How do we get back to "normal" sized phones?

loki993

Reaction score
Phones keep growing and growing...I have my positively tiny SII which I though was a perfect size at the time..cant even type on it now.

I finally got a 5 inch Lumia icon which I though was huge at the time....now I think its about perfect. You were then getting note and note sized devices at around 5.7..which was positively giant.

What happened? Now it seem that top end flagship phones are all 5.7 inches. If you want anything smaller you get basically borked specs. I know I got used to a 5 inch phone but I dont think I could ever get used to a 5.7 inch or bigger one....nor do I really want to.

Seriously when does it stop? When do they stop getting bigger...and maybe the better question..how will they convince everyone that smaller is actually better???

Seriously I hear people over and over, take the nexus for example....the 5x has inferior specs the the 6p yet people buy it...whats the primary reason? Size.

Who wants these giant phones? IT seems there are still a lot of people that don't...so why should we be treated like budget consumers just because we want a regular sized phone. .

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What you're talking about is purely a matter of personal preference. I think you've missed some key points. They have stopped getting bigger. The Note series has stuck at 5.7 inch screens for the last 2 or 3 generations. Last year's Nexus 6 was a 6 inch device and this year's has been scaled back to 5.7.

As more people have moved towards doing more on their smartphones than on their laptops and smartphones have arguably become the number 1 media consumption device, the screens have become larger. Larger screen means a bigger body, which means more room for better specs, though not all OEMs are following that logic.

Even still, take a 5.7 inch device from a year or 2 ago and compare it to one from this year. While the screen sizes are the same, manufacturers are slowly but surely figuring out how to make the overall device smaller while keeping the larger screen.

Is this perfect for everybody? No, but sales figures don't lie. Even Apple saw the writing on the wall and began offering a larger option. Though these companies do occasionally test the waters and try some crazy things, they also keep a close eye on trends and somewhat cater to them.

Have you checked out the 5.1 inch Galaxy S6? That's a pretty small phone and is very premium. While things are trending larger, it's not like there is no one making devices closer to the 5 inch mark.

Also, I realize you put it in quotes for a reason, but "normal" is a relative term...

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The problem I think is about demand. Obviously the Note line has been very successful, as a result, Google built the Nexus 6 last year, and it too was pretty well received. Heck even Apple caved and built a "Phablet" after Steve Jobs said the iPhone was the perfect size and he'd never make a bigger device.

Google hedged their bets this time around. While the Nexus line had previously been the "Affordable" device, this time they went for the obvious market (Phablet) and covered their bet with the affordable 5x.

I got the Note II 3 years ago, and pre-ordered the 6P to replace it. For me the Phablet size is perfect. It's not a phone it's a personal computer / communications device. Admittedly I'm on the margin of the demographic, since I'm retirement age, and the larger screen makes the device readable and a realistic portable computer when I'm away from home or office. So much so that I haven't take a laptop with me for a couple of years now.

But with so many Phablets being offered and sold, I can't be the only one.

So how to get Google to recognize the demand for a premium standard sized device ?

It will come down to demand. If the 5X isn't well received and doesn't sell well, they'll re-evaluate their direction.

If they see Samsung selling a whole bunch of non Note Galaxy devices maybe they'll see the demand.

At the end of the day it's all about free enterprise. If it makes money they'll continue to do it, for the most part.

If it fails, they'll reconsider ?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Nexus 6 is the high ceiling IMO.. AND 5.2 which I feel is small is low size.. I do agree let's put some higher specs on some 5 or 5.2 screens and let peeps roll.. But it's about what most peeps are into and the trend doesn't lie it's Go Big

S6E+ tapatalk

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I sorta gotta agree with the op. I traded in my note 3 because I got tired of carrying that brick around. Personal preference of mine after that, if it don't fit COMFORTABLY in my front pocket I won't buy it. Got a turbo now, about a a big as I'm willing to go.

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
It's relative, I came from a Samsung Mega which has a 6.3 screen so my Nexus 6 and Note 4 don't seem so big to me.
My old Sony Ericsson P800 seems quite small and bulky now.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I sorta gotta agree with the op. I traded in my note 3 because I got tired of carrying that brick around. Personal preference of mine after that, if it don't fit COMFORTABLY in my front pocket I won't buy it. Got a turbo now, about a a big as I'm willing to go.
Both models after the Note 3 are more comfortable to hold and feel smaller.. Especially the Note 5.. IMO.. BUT I hear ya..

S6E+ tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Laptops have gone the same way - if you want top specs, you're going to pay a premium for a bunch of stuff you don't want or need.

The OEM's generally won't take a risk. I don't think they know what the market is for high-end 4.7-5" phones, but they know people are buying bigger phones.

And sizes are creeping up. The first Moto X was 4.7"(?), then it went 5.2" and most recently 5.4"(?). The Droid Turbo debuted at 5.2" with capacitative buttons, and stepped up to 5.4" without the buttons. In just the last few years, we've gone from 5.1" or so to 5.4". I expect things to change eventually - they tried to chisel us on storage for a while, and now SD cards are coming back in addition to 64 gigs internal and more.

But they won't get my money. Between my tablet and laptop, I'm not even really sure why I need high-end specs on my phone. In a few years, the currently underpowered 4.7-5" phones will suit me just fine.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Laptops have gone the same way - if you want top specs, you're going to pay a premium for a bunch of stuff you don't want or need.

The OEM's generally won't take a risk. I don't think they know what the market is for high-end 4.7-5" phones, but they know people are buying bigger phones.

And sizes are creeping up. The first Moto X was 4.7"(?), then it went 5.2" and most recently 5.4"(?). The Droid Turbo debuted at 5.2" with capacitative buttons, and stepped up to 5.4" without the buttons. In just the last few years, we've gone from 5.1" or so to 5.4". I expect things to change eventually - they tried to chisel us on storage for a while, and now SD cards are coming back in addition to 64 gigs internal and more.

But they won't get my money. Between my tablet and laptop, I'm not even really sure why I need high-end specs on my phone. In a few years, the currently underpowered 4.7-5" phones will suit me just fine.
I think most people are looking for a laptop/desktop replacement. Since I'm on a PC all day I don't need a large screen on my phone but I know salesman who use CRMs that want the size. Asked them why they don't use their tablet and they said it's too big. ***Thud***

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think most people are looking for a laptop/desktop replacement. Since I'm on a PC all day I don't need a large screen on my phone but I know salesman who use CRMs that want the size. Asked them why they don't use their tablet and they said it's too big. ***Thud***

I have an 8.4" tablet. I think its the perfect size, and actually WILL fit in my front pocket. If I actually had to do something productive on a device that small, 7-8" tablet would definitely be the way to go. If I want to glance at or check some info, I'd prefer a phone I can quickly and easily navigate with one hand.

My next phone is definitely going to be in that 4.7-5" range. Don't care about the specs now with a tablet and soon a smartwatch.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
While overseas you see a lot of people, women mostly, that have a 7-8" 3G tablet that they carry around in their purses and make calls from.

You can always go the route of LG and get a relatively large screen size in a much smaller chasis than most comparable models.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
We'll probably see something along those lines once devices get the pull out, flexible screens or high quality projected imaging capabilities that are being currently worked on. Even as other tech shrinks, the main reason that people want more real estate is for multi-tasking and more work/viewing area on the device. I just got my Note, but it actually makes me smile to think that I used to the like all the iKids straining my eyes to use a tiny screen not too long ago.

Get me a devices that can fold in half but be seamless when used at size and I'd be in heaven. I will admit, though, that it's interesting having to carry a separate 'mp3 player'--my old phone--again. Those huge phones are just an annoyance when working out.