Good bye Droid, nice knowing ya!

SGTiger

Reaction score
I have had zero problems with voice quality or battery. With the number of units being sold there is bound to be some lemons.

I agree. What is strange is that there are a few people that manage to get two or three so-called lemons. I am having a real hard time understanding that because a vast majority of Droid users have no such complaints.

cuskit

Reaction score
What I can't fathom is the VZW store letting him walk out of the store THREE times with a defective phone. Coincidence? From what I've read, the Droid is fast approaching one million sold. Across these boards of literally thousands and thousands - how many posts have we read of this same scenario? I believe I can count on two hands - maybe just one. $$$ is the driven factor here. A store manager would have his job on the line letting a customer go by giving three bad phones and ultimately losing him. Ten minutes talk time? Yikes! Nope - like I said earlier - methinks there is much more than meets the eye.

Not sure of his location - but try the four stores within twenty minutes of my location. They have tons of great working Droids! I'm in all four on a regular basis (hey - I'm a VZW store junkie) and though I see some issues, nothing like this. My store manager (I relayed him the story) said the only possibility would be a bad batch - but if the 3 phones were spread across a few weeks - than that would not likely be the culprit since he'd be accessing different deliveries of phones.

Send me yours - I'll swap! I know how to monitor and control my battery usage. Like most here - I'm charging only about every 1-1/2 days. And I talk WAY too much, watch a lot of uTube videos, I'm on Sports Tap constantly, and monitoring my eBay store sales of the MIKRADLE every half hour. I'm actually more than pleased with my battery life. I had initially figured I would need a backup battery - but after two months I see that is not necessary at all.

Good luck with your old phone! Perhaps that's best anyway if you were primarily concerned with just using it as a phone. A Droid is overkill for just talking.

Feeling bad to lose a comrade in arms - but the Droids are still selling well! :)

cuskit

actrack03

Reaction score
I've read the whole thread and didn't see any mention of checking the battery status to see exactly what is draining the battery. I think if you were to look at that, you might find that some app might be eating up your battery life. I go through my battery fairly quickly 6-8 hours but I don't do anything to conserve it because I am constantly near a charger so I see no need to turn off gps, display brightness, etc. I purchased both the multimedia dock and car dock so I have one wall charger at work, one charger at home, and a car charger. 6-8 hours of battery life with frequent use and no attempts to conserve battery life on a device that is as advanced as this is an exceptional battery life IMO. Sorry to see you go but you have to be satisfied with the device you hold. Good Luck!

Chris1

Reaction score
gotta say that my battery is a bit weird on droid. sometimes it will show 10 - 15%, then next second power off, no chance to save email, etc.

does anyone else get this?

Big Cam

Reaction score
Thats too bad, if you wait long enough the droid will be free and you could maybe try it again then.

LordKastle

Reaction score
No offense, but he is lying. I keep apps on that are active for hours upon hours and overnight like IRC that are active and stay connected using 3G and my battery lasts.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For a first generation it is a good phone. No matter what you get; phone airplane, car, computer, etc, first generations always going to have bugs. Some issues you will not come across until it is put in the field and used everyday. By the time the next gen droid is on the market it will be a solid smart phone with very little to no issues.
As far as battery life, it is part of having a smart phone. My pops called me the other day to tell me his :iphone:3gs (i sent him for xmas) burns through a battery and he will have to keep his charger on him. I noticed (as also mentioned on this and other forums) home replacements (ie home++) drains the battery quicker.
Hopefully you find a phone that you are cool with.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No offense, but he is lying. I keep apps on that are active for hours upon hours and overnight like IRC that are active and stay connected using 3G and my battery lasts.

idk I am hesitant to call some one out. I have seen my battery drain in half a day, now it was because I had home++ and apps running in the background. Just because your phone is working great does not mean someone else is not having problems. I have noticed the droid posting a network unavailable msg a couple of times, I know to switch to airplane mode then back to 3g to reset the network, but it happens. And as mentioned before, if he has a bad battery then it may not hold a charge very well.

BzB

Reaction score

no offense, but that's a childish statement. to call someone a liar when you don't know their use case, the apps they have installed, or the detailed problems they were having is immature.

only someone who is blinded like sheep grazing in the pastures of google would make such comments. :icon_ banana:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got nothing against the OP, I don't think his intent was to stir up the masses, but whenever one of these post comes up that's just what happens.

When I decided to trade my Storm 2 for the Droid I didn't go into the Storm 2 thread over in Crackberry and give any goodbye speeches because I knew what would happen. If you're leaving just leave and be done with it.

LordKastle

Reaction score
BZB..more of a Motorola pasture I suppose if anything...Google doesn't design hardware.
;)

neemo6

Reaction score
I dont blame the op, im on the verge as well. I love this phone but battery is horrific, the main culprit is voice calls on my phone.
How much do you talk? According to Motorola the phone has up to 385 minutes of continuous usage, that is a little over 6 hours.

For example im currently at 50% battery, battery usage is showing 50% for voice calls, next up is display at 15%. I have 37min16s of talk time today, no texting, wifi, gps, bluetooth all turned off. Brightness set to 25%. Signal has been 2bars or higher all day. Got on the web for less than 5 minutes just to check bank balance. That is the only use the phone has gotten today. I do not use the phone in the way I wish to intend to use it due to battery. I cant imagine if I held text conversations, played games, surfed the web, listen to music, or use the gps navigation feature, phone would die within 2 hours at the most. I will be going to the store and hope they give me a new battery, really hope its a bad battery and this is not typical battery life for this phone. I really enjoy this phone, but its totally useless if i cannot use it how I want to use it due to battery. My previous tp2 would last a week w/o a charge if i used it how I use this phone. Have my fingers crossed.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
A week on TP2?

On standby the entire time, sure. Othewrwise, no way.

neemo6

Reaction score
A week on TP2?

On standby the entire time, sure. Othewrwise, no way.

Exaggerating of course, but if all I did was make 2 phone calls all day on it I would not need a charge for days. I had bluetooth on all day long, and would use a wifi tether to my laptop for hours at a time. Some days i would forget to charge it and would not need to till the next evening. Certainly dont expect the same battery life, but something to where I can use it liberally at work 10hrs+, hit the gym/run errands, do whatever else before I finally get home and charge it when I go to bed.

iPirate

Reaction score
I dont blame the op, im on the verge as well. I love this phone but battery is horrific, the main culprit is voice calls on my phone.
How much do you talk? According to Motorola the phone has up to 385 minutes of continuous usage, that is a little over 6 hours.

For example im currently at 50% battery, battery usage is showing 50% for voice calls, next up is display at 15%. I have 37min16s of talk time today, no texting, wifi, gps, bluetooth all turned off. Brightness set to 25%. Signal has been 2bars or higher all day. Got on the web for less than 5 minutes just to check bank balance. That is the only use the phone has gotten today. I do not use the phone in the way I wish to intend to use it due to battery. I cant imagine if I held text conversations, played games, surfed the web, listen to music, or use the gps navigation feature, phone would die within 2 hours at the most. I will be going to the store and hope they give me a new battery, really hope its a bad battery and this is not typical battery life for this phone. I really enjoy this phone, but its totally useless if i cannot use it how I want to use it due to battery. My previous tp2 would last a week w/o a charge if i used it how I use this phone. Have my fingers crossed.
a week is amazing. I wouldn't compare that phone to any current smartphone though, they cannot do a week.

I am getting good battery life from my phone. It looks like Talking on the phone uses the most battery so far.