PS3 Phone Now In Picture Form

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
As an avid PS3 and PSP fan, I'm quite disappointed by this offering.

The rumored specs of this phone lags far behind the new Nintendo 3DS that will debut soon, which uses the NVIDIA Tegra2 chip. This seems decent for an Android gaming phone, but borders on terrible for a dedicated gaming platform.

The obvious absence of a joystick is a HUGE downgrade in the gaming experience; many Sony fans fully expect the next-gen PSP to offer dual joysticks, and I guarantee you, they will not buy this half-measure of a device. Instead, they'll wait for the legitimate PSP2.

One might speculate those two holes in the center of the phone are for joysticks, but if you compare it with the actual joystick mechanism on the current PSP, it doesn't seem likely. The Engadget article suggests the center area is a large touchpad; perhaps the holes are for touch-based joystick addons, which any serious gamer will agree is a poor substitute for the tactile feel and response of physical joysticks.

Also, if this phone offers games from a proprietary Sony/Android market that is separate from the PlayStation Store, it will be an abject failure. Not being backwards compatible, or being unable to purchase any current PSP digital downloads, will make this product dead-on-arrival like the PSPGo. In fact, it would be worse. On the plus side, it will make Android Market games much easier to play.

Serious gamers will wait for the PSP2. This phone is a watered down offering that only casual gamers will be tricked into buying. Unless the official specs reveal something miraculous, I'll be keeping my current phone and buying the PSP2.

P.S.: To whoever made those comments up there, according to market research and surveys, the average gamer is 34 years old. That's the average.

davethedroid

Reaction score
not anywhere in that article does it say its fake...the author of the article assumes its fake but from what i read, SONY WILL NOT COMMENT ON RUMORED devices...which i take as IM NOT GONNA TELL YOU S#!+

On the article i linked to earlier it now says UPDATE at the beginning of the article, but last night they said they contacted Sony SCEE and they said the pictures were definitely fake, so that's what i was going on.

So I don't know fake or not i hope it's not the PSP2, just a psp go phone. I hope there's 2 physical analog joysticks, not just some touchpad garbage.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
Im on the fence about this one. I mean I'm over 21 and I'm actively in the military and believe me my psp has gotten me threw some long fire guard and cq duties. With this I wouldn't have to carry my phone and my psp. Lack of a keyboard is no big deal as I rarely even use the one on my droid since I got swiftkey. I just wonder how good it will be at actual gaming.

I'm waiting to see what the psp2 has to offer but honestly if this phone was out today it would be the phone I'm most interested in. If for nothing else the emulators would be amazing on it :)

Varking

Reaction score
A bumper crop of circumstantial evidence surrounding the Android-based PlayStation Phone is starting to come together today -- when it rains, it pours, as they say -- and one particularly interesting thread suggests that the ecosystem surrounding the device might be called "Z-System." An astute tipster notes that the term appears in the upper left of one of our shots, which maps to a domain -- z-system.com, naturally -- that's owned by Sony Ericsson. Turns out the company also holds trademarks for Z-System in the US and Benelux trademark offices (among others, presumably) that were filed (and approved) this year, and the filing category includes "software for interacting or playing with electronic or video games," not hardware, so that strongly suggests we're looking at a platform here. We suppose it's possible that this specific device will be called Z-System, but we're going to float the theory that its actually underlying gaming platform that'll bear that name -- possibly a premium game store and set of software libraries that together will earn a device the Z-System badge. As we already saw with the BlackPad / SurfBook / PlayBook fiasco, trademarks don't mean much until a device is actually announced -- but it's something to keep an eye on.

[Thanks, Andrew]

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im curious... How many of you over the age of 21... would honestly be ok with having this in your pocket and showing it off and bragging about it.... I dunno me personally im 25 and i like playing games but i honestly would be embarrassed to have this as my cell phone... its def not professional at all... I dunno i just cant honestly see this selling good except to teenagers or game fanatics who are social shut ins (no offense to anyone on here... i dont wanna start any flame wars or anyting like that so please do not start any im just stating an opinion on this) If this takes off as more then just a gimmick phone ill be very suprised

The thing is, closed, it just looks like a run-of-the-mill portrait QWERTY slider. Actually, it looks a bit like a Blackberry Storm. But it definitely doesn't look like anything gaming related until it is opened.

I really don't see the Playstation tie-in, though, since this thing is an Android device. To me, it's just a Sony-Erricson device with good gaming controls. Unless this thing dual boots the PSP OS, the closest it's going to come to being a true PSP phone is thru the PSX4Droid emulator.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. This thing looks like it will ROCK for emulator gaming. I've often thought that given the (lack of) quality of the DROID's keyboard, the space would have been better taken up by dedicated gaming controls.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

A bumper crop of circumstantial evidence surrounding the Android-based PlayStation Phone is starting to come together today -- when it rains, it pours, as they say -- and one particularly interesting thread suggests that the ecosystem surrounding the device might be called "Z-System." An astute tipster notes that the term appears in the upper left of one of our shots, which maps to a domain -- z-system.com, naturally -- that's owned by Sony Ericsson. Turns out the company also holds trademarks for Z-System in the US and Benelux trademark offices (among others, presumably) that were filed (and approved) this year, and the filing category includes "software for interacting or playing with electronic or video games," not hardware, so that strongly suggests we're looking at a platform here. We suppose it's possible that this specific device will be called Z-System, but we're going to float the theory that its actually underlying gaming platform that'll bear that name -- possibly a premium game store and set of software libraries that together will earn a device the Z-System badge. As we already saw with the BlackPad / SurfBook / PlayBook fiasco, trademarks don't mean much until a device is actually announced -- but it's something to keep an eye on.

[Thanks, Andrew]

I call fake (regarding the image) - for one reason, and one reason only.

The menu refers to using the A button for Enter, and B for Back. There are no A and B buttons, if the interface matched the device it would say to hit the X button for Enter, and the Square button for Back (or at least that's how I remember the PSX convention being for controls)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you know how many 25+ men play Call of Duty? Did I make my point?

And let's not forget the PSP Go model of the PSP, which was basically designed to look more 'professional' and targeted an older demographic that didn't want to carry around a big, bulky device and a bunch of UMD discs.

And the Gameboy Advance SP.

Gaming <> Targeted to the younger demographic

Varking

Reaction score

[Thanks, Andrew]

I call fake (regarding the image) - for one reason, and one reason only.

The menu refers to using the A button for Enter, and B for Back. There are no A and B buttons, if the interface matched the device it would say to hit the X button for Enter, and the Square button for Back (or at least that's how I remember the PSX convention being for controls)

They explained the whole a and b button issue earlier. That is from an early prototype that was never intended for any outsiders to see, testing early software.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

DKunch

Reaction score
Im glad this is fake... This was just a gimmicky concept that looks like it belong on the game cases of wal mart instead of the display racks of the Verizon, AT&T or Sprint Stores..... Completely ridiculous

broosewee

Reaction score
With gingerbread's focus on creating a true and competitive gaming platform, combined with Sony trying to jumpstart the PSP again, it just makes sense for this to happen. I'm sure they're hard at work on developing a secure DRM style system to prevent massive pirating. Try as they might......

I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bradl3y

Reaction score
lol at the people saying all that grown up garbage and stuff.

geez it would suck to be your friend.