Pairing the Droid with an iPad to share GPS?

nateccnn

Reaction score
I got the non 3G version of the iPad. I love mapping software. Bummer for me. ;o)

But my Droid has GPS. I installed Bluetooth GPS on the Droid and can share the gps through BT with my PC. Nice. One less price of equipment to pack into the hills with me.

Tried doing the same with the iPad but as everyone with an iPad knows, I get the infamous "paired but not connected" message when I try to connect it.

Has anyone developed an app to overcome this issue? I really don't want to jailbreak. either a Droid app to simulate apple Bluetooth or an iOS app that allows Droids BT to connect to it? I've looked and not found anything but before giving up thought I should ask you guys. Did I miss anything?

I know there is a BT GPS unit that connects to the iPad but the cost is over a hundred bucks and the reviews make it seem like a lot of problems with the power switch. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money on something I already have.

Nate

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Several folks have paired their Droid with their iPad, including me. Unfortunately, my youngest son's laptop dies so I gave him my iPad and I do not recall the exact steps.
Mike

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Mwhartman,

Did you pair with Bluetooth or just tenter with wifi? I can pair it with Bluetooth but I can't get a connection because the Droid is not supported by the iPad. But since the GNS 5870 will pair through BT with the iPad it makes me think someone should be able to write an app that allows the Droid to share it's Bluetooth with the iPad. It has to be possible. But even if it is possible, there has to be a need or no one will write the app.

Nate

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used wifi tether. Followed the same protocol that I use to tether my phone and MBP.

Mike

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
I used wifi tether. Followed the same protocol that I use to tether my phone and MBP.

Mike

OK...I am already wifi tethered to my iPad. I'm looking for an app to Bluetooth pair the two devices. If I can do that then I can use Bluetooth GPS to share the GPS.

Where I use my mpas there is no cell service so wifi tether does me no good.

Nate

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

OK...I am already wifi tethered to my iPad. I'm looking for an app to Bluetooth pair the two devices. If I can do that then I can use Bluetooth GPS to share the GPS.

Nate

Sorry, I've never tried that and since I no longer have my iPad I'm not able to even try.

Mike

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score

Mike

Nate

Sorry, I've never tried that and since I no longer have my iPad I'm not able to even try.

Mike

No problem. It's just one more reason I can't wait for the Xoom wifi (no 3G/4G) to be released. My wife gets the iPad when that happens. LOL

Nate