren't have issues. Clearly, you were. I am sorry to see you go. I hope your next device is better suited for you.

2. MarkB

MarkB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if there was some app running that was pulling data really often or something along those lines. I would have liked a look at the phone too in order to see what the OP was running. I've had great success with battery life, especially after the 2.01 update. My bluetooth is on ALL the time, wifi almost all the time, I installed that 2.1 based Weather/News app so at least something is updating periodically. Usually I have sync off since I don't care much about what comes to my gmail account, but my 2 POP3 accounts are set to update every 5 minutes with K9. GPS is OFF unless I'm using it. I get about 36 hours or so before I actually need to stick it on the dock or whatever.

3. On Droids

On Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0

Dayum...a new forum layout and 25,000 members and even the mods appear to be getting a tad harsh in their responses.

Good luck with your new phone Tiller....sorry to hear of your DROID problems

4. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Odd he didn't ask us about the problem before leaving.

30% to 10% overnight is really nice! I'm going to guess there was a problem with the wall socket like another poster had, where the switch was controlling lights and the socket.

:icon_ devil:

5. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Tigger is from Germany. He wished him well on his travels : )

No harshness involved.

6. frankvl

frankvl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed

We had 2 wall socket issues recently. Didn't affect the Droid. Thought the Braun toothbrush had died, bought another, oops...it was the wall socket. Snow blower died....we thought....but it was the wall socket. Both devices are old, so we were surprised it was not the device.

Love my Droid!

7. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Sorry to see you go. Unfortunately any mass produced item will have a lemon. I need to charge the Droid daily, but it's generally less than 2 hours. I broke down and got the home base, which has made it easier. If I had it connected via USB to my computer the charge level sometimes dropped because of the bad cell reception where my computer is. It used more power trying to get a good signal than what was going into the phone.

8. SGTiger

SGTiger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder if he was using strictly a charge from a computer's USB port instead of the wall socket? USB ports just deliver too little current to charge beyond a snail's pace. If an app is in the background draining the battery at the same time, it would charge very little.

I could see him condemning the droid as a bad design if there were tons of people complaining about it. I'm guessing it was just a PEBKAC problem.

9. spazma7ik

spazma7ik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to know what phone you plan on getting next? And you definitely just got unlucky, I have a perfect slider and can last a whole day without a charge with heavy use.

10. imiller913

imiller913 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well good luck with the next phone you get, I'm sure you will have no problems at all with any other new device.

11. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Methinks there's more than meets the eye here. He's been around and posted/read enough to know that there would probably been an easy solution - task killer, etc.

I'm wondering just what the reps at the store told him? Not sure if he even had them troubleshoot it, just asked for a replacement. Do THEY know? ;)

Wish he'd reply here - many answers from the membership - I'm sure we could resolve his issues in an hour or two! Two pages of replies - mostly offering assistance.

cuskit

12. neemo6

neemo6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont blame the op, im on the verge as well. I love this phone but battery is horrific, the main culprit is voice calls on my phone.

13. SGTiger

SGTiger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am on the phone all day with my job and also texting constantly, and the battery lasts all day with no problem. I have only seen this problem with certain ill-behaved apps.

Also calendar syncing became corrupted once and started syncing nonstop which caused a very quick battery drain even after a reboot. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. A third party app caused the corruption initially. Only a hard reset fixed it.

We have the advantage of an open architecture which will allow for a multitude of apps/abilities/advantages. With these advantages come problems that users have to work through, but its worth it to me.

14. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How much do you talk? According to Motorola the phone has up to 385 minutes of continuous usage, that is a little over 6 hours.

15. bigthinker

bigthinker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hate to see you go Tillers. I have had 0 Problems like the ones you are speaking of.

Where are you going to go, that looks like the burning question. We'll see you back again someday! Until then, Happy Trails.