Did Froyo Live up To Its Hype? Are You Satisfied?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gregsjh13, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts.... from someone who was STOCK non-rooted prior to this.

Update provided a lot of changes in the look and responsiveness of my Driod (even prior to adding overclocking)

Once overclocked, it was like I had a brand new phone.

BT dialing works, but WTF did they do to the volume level? I can barely hear the phone telling me the command information. Also, it seems to have some recognition issues that I never have with the Google voice search and navigation.

I had market problems (fixed easily with the update).

The one big thing I hope gets addressed in the final release is the sensitivity of the TS in Landscape mode. I turned on the pin lock function, and when in landscape it enters double, triple, and sometimes quadruple entries when I press a key. This never happens in portrait mode.

Last thing I would like to see is for us to be able to add and remove the icons showing in CAR MODE.... there are blank panels, but you can't add to them?

Haven't added any theme's, and after reading of the issues that people are having with them I will likely hold off.

The radio updates did improve speed for me, but it seems so intermittent. One speed test shows great speed and the next on the same server will show horrid results. You need to perform several tests and average your results.

EDIT: Oh yeah.... YEAH FOR FLASH!!!!!!!!!

#73 Technoman, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    But what does "update the App" mean? As said repeatedly, you CAN move apps to SD with Titanium and it works. But my question is what exactly is supposed to work? Is there supposed to be some additional ram/memory mgmt benefit I'm not seeing? My understanding is all apps2sd really does is free-up physical program memory, which for most people without a ton of apps or some huge games that have plenty of free space probably won't see any benefit from apps2sd.

I know if I move Pandora, for example, the widget disappears from my widgets list, but I can still launch the program and it plays fine. It is DEFINITELY on my SD card. Non-system programs with no widgets appear to work just fine.

FYI, I just discovered that if you are using Titanium to move cards to SD, it puts them in a higher level folder /mnt/asec. So if you copy you sdcard to computer to back-up, as I frequently do, you LOSE those sdcard backups. So you'll have to manually copy the asec folder to sdcard directory and, I'm guessing, re-paste if you ever do a format SD like I did.

#74 kodiak799, Jun 12, 2010
  3. captaincanada84

Ratings:
    +0
    After having Froyo for a few days (Bugless Beast v0.1)...I have to say this is the fastest my Droid has ever been (overclocked 1.1GHz). I was running a CyanogenMod rom before this (also overclocked to 1.1GHz)...and there's really no comparison. I'm getting Linpack numbers that are double what I was getting on 2.1. If you want fast...try 2.2. It's also so much more stable than I ever expected. I havent had any force close issues at all.

4. gregsjh13

gregsjh13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update the app means what i said.THE Developer needs to make changes to the app in order for it to work properly.

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Again, what does "work properly" mean? Titanium moves the apps to SD and they seem to work just fine to me.

Just trying to understand what benefit there is to this beyond people who have so many apps loaded they've maxed out the internal storage.

6. thebourbonnflip

Ratings:
    +0
    i was compelled to rooting after the announcement here..but then again, im just going to wait till the official official froyo that gets releases via ota, or manual update.

7. gregsjh13

gregsjh13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL. The developer can choose if they want to Deny or Allow this feature.If they allow App2sd you can use it.If they deny it there will be no way to use it with that particular app. I hope i answered your question now.

#79 gregsjh13, Jun 12, 2010
  8. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    some people are having froyo run like a Thoroughbred horse, and some others aren't having any luck .. If you want to evaluate a beta version, fine, but don't expect it to be an official release, lol!

9. gregsjh13

gregsjh13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol Agreed.But i have to also say this is the best Beta i have ever seen.:)

10. Anomander

Anomander Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I'm happy with it. Phone is faster and having Flash is nice. A huge improvement on the camera part has been very good too. Now I can think about using the camera on the phone since before it was always so dang slow.

11. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you, and mine runs like a thoroughbred horse, no complaints, except adobe flash needs refinement, but also works very well:)

12. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Ratings:
    +0
    An improvement.. yes
    Worth all the hype.. no

But the one thing I look forward to is source release.. there are always bits of unfinished or commented out code and once outside dev get a hand in it and their minds go in different directions and have a fresh look then really great things can happen.

Search tags for this page

convert apk to asec