How do we get back to "normal" sized phones?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Forget about high end specs, just give me a damn phone with a 4k battery.
I went to the Note 4 in Jan from an S5 and then to a G4 in June, and now back to my Note 4. It's too big for my small hands, so I'm contemplating the S6 Edge. I miss being able to easily put my phone in my jeans pocket. At work I don't care. My khakis have large enough front pockets, and in most of the year I am wearing a fleece with pockets. But I don't always take my purse with me when I go out. Lord knows women's Jean pockets (front) are tiny. I refuse to put my phone in my back pocket because it's too easy to be stolen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if the Note Spen features and inclusion were incorporated into a slightly smaller device. The only downside would be the loss of space when I'm using art programs, but 95% of what I do wouldn't suffer in the least from having a little less screen real estate. I also can't bring myself to become seriously interested in anything Note-sized that doesn't have a stylus. I just don't see the point. My life isn't going to suffer simply because I have a little less screen to watch videos or text on. I have huge hands, and the Note still takes a bit or reaching and constant attention to use one-handed, both to manage what I'm doing and to make sure that I don't drop it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Have you tried using a third party stylus on your current device @MissionImprobable ? My wife loves hers and has been using one regularly on her last two Galaxy S devices. They are fairly inexpensive and it might be worth looking into.

S5 tap'n

kolpaq

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy A6
my logic is the following: I use my phone for contacting people, my Galaxy NOte for social networks and my laptop for work. I like to define the devices on purposes. I do not need super-sized phone to call my friend or whatever.

FlacVest

Reaction score
It would be nice if the Note Spen features and inclusion were incorporated into a slightly smaller device. The only downside would be the loss of space when I'm using art programs, but 95% of what I do wouldn't suffer in the least from having a little less screen real estate. I also can't bring myself to become seriously interested in anything Note-sized that doesn't have a stylus. I just don't see the point. My life isn't going to suffer simply because I have a little less screen to watch videos or text on. I have huge hands, and the Note still takes a bit or reaching and constant attention to use one-handed, both to manage what I'm doing and to make sure that I don't drop it.
What do you use the stylus for, if you dibt mind me asking. My GF has the Note 4 and I the 6S plus and Nexus 6. Love big phones but really have no use for the stylus.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you use the stylus for, if you dibt mind me asking. My GF has the Note 4 and I the 6S plus and Nexus 6. Love big phones but really have no use for the stylus.

Something new I've started using my s pen is quick drawings with dimensions. I'm getting ready to set up a new production facility and being able to quickly draw out the dimensions in sketches for tables, jigs, etc is really handy.
I've always preferred a stylus over big fingers for accuracy, be it swyping this response, tapping areas of a screen or just letting the s pen hover over a long page to quickly scroll without touching the device. My work handheld computer uses resistive touch instead of capacitive so the stylus pens I used on my old Omnia phone are a must have for scrolling inventory status pages because it's a tiny screen with even tinier fonts.
If you're into quickly editing screen shots, jotting down quick notes and /or pulling quotes and stuff from pages the s pen is a huge time and effort saver.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

Art and Drawing programs, photo editing, taking notes for certain lectures and presentations, and recently for making flow charts and process diagrams. There are some really great programs out there for all of the above. It's also nice for things like signing pdfs and such. It's one reason that I'd be hard pressed going to anything else.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Art and Drawing programs, photo editing, taking notes for certain lectures and presentations, and recently for making flow charts and process diagrams. There are some really great programs out there for all of the above. It's also nice for things like signing pdfs and such. It's one reason that I'd be hard pressed going to anything else.
When I discovered what a nice job Microsoft has done with their newer Android versions of Office apps it was like what I'd been trying to use my old Omnia for only without the glitches, crashes, freezes and lousy battery life.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To answer the OP, sadly Apple may be the only "normal" size phone you can find that has high end specs. Sadly the trend now is the larger the phone the larger the specs. Even Google is continuing that trend when they could clearly help change that mindset with two high end phones vs one high-end spec device that is large and a smaller device where the specs have been tapered.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk