Froyo (2.2), When will it be released onto the MotoDroid?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
has the recent Motorola quotes changed anybody's thoughts on this?

--

“We’re excited to see Google’s news of the next version of the Android operating system and look forward to integrating it on our Android-based devices as it’s made available to the open source community.”
While I can’t comment on specifics, we do expect DROID by Motorola users will receive Android 2.2 as a software upgrade in the near future.”

Motorola Droid Will Receive Android 2.2 in the Near Future - SlashGear

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Full article:

You have to love the careful wording of any company out there. But, to be honest, this one from Motorola seems to ring a little differently. Almost like a different tone. Maybe that’s just because we have way too much faith, or hope. Either way, we reached out to Motorola, looking for a comment pertaining to future updates to their devices and how that all relates to Android 2.2, or Froyo if you prefer. And believe it or not, it’s good news.

“We’re excited to see Google’s news of the next version of the Android operating system and look forward to integrating it on our Android-based devices as it’s made available to the open source community.”
While I can’t comment on specifics, we do expect DROID by Motorola users will receive Android 2.2 as a software upgrade in the near future.”

There’s something to take away from this right from the start. They’re looking forward to integrating it in their Android-based devices. Yes, this could be just the standard PR talk, and basically “beating around the bush,” but here we are again hoping beyond hope that it means the MOTOBLUR devices out there aren’t being left out to pasture.

As for the DROID by Motorola, it gets a bit more buttoned down, but not much. They’re looking at upgrading the software in the “near future,” and all we can say at this point, is that better be sooner than later. Of course, Android 2.1, for all intents and purposes, just hit the DROID, so maybe we’re wishing on the stars to think that it could come sooner than, say, a month from now?

We know that the Nexus One is first in line for the update, and that HTC is planning to release Android 2.2 some time by the end of the year, so at least we have some kind of answer now about how the DROID stands in all of this. We’re still prodding our way around the folks at Verizon Wireless, hoping that we can dig out a far more detailed answer from them, so stay tuned.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I first read that article the other day I thought it reeked of hope more than anything else :)

Full article:

You have to love the careful wording of any company out there. But, to be honest, this one from Motorola seems to ring a little differently. Almost like a different tone. Maybe that’s just because we have way too much faith, or hope. Either way, we reached out to Motorola, looking for a comment pertaining to future updates to their devices and how that all relates to Android 2.2, or Froyo if you prefer. And believe it or not, it’s good news.

There’s something to take away from this right from the start. They’re looking forward to integrating it in their Android-based devices. Yes, this could be just the standard PR talk, and basically “beating around the bush,” but here we are again hoping beyond hope that it means the MOTOBLUR devices out there aren’t being left out to pasture.

As for the DROID by Motorola, it gets a bit more buttoned down, but not much. They’re looking at upgrading the software in the “near future,” and all we can say at this point, is that better be sooner than later. Of course, Android 2.1, for all intents and purposes, just hit the DROID, so maybe we’re wishing on the stars to think that it could come sooner than, say, a month from now?

We know that the Nexus One is first in line for the update, and that HTC is planning to release Android 2.2 some time by the end of the year, so at least we have some kind of answer now about how the DROID stands in all of this. We’re still prodding our way around the folks at Verizon Wireless, hoping that we can dig out a far more detailed answer from them, so stay tuned.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
well personally i think we'll have it by end of june at the latest and i'm hopeful for sooner, but i just didn't think that article helped in either direction

Lots of Negative Nancy's in this thread.

August, please.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
has the recent Motorola quotes changed anybody's thoughts on this?

--

Motorola Droid Will Receive Android 2.2 in the Near Future - SlashGear

That's encouraging for me. :)

I think Miami has his fingers to the pulse on this thing and he keeps indicating very soon. I'm still going with early June, wouldn't be surprised to see it sooner, and I have no idea what CK's source is. Then again, I have no idea who Miami's source is. So I guess that makes me an optimist.

J. Dub

Reaction score
I want to know when you guys think Froyo will be hitting our Moto Droids!

(just for fun, mods don't shoot me!)
:icon_eek: O look another thread talking about the same thing.

banned.gif

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is a lead in question for those that want to participate but it is relevant to OP's poll/question..It's 2 parts and please elaborate.

Who do you think SHOULD get the update first and who do you think WILL get the update first?

Droid or Incredible?

armeddroid

Reaction score
1. I think the Motorola should get the update since it seems to be the only phone that gets the updates and has the least amount of issues.
Seems like the other phones are having issues once they get their update.
2. I would think it would be NEXUS ONE, INCREDIBLE, EVO 4g and then last DROID.
But hey..just a thought.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a lead in question for those that want to participate but it is relevant to OP's poll/question..It's 2 parts and please elaborate.

Who do you think SHOULD get the update first and who do you think WILL get the update first?

Droid or Incredible?

I think I should get it first because I'm a mod in this forum.:D

Oh, you weren't talking about that?

I say the Droid should get it first because that's what Google said was going to happen. Nexus 1 then the Droid. And I believe that's whats going to happen.

dbaker912

Reaction score
Do you think a hacked version would be available BEFORE the official Verizon release. Similar to 2.1?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see that happening with this release. There was just too much fanfare about this update, 2.1 didn't have all of that. Plus part of what Froyo is suppose to do is solve some of the "fragmentation" issues of previous OS so that they can add on to it on an "as needed" basis.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I might as well get in on it too...

I put by the end of June. It came so soon for the Nexus...plus they were giving away those phones at the conference. The first phones to get it should be the ones they gave away at the conference.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It definitely appears that the various manufacturers (HTC, Motorola) and the various carriers (VZW, Sprint) were caught flat-footed by Google's release of 2.2 for the Nexus. Whatever update and marketing plans they've had for various devices look like they've been knocked into a cocked hat.

And from various interviews with Andy Rubin of Google, it looks like it was an intentional effort to pressure their "partners" to keep up.