Froyo (2.2), When will it be released onto the MotoDroid?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
It definitely appears that the various manufacturers (HTC, Motorola) and the various carriers (VZW, Sprint) were caught flat-footed by Google's release of 2.2 for the Nexus. Whatever update and marketing plans they've had for various devices look like they've been knocked into a cocked hat.

And from various interviews with Andy Rubin of Google, it looks like it was an intentional effort to pressure their "partners" to keep up.

agreed 100%,

and i gotta admit, i love google's aggressive stance... i can't think of any other companies so aggressive for their customers :)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
2. I would think it would be NEXUS ONE, INCREDIBLE, EVO 4g and then last DROID.
Right I agree with this. Makes sense from an operators point of view.

HTC has already said 2.2 won't be released until the end of the year on their devices. So where does that leave us?

If I was an operator would I upgrade the Droid before my newer model(s) which haven't received one update? No way....

The more I think about this the more I think the only way we will see 2.2 "in the near future" is if we are rooted or we buy the Droid 2/Shadow/Incredible.

I also think that if the Droid does see it it wont be till years end.

Never also looks like a possibility : )

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if you see 2.2 real soon. The nexus one and the droid are both running stock android. Why would it be so hard for 2.2 to be on a Droid next month? And the Droid is still a powerful competitor in the Android market. How many Android phones have a keyboard + these specs. Not many if I remember correctly.

Also the Droid is a developers phone. Why would Google be giving out a phone right along side their nexus one when it wouldn't be getting updates just along side newer models?

And the Evo and Incredible getting updates before the Droid? Definitely not. Froyo will be on the Droid before many, many other phones. Just look at how long it took 2.1 for the Hero/Eris/Moment.

Now, when it comes to Gingerbread, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take a little while longer to get the Droid updated since by the end of the year the Droid will be old news and the hardware will be not very appealing.

Just my two cents/take on this situation. :)

Oh, and I voted for the end of June. Call me crazy, but your also calling 51 other people crazy too. :p

Last edited:

ExactDroid

Reaction score

rkeller62

Reaction score
2. I would think it would be NEXUS ONE, INCREDIBLE, EVO 4g and then last DROID.
Right I agree with this. Makes sense from an operators point of view.

HTC has already said 2.2 won't be released until the end of the year on their devices. So where does that leave us?

If I was an operator would I upgrade the Droid before my newer model(s) which haven't received one update? No way....

The more I think about this the more I think the only way we will see 2.2 "in the near future" is if we are rooted or we buy the Droid 2/Shadow/Incredible.

I also think that if the Droid does see it it wont be till years end.

Never also looks like a possibility : )

Another way to look at this CK:
Droid has been one of your most successful smartphones and has put your company back at the forefront of the mobile phone market.

As a carrier, you have millions of customer not eligible for an upgrade for well over a year (most people will wait for their ne2).

Do you alienate all of these people by holding back on an update that provides features that virtually everyone will love in the hopes that a very small fraction of them may buy something new?? I really doubt it.

Motorola needs to prove to people that they will stand behind their product by providing upgrades like this or a lot of people will look elsewhere for their next Android phone.

Also, as has been stated many times in here, vzw makes nothing on the phones. Their is little incentive for them to get a customer into a new phone when they still have well over a year on their contract.

Droid101

Reaction score
I am going to cite the fact that....
1. Adobe had stated the Droid would have flash by June which if you look at it then it could mean that's when Motorola and Verizon expect to release it.

2. The fact google stated the nexus one and Droid will be the first devices updated seeing how the nexus one had already started then the Droid shouldn't be far along.(2-3 weeks for vzw to test it still falls in June.) And seeing how I feel Motorola had 2.2 before google announced it so they could test it and be on schedule for a quick release.

So using those two examples I am going to say that June is going to be a good month for android users (with great new apps coming out) and for motor Droid users. I think 2.2 no later than the end of June.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I'm guessing the Moto Droid will see froyo in July or August. Just before the release of the Shadow/Droid 2. That device is going to be shipped with Android 2.2.

gszeman

Reaction score
What I'm wondering is why was there yet another thread started on this...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Droid has been one of your most successful smartphones and has put your company back at the forefront of the mobile phone market.

As a carrier, you have millions of customer not eligible for an upgrade for well over a year (most people will wait for their ne2).

Do you alienate all of these people by holding back on an update that provides features that virtually everyone will love in the hopes that a very small fraction of them may buy something new?? I really doubt it.

Motorola needs to prove to people that they will stand behind their product by providing upgrades like this or a lot of people will look elsewhere for their next Android phone.

Also, as has been stated many times in here, vzw makes nothing on the phones. Their is little incentive for them to get a customer into a new phone when they still have well over a year on their contract.
Yes very well thought out scenario and I won't say you are wrong and I won't say you're right.

All the scenarios make sense to me actually EXCEPT the June release. I'd bet the farm it won't happen but I may end up being wrong (won't be the first time)

I think it can go 2 ways. A late summer August/September or they won't update the current model.

I am leaning more towards the current model not being updated at this time.

Their comment "Not being able to go into specifics but the Motorola Droid users will be updated" leads me to believe they are talking about the next iteration of the Droid.

Again this is only my opinion and I'm thinking from a operator/manufacturers point of view.

They already gave us a fantastic device running the current OS. What better way to get people into the latest and greatest by offering new hardware and a new OS.

People payed full retail for the Incredible. So there is a market for this type of buyer.

Beside that market there is a whole other customer base. (New contracts etc etc) Why buy the Droid 2 when I can get basically the same piece of hardware for cheaper? They will cut into those sales and Motorola wants to move NEW product.

Yeah people will be upset but thats technology. It evolves and people may not like that but they understand it.

If the Droid doesn't get 2.2 does it make it a terrible device? Not at all. It runs great and is still a fantastic device.

Just a thought: The devices that were released last year become current with 2.1 and the ones released this year are brought current with 2.2.

barryp3403

Reaction score
Bluetooth makes me disagree

If the Droid doesn't get 2.2 does it make it a terrible device? Not at all. It runs great and is still a fantastic device.

Just a thought: The devices that were released last year become current with 2.1 and the ones released this year are brought current with 2.2.

I would agree except that there is a safety issue. Many can't fully use hands free bluetooth on their Droid that they were able to use in the past on their regular (dumb) phones. This is a safety issue and, if Motorola and VZW could have upgraded the Droid to work with this but choose not to that could leave people angry enough to start a class action suit in which every fender bender suffered by a Droid owner becomes actionable. Bluetooth function is the one safety issue to be upgraded in 2.2.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
all i care about is RELEASE THE SOURCE FOR DROID!!!! RAWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus:

mikes

Reaction score
This is a safety issue and, if Motorola and VZW could have upgraded the Droid to work with this but choose not to that could leave people angry enough to start a class action suit
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

That was funny.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Their comment "Not being able to go into specifics but the Motorola Droid users will be updated" leads me to believe they are talking about the next iteration of the Droid."

CK,

Generally I agree with you on most topics, however I disagree here. Since right now there is only one moto Droid, then they are saying that we will get an update.

If they wanted to reference a newer version I believe they would have said so.

I agree to disagree, because in any case, we both know it will be ported over anyways :)

Reaction score
Well the Motorola Droid is supposedly a "Google Experience" phone, correct? Isn't that *supposed* to mean we get priority treatment when it comes to updates?

I would be genuinely shocked if the mdroid didn't get the 2.2 update - soon. I believe it would be a blow to Android's reputation/geek cred if a so-called "Google Experience" device didn't get the latest updates on a timely basis. I have a feeling that Google made sure such "experience" phones would get these updates as fast as possible through agreements with the manufacturer and carrier. They are competing with Apple afterall, and every iteration of the iPhone OS is available on every device at the same time. This is a major selling point of Apple's (device/firmware support), and I doubt Google would overlook that.

Just my $0.02.

rkeller62

Reaction score

Yes very well thought out scenario and I won't say you are wrong and I won't say you're right.

All the scenarios make sense to me actually EXCEPT the June release. I'd bet the farm it won't happen but I may end up being wrong (won't be the first time)

I think it can go 2 ways. A late summer August/September or they won't update the current model.

I am leaning more towards the current model not being updated at this time.

Their comment "Not being able to go into specifics but the Motorola Droid users will be updated" leads me to believe they are talking about the next iteration of the Droid.

Again this is only my opinion and I'm thinking from a operator/manufacturers point of view.

They already gave us a fantastic device running the current OS. What better way to get people into the latest and greatest by offering new hardware and a new OS.

People payed full retail for the Incredible. So there is a market for this type of buyer.

Beside that market there is a whole other customer base. (New contracts etc etc) Why buy the Droid 2 when I can get basically the same piece of hardware for cheaper? They will cut into those sales and Motorola wants to move NEW product.

Yeah people will be upset but thats technology. It evolves and people may not like that but they understand it.

Yes, I agree that this could definitely be how it plays out. However, in the long run all Motorola really cares about is selling phones and making a profit. Unless the new device(s) have a significantly higher profit margin for them, which is doubtful, they really won't care much which devices are selling as long as they are Motorola devices.

Also, in the quote that has been floating around they are referring to a specific device: "While I can’t comment on specifics, we do expect DROID by Motorola users will receive Android 2.2 as a software upgrade in the near future.” Companies are typically very careful about differentiating between a generic product family (i.e., Android phones) and one specific device in that family (DROID by Motorola). The next version will have a different name, like DROID 2 by Motorola. So, to me, the scary phrase in that quote is: "we do expect" which could turn into the scenario that you outlined. Hoping that Motorola is not that short sighted though.