Motorola Droid Returned

pyro6128

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

I was considering a Moto Droid or HTC Incredible, but I think I'd like a more reliable phone. I'd like to be able to do a little web browsing and texting and this phone seems more up my alley. Does it do GPS?

You're welcome -- you can browse and text but no GPS. Droid Navigate killed my battery in ~3 hours so no big loss. Maybe my battery was defective.

What mule said about gps is false. I have gps turned on my phone all the time. I never turn it off. I use my phone for navigation and it works great. I consistently get around 15 hrs of use a day. Then again, I don't make that many calls. I usually only talk on the phone maybe an hour or so a day (girlfriend). I do however browse the web a lot, play games, text, and do other things. But yes it absolutely does GPS fine. Now if youre gonna navigate for a very long time, thats going to kill the battery, but you have to remember that doing so not only has the gps on with apps running, but the screen is on that whole time too. Of course its going to use battery. Easy solution, get a car charger. I think his battery was defective.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Sorry you aren't happy with your Moto Droid... I also love mine.

The problem you mentioned about making calls... did you ever try to just hit the Voice Search button (I keep mine on the main screen) and say "Call.. blah blah"... if you do, then the person you want to call would pop up to the top and you just click on them... it works with bluetooth connected too.

Sounds like you didn't give it much of a chance... sorry.

A little tip for you melissad72, if you press the little magnifying glass icon on the bottom row of buttons, it does the exact same thing as the widget that you have on your home screen. I used to have it on there to, but then when I realized this, I just removed it. You can use that space for a different widget. No point in having a widget and a dedicated button that both do the exact same thing.

OP
Mule65

Mule65

Reaction score
What mule said about gps is false. I have gps turned on my phone all the time. I never turn it off. I use my phone for navigation and it works great. I consistently get around 15 hrs of use a day. .... I think his battery was defective.

Wow -- 15 hours on Navigate?! If that's true then my battery was certainly defective.

pyro6128

Reaction score
What mule said about gps is false. I have gps turned on my phone all the time. I never turn it off. I use my phone for navigation and it works great. I consistently get around 15 hrs of use a day. .... I think his battery was defective.

Wow -- 15 hours on Navigate?! If that's true then my battery was certainly defective.

Haha I didn't say that, I guess I should have been more clear. Having your gps enabled does not mean that you have navigation on. But yea it sounds like you had a defective battery. A car charger alleviates any navigation/battery issues. Sometimes I connect my phone to the car charger and play music and navigate at the same time.

Last edited:

SeattleUser

Reaction score
I'd like a phone that always works when I need to make or answer a call. The android phones are great multi-tasking devices, but reliable phone service is not one of their qualities. I charge my KRZR once a week or less, it never drops calls and the Bluetooth works great while driving. Other features are nice and fun, but above all I depend on my phone working all of the time.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you get a laptop that can last 10 hours a day without a charger attached? I am happy with my Droid lasting 14 hours a day, and I usually have gps and sync enabled, and either me or my friends are always playing games or surfing the web on mine. I had mine last 18 hours one day, and still 10% left when I plugged in.

The Droid is sturdy compared to other smartphones too. :p I saw someone break their iPhone screen when it slipped out of their pocket in class.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like a phone that always works when I need to make or answer a call. The android phones are great multi-tasking devices, but reliable phone service is not one of their qualities. I charge my KRZR once a week or less, it never drops calls and the Bluetooth works great while driving. Other features are nice and fun, but above all I depend on my phone working all of the time.

I have NEVER dropped a call on my Droid, and the call quality was better than my nv 2.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Comparing it to a laptop is excellent. It's a smartphone. It can do most of what a laptop does.

You should expect to charge it every day.

As far as task killers or trying to manage gps etc... those are for suckers. The phone handles all that stuff fine.

I've never had as good of call quality and I'm delighted with the features I get.

If I want a phone that will last days I'd get a flip phone but I'd probably never use it.

rkeller62

Reaction score

Not sure what you are talking about. My call quality is as good as a land line and I have yet to lose a call where the problem was on my end of the line.

OP
Mule65

Mule65

Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about. My call quality is as good as a land line and I have yet to lose a call where the problem was on my end of the line.

If I may, I go to the same places and call the same people. Over the last month I noticed the Droid had more trouble than my old LG phone ever did. Lost calls. Accidental disconnects. Sound breaking up and dropping in/out. My LG was reactivated and phone calls are fine again.

I think Android is awesome. I just want one that can go 2-3 days without charging -- maybe the upcoming LG Android will work. I think someone will figure out how to get longer battery life sooner than later. The more people complain the higher priority it will become.

rkeller62

Reaction score
md

If I may, I go to the same places and call the same people. Over the last month I noticed the Droid had more trouble than my old LG phone ever did. Lost calls. Accidental disconnects. Sound breaking up and dropping in/out. My LG was reactivated and phone calls are fine again.

I think Android is awesome. I just want one that can go 2-3 days without charging -- maybe the upcoming LG Android will work. I think someone will figure out how to get longer battery life sooner than later. The more people complain the higher priority it will become.

Well I would say there is a good chance you have a hardware issue then. My droid does as well as or better than any other vzw phone that it is near.

pyro6128

Reaction score

you are not going to find a compact smart phone that will go 2-3 days without charging. Thats not possible. If you want a phone that can go 2-3 days without charging, then a smart phone simply isnt for you. You need a dumb phone (not calling you dumb, thats just what theyre called)

OP
Mule65

Mule65

Reaction score
you are not going to find a compact smart phone that will go 2-3 days without charging. Thats not possible.

Not possible? Ever? Someone probably said the same thing about calculators.

pyro6128

Reaction score
you are not going to find a compact smart phone that will go 2-3 days without charging. Thats not possible.

again, I never said ever. Haha you have a tendency of of manipulating what you read to fit your purpose. Anyway, in the current market, you are not going to find a smart phone that does that. That is simply a fact. As someone said earlier, can you go 2 to 3 days with your laptop unplugged while using it? No. But I can close my macbook and have it on standby not doing anything for a couple of days. The point is if you want a phone that is going to do cool things, in a small package, then you have to sacrifice battery life. Thats just the way things are. Sure you can not use the features on your phone in order to save battery, but then why have a smart phone at all. Now you can also get an extended battery and sacrifice size for battery life, but again, a compromise must be made. I guarantee higher capacity batteries will come about, but that's not what we're dealing with today. And until the day comes where we have massive capacity batteries in a small package, we have to deal with the reality of what is available.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

again, I never said ever. Haha you have a tendency of of manipulating what you read to fit your purpose. Anyway, in the current market, you are not going to find a smart phone that does that. That is simply a fact. As someone said earlier, can you go 2 to 3 days with your laptop unplugged while using it? No. But I can close my macbook and have it on standby not doing anything for a couple of days. The point is if you want a phone that is going to do cool things, in a small package, then you have to sacrifice battery life. Thats just the way things are. Sure you can not use the features on your phone in order to save battery, but then why have a smart phone at all. Now you can also get an extended battery and sacrifice size for battery life, but again, a compromise must be made. I guarantee higher capacity batteries will come about, but that's not what we're dealing with today. And until the day comes where we have massive capacity batteries in a small package, we have to deal with the reality of what is available.

All quite true. And it's worth noting that compared to almost any other area of technology battery life has been one of the most difficult challenges for designers to conquer. Battery technology has advanced since the beginning of the 20th century, but nowhere nearly as much as almost any other component. You'll notice, for example, that your car battery is about the same size and weight as the battery in a 1940 Ford. There is still no substitute for size and weight, neither of which is desirable in a device to be carried around in your pocket.

It's for that reason among others that engineers focus so heavily on reducing power demand rather than increasing power supply.