Froyo (2.2), When will it be released onto the MotoDroid?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have it on very good source now that we can expect this within 2 weeks easily. My source is telling me it is in testers hands at this time.

I've indicated that I thought it would be in early June all along. I'm now saying probably the first week of June. Maybe even sooner.

ExactDroid

Reaction score
I have it on very good source now that we can expect this within 2 weeks easily. My source is telling me it is in testers hands at this time.

I've indicated that I thought it would be in early June all along. I'm now saying probably the first week of June. Maybe even sooner.

hopefully you have a new source from last time lol

mikes

Reaction score
mikes, that article was written on November 5, 2009. And I don't believe it's going to double the price an additional 30.00. Going off topic a bit with that.
And your point is? VWZ has promised official support for tethering. That requires 2.2. That should provide some assurance for those here who are questioning whether 2.2 will appear on Droid.

VZW may charge more for tethering, such as the $30 mentioned in the article, or they may provide a Palm Pre Plus/Pixi Plus free plan. It doesn't matter, as they still need 2.2 to provide official support.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well, that was all of DF saying it was going to be on such a day. We don't have that unity here this time, I know other mods who probably think I'm crazy making this prediction so it is a bit different from last time. And my source is different.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, that was all of DF saying it was going to be on such a day. We don't have that unity here this time, I know other mods who probably think I'm crazy making this prediction so it is a bit different from last time. And my source is different.

You may well be right, Hook. But I'd only note that in my experience the fact that testing is underway doesn't mean that a release is imminent. In fact, I'm not surprised that that VZW is already testing 2.2. If they weren't, I'd be even more skeptical about a planned release.

Rather, I think the challenges to VZW's release schedule lie in...

() Determining what Verizon plans to do about tethering and designing the billing infrastructure to support it. (It appears, by the way, that it's already partly in place on their website, just not "turned on" for the Droid.)

() Assuring that they (and their release subcontractor) is prepared to roll out release to a much larger volume of users than was even the case for 2.1.

() Preparing their support infrastructure for the inevitable flood of questions/problems that always results from a major software upgrade, especially from those who haven't been through it before. (Just consider the number of calls VZW will get if they implement five home screens in 2.2.)

() Determining the impact of upgrading the Droid on a major promotion campaign for the Incredible.

In contrast to Google, VZW faces a mountain of challenges in implementing the 2.2 upgrade. Google sold a few hundred thousand N1's, mainly to technically savvy geeks. Verizon has sold several million Droids to a much broader consumer segment. I'm sure a very high priority for VZW is to avoid a replay of the 2.1 fiasco. And if they care at all about the sales of the Incredible, they have to be ready with answers about a release schedule for its 2.2 upgrade.

Perhaps all of these issues have already been resolved and all that stands in the way of releasing the 2.2 upgrade is a thumbs up from testing. But from my experience in software releases, that is very unlikely.

rooster.droid

Reaction score
I chose by the end of August since this poll is flawed. Even if it came out tomorrow it would still be out by the end of August, so unless if comes out after the end or August or not at I win. Along with those who voted with me. Having said all that. does it matter?

flame on

pushes up taped glasses and adjusts his pocket protector

Last edited:

brando56894

Reaction score

I seriously hope youre right, I cant wait any longer! lol

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may well be right, Hook. But I'd only note that in my experience the fact that testing is underway doesn't mean that a release is imminent. In fact, I'm not surprised that that VZW is already testing 2.2. If they weren't, I'd be even more skeptical about a planned release.

From March:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-forum/30929-android-2-2-a-4.html#post321244

If true, you can take it two ways... 1) It's been tested on the Droid for longer than we thought which could be a good sign for us now. Or 2) stories of it being tested now might not be a good indicator of when we'll be receiving it.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
CK,

Generally I agree with you on most topics, however I disagree here. Since right now there is only one moto Droid, then they are saying that we will get an update.

If they wanted to reference a newer version I believe they would have said so.

I agree to disagree, because in any case, we both know it will be ported over anyways :)
They really can't say "We are going to be releasing it on our newest Droid 2 and Xtreme models" Nobody is supposed to know about those wink wink

The thing that jumps out at me is when he said "We do expect" that's not a definite statement. People say things like that when they are not sure OR when they are sure and don't want to say anything more.

He could have easily said "Yes we are going to be updating the Droid by Motorola in the very near future" but he didn't.

He knows the answer and chose to spin it. Something to hide?

I'm not saying it won't be released, but I'm very skeptical and I am not so sure.

Hey I do agree 100% with you though. I said in another thread the Moto Droid will surely get 2.2...if you're rooted : )

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess the questions and theories abound.

We do know this:

For a phone being compared to every other new thing out there, the Moto Droid is still being shown more often in advertising than any other, bar the incredible. We have seen NEW Droid commericals, and these have to go past moto and VZW.

It still warrants an upgrade due to the time constraints mentioned before, I myself have 1.5 or so before upgrade time.

As to when, it is possible that as Hooky's source indicated, that it's in the hands of testers right now. With everything said I can go with that 50%.
It begs the question: Could VZW/Moto get the Droid Tested on 2.2 with no leaks? :)

N1 gets it first because Google doesn't have to pass it thru anyone, just send it out to the units.

Now, some rumors floating around say that VZW wouldn't be involved in updates. Possible? Perhaps. Tethering questions abound, don't know if other changes in 2.1 to 2.2 require any "testing" of network performance, I would think so but you get my point, if it isn't changing basebands, etc... (If I'm wrong, let me know, NBD).

My feeling towards early June go like this:

1. Getting it out to a popular phone that is still pushed hard on TV, etc, and with a good segment of the population BEFORE the Apple Conference is a win for both VZW and Moto.

2. Add to that Adobe making public statements about flash being on the moto Droid, and needing 2.2 as a requirement (Didn't this change? Thought 2.1 was going to be it....) makes it a DEFINATE that the moto Droid would get the update.

Kinda locks it in eh? Just as to when you go back to #1.

I would like to think that it can be implemented now by VZW, like the palm with a 5Gb cap, and then they can change it later on to charge, we know that is going to happen, but it would be nice to be wrong there.

It's going to be a long June isn't it? :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get that this discussion is the point of this thread, but my wife walked in last night as I was catching up on reading some of this, asked me what it was about so I told her. Her response... "Seriously? People are taking time out of their lives to discuss this, especially when they have zero control over it?"

Either she's a lot smarter than me/us or she just doesn't get it. ;)