Gingerbread Features/Improvements Explained

diverbelow

Reaction score
Thanks Wen, nice report. Too bad it's an "insider" commentary rather than a confirmed story, but I'll take my Gingerbread (or is it "Garlic"?) any way I can get it!

I am assuming that rooted users who overclock will have a better experience?

Definitely good news, as far as creating a consistent user experience (I don't mind optional UI skins). But does "integrated into the core" mean that modded themes will be a problem?

Completely, totally, not gonna happen. After our experiences with Eclair and Froyo, who really thinks anything is coming end of October? OK, let me restate: Google will RELEASE source in October, but no phone manufacturer (OH, and don't forget the carrier!) will have it ready before XMAS. Just being realistic here.

-Matt

Well, the Nexus One will see 3.0 first since it is Google's dev phone.
But Google already discontinue Nexus One then how it come with G1????

You can still buy the N1 at Google's dev site and 3rd party retail stores for TMO.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Remember g1 still runs android 2.2 os if u hack . I highly doubt that droid 1 wont get 3.0 os and beyond it from xda developer

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Remember g1 still runs android 2.2 os. XDA Developer going to support droid 1 android 3.0 os will be fine for us droid users, just like droid eris runs android 2.2 os and htc hero as well.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They are making the UI much better, but it's up to the manufacturer to decided if they want to skin it, and we all know they will because they are morons.

This is so overdone....Some people I've seen like Sense and Blur.

The rooted users who obsess over customizing the font in the task bar are a very, very small % (probably well less than the estimated 1-2% of users who are rooted).

A good phone appeals to a large audience. Bad phones try to be all things to all people. It can't be done. Clearly the Mfrs are taking a page from IPhone's book recognizing that the big market of consumers want simple, easy and ready to use out of the box.

That said, they'd be smart to just provide an option to disable their custom Mfr UI. Better yet, come up with a good base and then sell upgrades, like you would an app. If people can develop themes for you to flash the Mfrs should see that as an opportunity. Maybe I won't want the version of Sense that comes with a new phone, but I might pay a few bucks for something that better fits my needs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to politely disagree. Since the D1 has reached its end of life cycle, I can't see them pushing it first especially since it has below the recommended specs to run it. I think they'll get the phones they are positive that it can go on first and then go with the D1 if they do it at all.

My guess would be VZW/Moto won't invest the resources to get it to the Droid. Let's say realistically you are talking Jan/Feb to begin with. The new LTE phones come out in May (I'm guessing a little sooner) and LTE is launching to cover 2/3 of VZW's customers. That, more than likely, will be a lot of people upgrading phones.

Easy solution is just to ignore the D1 and offer early 1-yr upgrades. If Gingerbread doesn't run flawlessly on D1, neither VZW nor Moto will want to release it to the D1. And, again, can't imagine expending the resources to tweak or water-down Gingerbread so it runs smoothly on the D1. The rooted community might get lucky being overclocked if a developer throws a rom our way.

OSX2000

Reaction score
Remember g1 still runs android 2.2 os if u hack . I highly doubt that droid 1 wont get 3.0 os and beyond it from xda developer
Remember g1 still runs android 2.2 os. XDA Developer going to support droid 1 android 3.0 os will be fine for us droid users, just like droid eris runs android 2.2 os and htc hero as well.
Have you seen a G1 running 2.2? It's horribly slow and unreliable. Just because one can do a thing, does not necessarily mean one must. If that's how 3.0 will run on my Droid, I'll stick with 2.2, thanks.

M

Mattjames

Have you seen a G1 running 2.2? It's horribly slow and unreliable. Just because one can do a thing, does not necessarily mean one must. If that's how 3.0 will run on my Droid, I'll stick with 2.2, thanks.
Yes that's correct!Even I haven't seen yet G1 with 2.2 !

maxohkc

Reaction score
The information on this site is untrue there is no requirement for Android 3.0 the Droid one will receive this update. Please no more panic about that

EgooEspada

Reaction score
This sounds great and all. But where are this guy's sources?
I mean, what he said is probably likely to be true for the most part, but theres no proof.
I just hope Google is going to really innovate for now like Andy had said..

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
wasnt the minimum requirements for gingerbread thing proven as false or soemthing? coulda swore i read that...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
wasnt the minimum requirements for gingerbread thing proven as false or soemthing? coulda swore i read that...
Yeah, the guy in charge of Android over at Google said the 1GHz processor thing was a load of hooey. He said they hadn't ruled Gingerbread out for the Droid.