Gingerbread Features/Improvements Explained

maxohkc

Reaction score
The problem with this article is it has all speculations. Remember how the 1ghz processor requirment was dismissed by Dan Morrill... and its called gingerbread because it is coming out in december not october.. but supposedly the sdk does drop next week but i have troubles believing that...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't. Here's my take on this...the Droid X only got 2.2 last because, well, it was the last of the devices released that got the update. VZW went in order of phone releases, slightly straying due to the Droid 2 release.

Droid 1 was released first, got 2.2 first.
Droid 2 was being released during the 2.2 frenzy so I guess they went ahead and released the phone with 2.2 on it.
Droid Incredible was 2nd released, so it go the next round of 2.2
Droid X was released 3rd, so it got the last round.

I predict they'll go in proper order for 3.0: D1 and DInc (if eligible...don't see why not), then DX, then D2.

And yeah...even though they claim 3.0 will start being available at the end of October, I doubt Verizon devices will see it before the end of the year. I predict February at the earliest.

I have one issue with your statement. It's far too logical. It's been shown not only by Droid but also by Blackberry that in the smart phone world logic does not apply.;)

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
The problem with this article is it has all speculations. Remember how the 1ghz processor requirment was dismissed by Dan Morrill... and its called gingerbread because it is coming out in december not october.. but supposedly the sdk does drop next week but i have troubles believing that...
So theres hope :D

sb1831

Reaction score
Wonder if the DroidX will ever see this update. The DX specs will run it just fine, but will verizon update it or not since it is at the 'bottom' of the spectrum for the specs.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Here's my take on this...the Droid X only got 2.2 last because, well, it was the last of the devices released that got the update. VZW went in order of phone releases, slightly straying due to the Droid 2 release.

Droid 1 was released first, got 2.2 first.
Droid 2 was being released during the 2.2 frenzy so I guess they went ahead and released the phone with 2.2 on it.
Droid Incredible was 2nd released, so it go the next round of 2.2
Droid X was released 3rd, so it got the last round.

I predict they'll go in proper order for 3.0: D1 and DInc (if eligible...don't see why not), then DX, then D2.

And yeah...even though they claim 3.0 will start being available at the end of October, I doubt Verizon devices will see it before the end of the year. I predict February at the earliest.

I'm going to have to politely disagree. Since the D1 has reached its end of life cycle, I can't see them pushing it first especially since it has below the recommended specs to run it. I think they'll get the phones they are positive that it can go on first and then go with the D1 if they do it at all.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You know, this thread is only 3 pages so far. Did anybody read the first page??? Sheesh, if one more person repeats my "not until 2011" prediction like it was their idea.... :icon_evil:

Seriously...LOL...:biggrin:

-Matt

sjohn902

Reaction score
Is anyone even looking at the source of where this came from? The website is a pretty typical spam site, I doubt ANYONE has ever heard of it, it has no sources. The original post in this thread cites another thread. The OP in that is this MattJames character, who consistently links to articles on this same site. He can't seem to use proper English syntax, but links to well written articles that he claims are his.

The original post here is nothing but speculation by someone with no sources or information.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Whether or not Gingerbread gets released to the AOSP or the features he is speculating on are correct there are MULTIPLE web sources that are claiming that the SDK will drop within a week or so. If that is the case we will be able to see the default Gingerbread UI through the emulator as well any new API's. So here's hoping!

diverbelow

Reaction score
Thanks Wen, nice report. Too bad it's an "insider" commentary rather than a confirmed story, but I'll take my Gingerbread (or is it "Garlic"?) any way I can get it!

Despite those requirements, a couple of developers have actually installed and ran Android 3.0 on a Motorola Droid, and while it was slow, it was pretty usable.
I am assuming that rooted users who overclock will have a better experience?

This is thanks to the UI code being integrated into the core of Android itself, which also means that third party interfaces like the Motoblur and Sense may be a thing of the past (the manufacturers can still choose to use them, though).
Definitely good news, as far as creating a consistent user experience (I don't mind optional UI skins). But does "integrated into the core" mean that modded themes will be a problem?

The release is set for late October, 2010, and that’s when we’ll know all the details but it’s believed that the Android 3.0 release date will be in time for this year’s autumn/winter smartphone collection.
Completely, totally, not gonna happen. After our experiences with Eclair and Froyo, who really thinks anything is coming end of October? OK, let me restate: Google will RELEASE source in October, but no phone manufacturer (OH, and don't forget the carrier!) will have it ready before XMAS. Just being realistic here.

-Matt

Well, the Nexus One will see 3.0 first since it is Google's dev phone.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Are you sure? After the way the N1 got kicked to the curb--by Google AND Verizon--I'm not sure anyone at Google knows that people still own and use it. :frown:

Afraid I haven't heard a "who's gonna get it first" argument I buy yet. It wouldn't surprise me if--all business factors considered--the actual timing comes down to a lot of random (i.e., implementation-specific) issues that none of us can predict.

-Matt

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Are you sure? After the way the N1 got kicked to the curb--by Google AND Verizon--I'm not sure anyone at Google knows that people still own and use it. :frown:

Afraid I haven't heard a "who's gonna get it first" argument I buy yet. It wouldn't surprise me if--all business factors considered--the actual timing comes down to a lot of random (i.e., implementation-specific) issues that none of us can predict.

-Matt
The G2.

10Char

M

Mattjames

Thanks Wen, nice report. Too bad it's an "insider" commentary rather than a confirmed story, but I'll take my Gingerbread (or is it "Garlic"?) any way I can get it!

Despite those requirements, a couple of developers have actually installed and ran Android 3.0 on a Motorola Droid, and while it was slow, it was pretty usable.
I am assuming that rooted users who overclock will have a better experience?

Definitely good news, as far as creating a consistent user experience (I don't mind optional UI skins). But does "integrated into the core" mean that modded themes will be a problem?

The release is set for late October, 2010, and that’s when we’ll know all the details but it’s believed that the Android 3.0 release date will be in time for this year’s autumn/winter smartphone collection.
Completely, totally, not gonna happen. After our experiences with Eclair and Froyo, who really thinks anything is coming end of October? OK, let me restate: Google will RELEASE source in October, but no phone manufacturer (OH, and don't forget the carrier!) will have it ready before XMAS. Just being realistic here.

-Matt

But Google already discontinue Nexus One then how it come with G1????

diverbelow

Reaction score

-Matt

Google did not kick N1 to the curb. You can still buy the N1 through their developer site. Sprint and Verizon kicked the N1 to the curb since they could not control the software (guessing there) and came out with Evo and DInc. I wished Google did release the N1 for those carriers as I would love to have the N1. The N1 was the first phone to get the official Froyo updates and continues to get updates from Google.