Did Froyo Live up To Its Hype? Are You Satisfied?

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
If the apps support it now that means the Developer updated the App with i believe the 2.2 Sdk.I may be wrong though.

But what does "update the App" mean? As said repeatedly, you CAN move apps to SD with Titanium and it works. But my question is what exactly is supposed to work? Is there supposed to be some additional ram/memory mgmt benefit I'm not seeing? My understanding is all apps2sd really does is free-up physical program memory, which for most people without a ton of apps or some huge games that have plenty of free space probably won't see any benefit from apps2sd.

I know if I move Pandora, for example, the widget disappears from my widgets list, but I can still launch the program and it plays fine. It is DEFINITELY on my SD card. Non-system programs with no widgets appear to work just fine.

FYI, I just discovered that if you are using Titanium to move cards to SD, it puts them in a higher level folder /mnt/asec. So if you copy you sdcard to computer to back-up, as I frequently do, you LOSE those sdcard backups. So you'll have to manually copy the asec folder to sdcard directory and, I'm guessing, re-paste if you ever do a format SD like I did.

Update the app means what i said.THE Developer needs to make changes to the app in order for it to work properly.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Update the app means what i said.THE Developer needs to make changes to the app in order for it to work properly.

Again, what does "work properly" mean? Titanium moves the apps to SD and they seem to work just fine to me.

Just trying to understand what benefit there is to this beyond people who have so many apps loaded they've maxed out the internal storage.

Reaction score
i was compelled to rooting after the announcement here..but then again, im just going to wait till the official official froyo that gets releases via ota, or manual update.

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score

Again, what does "work properly" mean? Titanium moves the apps to SD and they seem to work just fine to me.

Just trying to understand what benefit there is to this beyond people who have so many apps loaded they've maxed out the internal storage.

LOL. The developer can choose if they want to Deny or Allow this feature.If they allow App2sd you can use it.If they deny it there will be no way to use it with that particular app. I hope i answered your question now.

Last edited:
J

Johnly

some people are having froyo run like a Thoroughbred horse, and some others aren't having any luck .. If you want to evaluate a beta version, fine, but don't expect it to be an official release, lol!

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
some people are having froyo run like a Thoroughbred horse, and some others aren't having any luck .. If you want to evaluate a beta version, fine, but don't expect it to be an official release, lol!

Lol Agreed.But i have to also say this is the best Beta i have ever seen.:)

Anomander

Reaction score
I'm happy with it. Phone is faster and having Flash is nice. A huge improvement on the camera part has been very good too. Now I can think about using the camera on the phone since before it was always so dang slow.

J

Johnly

I hear you, and mine runs like a thoroughbred horse, no complaints, except adobe flash needs refinement, but also works very well:)

HarshReality

Reaction score
An improvement.. yes
Worth all the hype.. no

But the one thing I look forward to is source release.. there are always bits of unfinished or commented out code and once outside dev get a hand in it and their minds go in different directions and have a fresh look then really great things can happen.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man froyo is offers more than I thought I like the new gallery flip book thing.

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score

I hear you, and mine runs like a thoroughbred horse, no complaints, except adobe flash needs refinement, but also works very well:)

Yeah flash can use some BIG improvements.It runs well now but it slows down the browser.

ohfire

Reaction score
I don't think I have had any more problems with 2.2 than I did with 2.1. I think when you root and then play around, you are bound to have some issues, but that is what rooting and experimenting is all about. I don't see how we can expect Verizon to release anything better than what these amazing developers we have around here. I think they will handcuff their version just like all the others, but I also think they do that to eliminate bugs. I too am having battery issues, but I think once I get the right combination on here, I will be able to live with it. I really like beautiful widgets, but that is one big power eater, so I have moved away from it. I think we have lots of big things to look forward to with Froyo.

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
I don't think I have had any more problems with 2.2 than I did with 2.1. I think when you root and then play around, you are bound to have some issues, but that is what rooting and experimenting is all about. I don't see how we can expect Verizon to release anything better than what these amazing developers we have around here. I think they will handcuff their version just like all the others, but I also think they do that to eliminate bugs. I too am having battery issues, but I think once I get the right combination on here, I will be able to live with it. I really like beautiful widgets, but that is one big power eater, so I have moved away from it. I think we have lots of big things to look forward to with Froyo.

that deserves +1! lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man froyo is offers more than I thought I like the new gallery flip book thing.

what gallery flip book thing are you referring to?

go in to galley and pinch to zoom the pics

I am putting together more tips and tricks found on the site in my sig...the site is the sister site to this and is made by the same admin.