Extended Battery for Thunderbolt

Reaction score
How many of you ThunderBolt buyers will also be purchasing an extended battery to go along with it? If history has told us anything, HTC devices are not well-known for their great battery life, and all smartphones are power-hungry. There are 2 options:

Seidio 1600 mAh Extended Life Battery (slim)
seidioonline.com
http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-1600mAh-Extended-ThunderBolt/dp/B004O0TGU2

HTC 2750 mAh Extended Life Battery (thicker)
HTC Thunderbolt Extended Battery & Door Cover (2750 mAh)
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=47424

The Seidio is available now and fits in the same battery door (thus, it will not change the profile of the phone), but is not that much of a jump in capacity (200 mAh gain over the stock 1400 mAh battery). The HTC might be out of stock until sometime in early-mid April, and comes with a new battery door (because it will add bulk to the device).

Which one will you choose, and why? Is the Seidio worth the price for the modest gain? Can you handle the added bulk of the HTC (when trying to pocket the device, or find a case that fits, or merely aesthetically)? Or do you think the stock battery will be just fine for your purposes?

Last edited:

detox

Reaction score
I will probably buy the slim one. That way I will have two batteries and I already have an external charger assuming the one I bought will fit the Thunderbolt battery. Fingers crossed. I'm not one for the bulky look and feel unless it's truly worth it and battery life and the standard and slim seidio completely blows

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
If HTC themselves are releasing such a gigantic battery i think they know what kind of horrible battery life reviews their TB is going to get. It seems like they just want to capitolize on some extended battery market.

I'm not buying the Thunderbolt, it is to the phone world what the 3.76 Ghz Pentium 4 HyperThreading Extreme Edition was to the end of single core desktop processors. If history shows anything, it will not be worth it and the new dual core phones have more to offer.

bhall238

Reaction score
I have the OG Droid and got the extended Seidio 2800 mAh battery 8 or 9 months ago. I love the longer battery life but hate the bulkiness of it, that and the fact that the phone no longer fits in the windshield mount or dock I had. I ended up giving those to a friend of mine. I may get an extended battery but really want to hold out for one that will not change the profile of the original.

One of the reasons I will not be getting the Thunderbolt on day one is so that I can check this forum to see what kind of battery life others are getting. That's when I will make the decision on whether or not to get an extended battery.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
For those considering the Seidio 1600 mAh extended battery (or a screen protector, case, or other accessory from Seidio), use the coupon code "DISC2011" at checkout on seidioonline.com to get 10% off of your entire order. I ordered mine on Sunday, it shipped out Monday, and I expect to receive it today or tomorrow.:icon_ banana:dancedroid

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'll probably wait to see what kind of battery life I get. That will determine if I want the larger capacity or smaller capacity one.

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Does anybody know how much thickness this will actually add to the device? Hopefully it will be 1 mm or less like the Droid X.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Does anybody know how much thickness this will actually add to the device? Hopefully it will be 1 mm or less like the Droid X.

There are 2 battery choices. The Seidio 1600 will not add any thickness at all. The HTC 2750 will add a few millimeters for sure. Go to Seidio's website and look at their 3500 for the EVO and how far the battery door extends. The 2750 won't be quite that big, but it will be more than 1mm, that's for sure. More like 3-6 mm.

FrankXS

Reaction score
I just pre-ordered two of the 2750mAh extended with case. [HERE] for $55/ea free shipping.

Noticed that they also have cases that will fit over the extended battery.

-Frank

Last edited:
OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score

bhall238

Reaction score
Very excited. I get the phone tomorrow. I want to use it a while to see if I actually need the extended battery. I've learned from my Droid and the Seidio 2800 mAh battery that I do not want a bigger than stock battery. What do you all think 1600 vs 1400 mAh would get me?

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Very excited. I get the phone tomorrow. I want to use it a while to see if I actually need the extended battery. I've learned from my Droid and the Seidio 2800 mAh battery that I do not want a bigger than stock battery. What do you all think 1600 vs 1400 mAh would get me?

I'm going to stick with the stock battery for a while, just to see how it does, if it will be enough, and to get a baseline to compare the 1600 to. I will probably just use the Seidio as the spare anyway, since I don't think there will be a ton of difference (maybe 1-2 hours at the most, if that), it won't last as many months (decays faster than OEM), and the battery meter may have some trouble getting an accurate reading (not sure about that though yet).