I thought my Droid was bricked this morning

BavarianBuilt

Reaction score
Well I'm starting this thread to share my scary experience and possibly gain some knowledge as to why it happened.

Here's the story. I've been using my Droid as an alarm the past week. I love the rooster alarm, it wakes me right up! Anyways, last night i decided not to charge my phone overnight since it had 80% power, so I simply just placed it on my night stand. My alarm went off at 8:00am and me still being a bit tired, I hit the snooze button on the screen. I woke up later to no alarm and the instant feeling I had overslept. I went to my Droid and it appeared dead. I figured the battery had gone dead. So I plugged it in and rushed through my morning routine. On my way out the door I grabbed my phone and noticed that it was still dead. No response from the screen or power button and the LED light on the side was not illuminated while it was on the charger. Charging it seemed to have done nothing. Running real late at this point I rushed out the door and figured I'd just pop into a Verizon store sometime today and get a replacement. I decided first to exhaust all of my options and pull out the battery. I placed the battery back in and it fired right up! It had 70% battery too. At this point the phone is running as usual and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any ideas as to why my Droid would appear completely dead? Anyone have any similar experiences?

Manifesto Zero

Reaction score
Actually, yes. This happened to me the other day in class! I pulled out my droid to check the time and hit the lock button but nothing happened! I tried holding it down to power it on/off, nothing, I slid out the keyboard, and yet nothing. I pulled the battery, popped it back in and it was fine. I kind of panicked there for a second : /

iPirate

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice and is the only problem I have had with my Droid.

Most recent time I was getting an email outside and I pressed the power button and the screen was too dark so I pressed it again and then it wouldn't light up. :(

Pulled battery and it was fine.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way you are going to "brick" your Droid is if you are rooted and messing with things like new ROMS, flashing kernels, or messing with the framework. Even then, it's very unlikely that you will permanently brick your phone as long as you have a nandroid backup.

Manifesto Zero

Reaction score
The only way you are going to "brick" your Droid is if you are rooted and messing with things like new ROMS, flashing kernels, or messing with the framework. Even then, it's very unlikely that you will permanently brick your phone as long as you have a nandroid backup.

Mines not rooted, and the only ROMs I have are the ones for the GBA app I got from the market so I geuss I'm safe :happy:

rsdroid

Reaction score
This exact thing has happened to me twice. I've had my Droid since 12/08. The first time was a few weeks ago, the second time, yesterday.

Same thing, battery pull, and it was fine. Would like to know what's happening though! If it starts to occur more often, should I get it replaced? Droid has been working perfectly other than this one thing. :icon_eek:

Raeuber

Reaction score
Happened to me today. I have my droid since 12/25 and this was the first time. I had really bad service all morning and I thought the battery had run down trying to find towers, but after pulling and replacing the battery, I had 60% battery left. Hmm.... Anybody from Verizon on here like to chime in?

checho408

Reaction score
Same here this has happened to me once. Had my phone since 11/29

Murz

Reaction score
Happend to my Droid twice. The first time a battery pull fixed it, the second time I waited for like 5 minutes and the thing rebooted its self. Very strange...