Forget the iPad, I want a giant DROID!

Scribble

Reaction score
I would like a droid that is big enough to fit into the back of by x-wing.

google skymaps would be much more useful then.

gevmack23

Reaction score
This ipad is a car crash waiting to happen, only a fool will buy this product... I thought it will be so inivative, 64gb is the most they could have put on this device? No flash? When we get our flash support, my droid will be better than this....lol. This Steve guy sat there and made it seem so good of a product, apple stocks' will soon decrease.

BostonBill

Reaction score
My macbook pro died. Well, maybe I killed it by spilling coffee on it. I have been thinking about a netbook to replace it. Looks like for similar money I can get an Ipad. Looks like a fun toy. I may be a fanboy after all.

gentlefury

Reaction score
Wonder how long till someone figures out how to put Droid OS on the iPad! Jailbreak will be soon, which should at least make it usable, but I'm really interested to see if someone changes the OS completely, since my guess is, while they are claiming to have built the CPU from the ground up it's probably just based on ARM A8...

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I agree with everyone here that this was truly a disappointment, but I can't say I'm totally surprised either. Yet, it will sell well INITIALLY because it's Apple. I expect a quick tailing off though.

tktouch12

Reaction score
ya, that thing is ridiculous.
so this also pretty much guarantees no multi-tasking on the next iphone?
seriously what were they thinking releasing that?

Droids

Reaction score
Next year they'll come out with the MaxiPad.
It'll have multi-touch
3g on something other than AT&T
Handwriting recognition
Webcam
Flash support, etc, etc, etc,
(This thing is so lacking.)
Until then this is the iDud.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, it's hardly surprising to see the iPad panned on this forum. But I do recall a time when conventional wisdom held that nobody but a few geeks (and in those days it meant the people who bit off the heads of chickens) would want a "computer" in their home. So I'm not so quick to call Steve Jobs stupid.

Obviously it's not the Swiss Army Knife of devices. And that's what the complaints appear to be. But that doesn't mean it's a surefire failure.

No, it doesn't multitask. Neither does the iPhone. (That's probably accounts for the latter's spectacular failure in the marketplace.)

Yes, it's expensive compared to other comparable devices. So are Mac's; so are iPhones. Again, thtat's probably why they can't sell them.

Nope. No camera. Of course, if it had a camera taking a picture would be like holding a Press Graphix from 1930.

Frankly, it's not a device I need or want since I already have a netbook, a laptop, a desktop, and a Droid. It can't replace any one, much less two, of those devices. And since the only thing it does that I don't have covered is act as an e-reader, I'm more likely to get a Kindle or another much less expensive alternative for that purpose alone.

But it's not a product aimed at me. It's designed to fit neatly into a product space between an Apple computer, an iPod, and an iPhone. It provides another platform for the 100,000+ iPhone apps, many of which will be more enjoyable to use on that big, bright, beautiful screen. It makes integration of apps and data among all the Apple devices the usual no-brainer.

In short, it extends the Apple brand over an overlapping but distinct device that will appeal to those with Apple desktops and iPhones but who don't need a full-fledged laptop. And it will allow those with Apple laptops to leave them home on a day trip and not worry about looking for a recharge.

It isn't revolutionary but I learned a long, long time ago not to bet that Jobs and Co. have misread consumer sentiment.

gentlefury

Reaction score
Well, it's hardly surprising to see the iPad panned on this forum. But I do recall a time when conventional wisdom held that nobody but a few geeks (and in those days it meant the people who bit off the heads of chickens) would want a "computer" in their home. So I'm not so quick to call Steve Jobs stupid.

Obviously it's not the Swiss Army Knife of devices. And that's what the complaints appear to be. But that doesn't mean it's a surefire failure.

No, it doesn't multitask. Neither does the iPhone. (That's probably accounts for the latter's spectacular failure in the marketplace.)

Yes, it's expensive compared to other comparable devices. So are Mac's; so are iPhones. Again, thtat's probably why they can't sell them.

Nope. No camera. Of course, if it had a camera taking a picture would be like holding a Press Graphix from 1930.

Frankly, it's not a device I need or want since I already have a netbook, a laptop, a desktop, and a Droid. It can't replace any one, much less two, of those devices. And since the only thing it does that I don't have covered is act as an e-reader, I'm more likely to get a Kindle or another much less expensive alternative for that purpose alone.

But it's not a product aimed at me. It's designed to fit neatly into a product space between an Apple computer, an iPod, and an iPhone. It provides another platform for the 100,000+ iPhone apps, many of which will be more enjoyable to use on that big, bright, beautiful screen. It makes integration of apps and data among all the Apple devices the usual no-brainer.

In short, it extends the Apple brand over an overlapping but distinct device that will appeal to those with Apple desktops and iPhones but who don't need a full-fledged laptop. And it will allow those with Apple laptops to leave them home on a day trip and not worry about looking for a recharge.

It isn't revolutionary but I learned a long, long time ago not to bet that Jobs and Co. have misread consumer sentiment.

You're actually comparing an oversized iPod to the home computer??? That is a MAJOR stretch!

MontyMo

Reaction score
I lol'd when I read that the iPad has a resolution of 1028x720 for a 9.7 inch screen.

You are joking! That is pathetic. It appears they have really missed it this time.

I just don't see a market for it...

Mr.G

Reaction score
Wonder how long till someone figures out how to put Droid OS on the iPad! Jailbreak will be soon, which should at least make it usable, but I'm really interested to see if someone changes the OS completely, since my guess is, while they are claiming to have built the CPU from the ground up it's probably just based on ARM A8...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!

Holy crud I was disappointed with this thread's lack of insight. (The topic was good but it just turned into an iPad = suxlol thread. Sorry OP) The iPad is a decent product as is, a lot less than it could've been. But the hacking capacity for that thing will be HUGE!!! I won't get one straight off just because I would like to wait for some decent hacks/mods to come out.

iPad plus a new multitouch linux distro? Can we say "awgghghhhghghhgble"? <--{Drooling)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to admit that apple has been the poster child of innovation. They started to launch home pcs, then come pcs to the home. The launch thinkpads (laptops), pc follows. The biggest jump in technology was the ipod which brought along mp3 players. The iphone allowed for internet and had apps and the ipod. Apple innovation had lead the world into a new way of thinking. Heck we would not have the droid if it wasnt for the iphone.
With that said I do not know, well I do know where they were going but the took a great idea and watered it down with restrictions. Now dell, toshiba, or hp is going to take the same concept and add the flash and multitouch and features apple refuse to add and take advantage of apple's arrogance.

Spydaz

Reaction score
If google was at all smart they would release a android tablet, complete with flash and debut the chrome OS.

iDroiid

Reaction score
wait it has no flash and they said it will take the place of your computer? ok so what the hell r they thinking i mean no you tube? or any site close to that? thats just stupid