Extended Battery for Thunderbolt

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Been using the Seidio slim extended 1600 battery for a few days now (at least 2 full battery cycles), and I've been getting several more hours of use than with the stock battery (not just 1-2, more like 5-10 hours extra with moderate use over the weekend). For those thinking they will wait for a bigger slim extended battery (eg. 1800) that will fit under the same back, keep dreaming, its not gonna happen, nor is it likely even physically possible (if it was, we'd be discussing one right now instead of a 1600). Your 2 options are either this one, or a humpback.

Not to doubt you in any way, but I don't understand how 15% more mah can possibly double phone life.

Its not double for me personally, I guess I should have added that I was getting about 20-21 hours on my stock battery (to give it context), and can get anywhere from 25-35 hours on the Sedio, because I'm not constantly playing with my phone all day and don't have a bunch of junk constantly syncing/updating, I have utilized many of my battery saving techniques from the tips thread, and part of that time was spent sleeping obviously. You don't have to believe me, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm getting great battery life, especially for a powerful smartphone that many others have been experiencing trouble with. I'm also not in an LTE area, since that seems to make a difference.
Oh that makes more sense now. You don't use your phone. For the rest of us that do we're averaging about 10 hours. An extra 200MAH won't do squat for us.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Oh that makes more sense now. You don't use your phone. For the rest of us that do we're averaging about 10 hours. An extra 200MAH won't do squat for us.

Actually, I use my phone plenty (what I would consider light-moderate use during the week and moderate use on the weekend, but I would not consider myself a "heavy" user), its not just sitting in my pocket or desk all day long with the screen off. While everyone's use is different, I do all the normal things that anyone would do with this phone: emails, texts, calls, games, apps, streaming audio, internet, facebook, chat, camera, time & weather, calendar, news, etc. Sorry you only get 10 hours, sounds like you are a heavy user and need to keep a charger handy or buy the HTC 2750 extended battery instead of the Seidio. Screen set to 20-25% helps too. Auto is way too bright unless you're outside.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Actually, I use my phone plenty (what I would consider light-moderate use during the week and moderate use on the weekend, but I would not consider myself a "heavy" user), its not just sitting in my pocket or desk all day long with the screen off. While everyone's use is different, I do all the normal things that anyone would do with this phone: emails, texts, calls, games, apps, streaming audio, internet, facebook, chat, camera, time & weather, calendar, news, etc. Sorry you only get 10 hours, sounds like you are a heavy user and need to keep a charger handy or buy the HTC 2750 extended battery instead of the Seidio.
I'm in a full 4G area, and I'm not complaining about battery life. I like the slim factor of the phone so I refuse to install a brick on it. I don't need that sticking out of my suit pants pocket in a meeting.

Telecaster

Reaction score
I too went for the Seidio slim extended 1600 and went from about 6-7 hours to 9-10 hours between charges, moderate use, screen turned down a third etc. It's worth it to me to cover a full work day out and about.

Looking at phone right now it's at 72% and it's been on for 6 hours, 20 mins in very light use (3 calls, some email and twitter checks, screen set to blank at 30 secs). So it does depend how heavily you lean on the scree and the 4G.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score

Some people have claimed that the MyTouch 4G uses the same stock battery as the Thunderbolt. I cannot personally verify this, nor can I recommend buying this battery since it does not say it was designed to be used in the TB. If you decide to, please let us know how it works out. As long as it fits properly in the compartment, it should not cause problems, but there is no guarantee that it will fit.

F

FlyFishinX2

Been using the Seidio slim extended 1600 battery for a few days now (at least 2 full battery cycles), and I've been getting several more hours of use than with the stock battery (not just 1-2, more like 5-10 hours extra with moderate use over the weekend). For those thinking they will wait for a bigger slim extended battery (eg. 1800) that will fit under the same back, keep dreaming, its not gonna happen, nor is it likely even physically possible (if it was, we'd be discussing one right now instead of a 1600). Your 2 options are either this one, or a humpback.

Not to doubt you in any way, but I don't understand how 15% more mah can possibly double phone life.

Its not double for me personally, I guess I should have added that I was getting about 20-21 hours on my stock battery (to give it context), and can get anywhere from 25-35 hours on the Sedio, because I'm not constantly playing with my phone all day and don't have a bunch of junk constantly syncing/updating, I have utilized many of my battery saving techniques from the tips thread, and part of that time was spent sleeping obviously. You don't have to believe me, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm getting great battery life, especially for a powerful smartphone that many others have been experiencing trouble with. I'm also not in an LTE area, since that seems to make a difference.

I believe you and know for a fact that everything you say is possible, unless something drastic happens ill get 24.hours out of my latest charge on a stock battery....these people complaining are just too lazy to make adjustments

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using droid forums app

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I believe you and know for a fact that everything you say is possible, unless something drastic happens ill get 24.hours out of my latest charge on a stock battery....these people complaining are just too lazy to make adjustments

Or they actually want to use their phone they way it was designed instead of having a dumbed down version. Why buy a 400HP car when you de-mod it to be 120HP? I don't use widgets or any of that facebook,myspace,twitter crap so I removed them but others might actually want to report on what they just ate and when the robber can come steal their stuff because they reported they will be working late.

That doesn't mean they are lazy. Their priorities are just different.

F

FlyFishinX2

Ok so use it how you think it should be used ,when I started shopping for smart phones I was told not to expect more than 10-12 hours per charge...you people need to stop whining and take your phones back if you're not happy with it

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Or they actually want to use their phone they way it was designed instead of having a dumbed down version. Why buy a 400HP car when you de-mod it to be 120HP? I don't use widgets or any of that facebook,myspace,twitter crap so I removed them but others might actually want to report on what they just ate and when the robber can come steal their stuff because they reported they will be working late.

If you want your phone to last 20 hours "out of the box," get an iPhone or BB. To get that kind of life on Android with moderate use, you have to make adjustments to your settings and customize your phone to get it the way YOU want it. I think that is one of the main draws of Android, the fact that you can control and change things. Everyone has different needs, and you can customize your phone towards that purpose. My phone is not "dumbed down" as you say, I simply changed a few settings to help extend the life of my battery. For example, I got rid of Friendstream, but still use plenty of widgets and have other things updating periodically.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Ok so use it how you think it should be used ,when I started shopping for smart phones I was told not to expect more than 10-12 hours per charge...you people need to stop whining and take your phones back if you're not happy with it

Where on this forum do you see me complaining about battery life? Oh that's right I'm not. I blame HTC for not making an extended battery like the DX though. Slim form not fat bricks.

F

FlyFishinX2

That doesn't mean they are lazy. Their priorities are just different.[/QUOTE said:
So what exactly does it mean when these people come on here.and complain nonstop from.the time they bought the phone?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

If you want your phone to last 20 hours "out of the box," get an iPhone or BB. To get that kind of life on Android with moderate use, you have to make adjustments to your settings and customize your phone to get it the way YOU want it. I think that is one of the main draws of Android, the fact that you can control and change things. Everyone has different needs, and you can customize your phone towards that purpose. My phone is not "dumbed down" as you say, I simply changed a few settings to help extend the life of my battery. For example, I got rid of Friendstream, but still use plenty of widgets and have other things updating periodically.
Ha. Get an iToy? No thanks. I came from the Blackberry world as well. Yes I did get a couple days out of my Curve but I never used it for internet, just email and text. The Storms I had didn't last that long either. I wouldn't recommend any BB's to anyone at this point. RIM doesn't know where they are going.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Mustang02 said:

So what exactly does it mean when these people come on here.and complain nonstop from.the time they bought the phone?

Your reply said "You people" when you were replying to me. I am not everyone but when you reply to me then I'd like to know what "complaining" you see from me and battery life?

And to be honest, I see a lot of people who really shouldn't be touching a smart phone, especially an Android based one.

wingdo

Reaction score

I myself use friendstream, but both FB and Twitter only check for updates every 2 hours. I use the home clock / weather widget with refresh every three hours. I use the full page agenda as it is my WORK phone. I have Exchange PUSH email enabled as if I don't use push my company will force a BB on me. I've not complained much about the phone's battery life except to say that I used my OC'd (to 1000MHz) the same way I use the TB but I averaged over 20 hours on the D1 vs 4-5ish on the TB.

Now what DOES tick me off is the fact last week I went to the VZW store in the hopes of getting a big discount on the extended battery by complaining about the battery life. The woman who sold me the phone was working to figure out what they could do when some salesguy came over to help looked at my phone for a couple minutes and then said it should be better now.

He set the screen brightness to 10%. Yeah, 10%. Yeah, without asking.
He installed startup monitor on me without asking and disabled the VZW junk apps that he could.
He installed advanced task killer without asking and set it to aggressive.
He did something to SMS as all of a sudden I don't get about half the messages being sent to me and I did before.

And finally this morning I got a call at home from my boss asking me why I have't been responding to e-mails. I said I hadn't received any. Well sure enough it turns out the "helpful" sales guy set my Exchange PUSH e-mail to poll every 2 hours instead. Yes also without asking.

I don't know yet what else he changed, but I have to run back to the store to speak with the manager as this is totally unacceptable behaviour from a salesperson.