unofficial froyo vs official froyo

jchavez

Reaction score
I have a question for those on the know, if I already have an unofficial froyo rom, will I want to install the official froyo when it comes out? and if I do, will I loose my root? and is there a need to do that? what is the difference between the official froyo release and the unofficial froyo's around?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if you install the official vzw froyo you will lose root, similar to when installing vzw 2.1. If you install a dev version of vzw froyo (which is what we have now) then you will be fine.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i believe the frf84b to be the exact same, those who have tried to use the tethering in the settings can attest it now sending you to the vzw website to sign up for the tethering plan.

Can you say Pdanet.

iPirate

Reaction score
Dammit that was one of the important features I was looking for. Looks like I am going to root soon.

OP
jchavez

jchavez

Reaction score
wow, lucky us that have the unofficial froyo, I am happy with my froyo version, no need for more.

iPirate

Reaction score
Does tethering require root for froyo? I wonder if someone can make an app that "unlocks" tethering the way google intended it

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can still tether using pdanet...just can not tether through the options in settings any more
2 weeks ago when the orginal leak was released you was able to tether directly through the phone by going in to settings<wireless bluetooth< usb tethering.

If you are rooted you can use wifi tethering.

If you are not just use pdanet/easytether.