Forget the iPad, I want a giant DROID!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by samiusmc, Jan 27, 2010.

1. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

After seeing the disappointing iPad, which is basically a giant iPhone, I thought it would be cool if Motorola made a giant DROID with a giant sliding keyboard. I would buy one of those, anyone else?
  2. asmallchild

asmallchild New Member

I am as huge an Apple fanboy as there is and even I thought this was disappointing.

This is a giant iPhone with no multitasking, no flash, no voice capability, and SMS capability.

In short, it's an iPod Touch on steroids.

Sad.

I'd be happier with the announcement of a Verizon iPhone at this point.
  3. fredm74

fredm74 New Member

Ipad doesn't MULTI-TASK! DROID DOES BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_ banana:
  4. haythem1992

haythem1992 New Member

definitely but then they would come to life and team up with regular droids and take over the world one apple fanboy at a time..
    wait that doesnt sound so bad ;)
  5. Samckaz

Samckaz New Member

El presidente Jobs will bury his own company, how could they release such a joke of product with not even the basic Flash player and call it the greatest web experience???
  6. DebDroid

DebDroid New Member

I was extremely disappointed with the iPad. :/ Normally I would jump at this type of thing.
  7. bgrubb7

bgrubb7 New Member

I too am disappointed with the iPad. I was expecting it to be Apple's take on a Netbook only without a keyboard. Like a 10" Touchpad version of a MacBook with built in 3G. Something that would actually run Mac OS or at least a slightly watered down version of it. Not an oversized iPod Touch.
  8. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

yup yup! For sure. :)
  9. MontyMo

MontyMo New Member

LOL double LOL that is too funny!!

Here are my thoughts:

First impression... Nothing I want. Why?

Too big to carry around. It is a "stay at home thing" And if I am at home with it why wouldn't I use my laptop. Much more flexible. Is it supposed to me a replacement for a laptop? I don't know. Is it a book reader? Yes, but for me it is too big, the same reason I didn't buy a Kindle DX, too big. Yes it is color. But I no longer read children's books. THe books I read do not have pictures in them... What else... I think it is another $30/month subscription. So, in addition to my monthly Internet access, fee my monthly cell phone fee I have to tack on another $30 for the iPad. I haven't heard how much it costs, have you? I suspect the cost will range fro $600 to $1000. Way too much money.

I like my Droid, My Thinkpad and my Kindle, I see no reason to replace any of them.. I think Apple is creating a market that there isn't a demand for...

I'm sure I am in the minority...

Monty
  10. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

They post the different costs there are 8 diff ipads, its on the apple media event 2010 thread
  11. 713King

713King New Member

iPad is the biggest fail in human history! lol. Why dont they pay attention to the people who say they want to multi task on it... blah blah blah and i mean on their presentation they show a laptop and iPhone so that means it should of been able to multitask! But i think with all of this said I think they will release an update to enable multi tasking, what do you guys think?
    SO WERE IS THE UPDATE FOR ANDROID 2.1 FOR MY DROID!!!!!! lol
  12. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Word on the street is they cost between $450 to $850 depending on memory size. The $850 gets you 64gb. The real disappointment is that an innovative company like Apple had years to develop something that would have revolutionized portable media devices and the best they can conjure up is a giant iphone. When I first saw it, I thought somebody was playing a prank on Jobs.
  13. flicek88

flicek88 New Member

The price is 499 to 829. iPad is a complete let down on every level. I'm not sure what Apple was expecting, when they poured miracle grow on their iPod touch. This thing will flop on it's face. At best, it'll be bought by a few private schools around the country to replace textbooks, but that's really about it. I'm glad Apple released this thing to help free people from the Apple zombie mindset. Steve does care about humanity after all. =P
  14. sarreq

sarreq New Member

that thing's actually fugly.

Steve Jobs actually launched that with a straight face?

edit: and that case/stand looks like it was ripped straight out of the early `80s.

I think Steve's surgery left him a little decrepid

no slide out keyboard or 3g, but here's something close to a droid tablet
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  15. Blackmoth

Blackmoth New Member

I lol'd when I read that the iPad has a resolution of 1028x720 for a 9.7 inch screen.

The Droid's resolution was a huge selling point for me, everything looks fantastic on the screen.

Droid's still on top for web browsing devices, for me.
  16. Scribble

Scribble New Member

I would like a droid that is big enough to fit into the back of by x-wing.

google skymaps would be much more useful then.
  17. gevmack23

gevmack23 New Member

This ipad is a car crash waiting to happen, only a fool will buy this product... I thought it will be so inivative, 64gb is the most they could have put on this device? No flash? When we get our flash support, my droid will be better than this....lol. This Steve guy sat there and made it seem so good of a product, apple stocks' will soon decrease.
  18. BostonBill

BostonBill New Member

My macbook pro died. Well, maybe I killed it by spilling coffee on it. I have been thinking about a netbook to replace it. Looks like for similar money I can get an Ipad. Looks like a fun toy. I may be a fanboy after all.
  19. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Wonder how long till someone figures out how to put Droid OS on the iPad! Jailbreak will be soon, which should at least make it usable, but I'm really interested to see if someone changes the OS completely, since my guess is, while they are claiming to have built the CPU from the ground up it's probably just based on ARM A8...
  20. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Member

I agree with everyone here that this was truly a disappointment, but I can't say I'm totally surprised either. Yet, it will sell well INITIALLY because it's Apple. I expect a quick tailing off though.