Gingerbread Features/Improvements Explained

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
ging.jpg

You might not know this, but when it comes to Gingerbread, I am very uninformed. I do not know what the improvements will be, except for the Sony PS3 integration SE is promising, I am clueless... But this article is for people like me.

The article talks about the changes that we should experience, the great improvements we should expect and some other things we should hope for.

Here is a quick excerpt:

These are the two biggest improvements, but there are a lot of other new features and bug fixes. Android 3.0 will be more stable, have an advanced task management system which will control hanged applications and battery life, it will have advanced support for Adobe Flash and WebM, better copy-paste functionalities, better support for video calls and 3D applications (with new OpenGL drivers).

Now go to their site and get the full improvement. Before you do so, keep in mind, if Froyo has already been rated better than iPhone software.... What shall happen with Gingerbread drops?

News via: Forum

Druuseph

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath with the ui 'enhancements' being a thing of the past. We're still going to have to wait for motorola to crap all over this release before we ever see it.

NattyBee

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath with the ui 'enhancements' being a thing of the past. We're still going to have to wait for motorola to crap all over this release before we ever see it.

So full of optimism, aren't you? :)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks Wen, nice report. Too bad it's an "insider" commentary rather than a confirmed story, but I'll take my Gingerbread (or is it "Garlic"?) any way I can get it!

Despite those requirements, a couple of developers have actually installed and ran Android 3.0 on a Motorola Droid, and while it was slow, it was pretty usable.
I am assuming that rooted users who overclock will have a better experience?

This is thanks to the UI code being integrated into the core of Android itself, which also means that third party interfaces like the Motoblur and Sense may be a thing of the past (the manufacturers can still choose to use them, though).
Definitely good news, as far as creating a consistent user experience (I don't mind optional UI skins). But does "integrated into the core" mean that modded themes will be a problem?

The release is set for late October, 2010, and that’s when we’ll know all the details but it’s believed that the Android 3.0 release date will be in time for this year’s autumn/winter smartphone collection.
Completely, totally, not gonna happen. After our experiences with Eclair and Froyo, who really thinks anything is coming end of October? OK, let me restate: Google will RELEASE source in October, but no phone manufacturer (OH, and don't forget the carrier!) will have it ready before XMAS. Just being realistic here.

-Matt

cjriddle22

Reaction score

I thought I had read somewhere that Gingerbread was so awesome there would be no need for the UI enhancements (ie blur and sense).

wynalazca

Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere that Gingerbread was so awesome there would be no need for the UI enhancements (ie blur and sense).

They are making the UI much better, but it's up to the manufacturer to decided if they want to skin it, and we all know they will because they are morons.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wonder if the DroidX will ever see this update. The DX specs will run it just fine, but will verizon update it or not since it is at the 'bottom' of the spectrum for the specs.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Wonder if the DroidX will ever see this update. The DX specs will run it just fine, but will verizon update it or not since it is at the 'bottom' of the spectrum for the specs.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Here's my take on this...the Droid X only got 2.2 last because, well, it was the last of the devices released that got the update. VZW went in order of phone releases, slightly straying due to the Droid 2 release.

Droid 1 was released first, got 2.2 first.
Droid 2 was being released during the 2.2 frenzy so I guess they went ahead and released the phone with 2.2 on it.
Droid Incredible was 2nd released, so it go the next round of 2.2
Droid X was released 3rd, so it got the last round.

I predict they'll go in proper order for 3.0: D1 and DInc (if eligible...don't see why not), then DX, then D2.

And yeah...even though they claim 3.0 will start being available at the end of October, I doubt Verizon devices will see it before the end of the year. I predict February at the earliest.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Thanks Wen, nice report. Too bad it's an "insider" commentary rather than a confirmed story, but I'll take my Gingerbread (or is it "Garlic"?) any way I can get it!

Despite those requirements, a couple of developers have actually installed and ran Android 3.0 on a Motorola Droid, and while it was slow, it was pretty usable.

This is thanks to the UI code being integrated into the core of Android itself, which also means that third party interfaces like the Motoblur and Sense may be a thing of the past (the manufacturers can still choose to use them, though).
Definitely good news, as far as creating a consistent user experience (I don't mind optional UI skins). But does "integrated into the core" mean that modded themes will be a problem?

The release is set for late October, 2010, and that’s when we’ll know all the details but it’s believed that the Android 3.0 release date will be in time for this year’s autumn/winter smartphone collection.
Completely, totally, not gonna happen. After our experiences with Eclair and Froyo, who really thinks anything is coming end of October? OK, let me restate: Google will RELEASE source in October, but no phone manufacturer (OH, and don't forget the carrier!) will have it ready before XMAS. Just being realistic here.

-Matt

Ooh goodie! They will release the source in October? I hope so! That means Gingerbread AOSP ROMs for everyone! WOOHOO!! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

-Matt

Ooh goodie! They will release the source in October? I hope so! That means Gingerbread AOSP ROMs for everyone! WOOHOO!! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

We would still need some sort of leak to get the proper drivers. If not, the 2.2 drivers might not be enough and a lot of hack work will have to happen.

Sent from my Droid

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Yeah, and Motorola and HTC are going to give up on the millions they've invested in foisting that on us to individualize their phones in a heartbeat? :)

The DX got the 2.2 update last because it was a major pain in the butt getting Blur shoehorned in there and performing properly. Now they know how to do it better (D2 and X) and both of those will be getting the updates faster this time. Well, faster comparatively. Still have to build the things from the ground up, after all. :)

M

Mattjames

-Matt

Yes it likely to be released by this month and Android fans are eying on it as everyone expecting much improved Android 3 OS.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seeing that they got 3.0 to run on a Droid my guess is we will see a rom for the d1 at a minimum, if not for other phones too. It will be interesting to see if it is the last Android version the original moto-droid gets from the devs in our community. I'd guess the bulk of D1 owners will have gotten another phone by about this time next year, with another 6 months on top of that seeing the rest of the d1 owners upgrading.