My First Droid - Any tips?

Future24

Reaction score
Okay guys my Droid X will be here by 3 pm tomorrow. This will be my first Droid phone, (I'm coming from a Blackberry Storm 1 and an env 1 before that...).

So I was wondering if anyone had some great tips.

What should I do first? What should I download first?

What are must haves? What's nice to have? What's fun to have? Anything I should consider getting.

Anything will be greatly appreciated!! I don't want to be LOST on this phone when I get it tomorrow.

Also: I'm taking it into Verizon to get it activated and contacts switched over, will they install Android 2.2 for me?

And what is this Froyo 2.2 I've been reading about? Same as Android 2.2?

Sorry I am a droid noob...

ChugIt

Reaction score
2.2 is Froyo yes. Unfortunately they suspended the update will not come until "late summer" (official word). It will have 2.1 firmware until the update. You NEED a flashlight app, it will come in handy at some point. Put it on your desktop for easy access. Pandora and Slacker radio are a must have too!

Reaction score
Download whatever u want but stay away from the anti virus and task killer apps.

Verizon will not upgrade you to 2.2 because 2.2 is not available for the droid x the update was only sent out to the droid 1.

You dont need to take your phone to the store when you get it, turn off your old phone turn on the x and itll walk you through activation and will activate itself over the phone going to verizon is not necessary.

and yes froyo is googles codename for 2.2, eclair was 2.1, and gingerbread is 3.0

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well leave 2.2 (Froyo) alone for now it will be out soon enough.

-MY- suggestion is you go to AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market and get all you apps picked out. Once you have app brain and FastWeb Installer from the Market you can install the rest of your apps in a Flash. Via either your phone or the web. Here is the stuff -I- have loaded as an idea of what -I- like.

If you do not have a Gmail account I would suggest you get one and sync all your contacts with your Gmail account. (You can export out Vcards from your computer Mac or PC.) Once you get your phone and set up your Gmail account on it all the contact information will sync automatically.

OP
F

Future24

Reaction score
2.2 is Froyo yes. Unfortunately they suspended the update will not come until "late summer" (official word). It will have 2.1 firmware until the update. You NEED a flashlight app, it will come in handy at some point. Put it on your desktop for easy access. Pandora and Slacker radio are a must have too!

What's the flashlight do?

Thank you to all above posts.

iPirate

Reaction score
Turns the LEDs on the phone on, so they can be used as a flashlight, very useful.