Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

Jfulton

Reaction score
Sharing network error

I am having an issue when sharing sbm. My phone.gives me a message that there is a network problem and.need to.repair. Anyone encounter and solve?

QUOTE=marty45714;2418689]4th Update 5/2/2013 - Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't.

Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

3rd Update 5/1/2013 - I changed the code that 'finds' the exploit file to make sure it get executed successfully. It's now using the "PATH" environment to do this. This is more reliable than the actual Linux 'find' command I was using before. Also added some additional instructions to clarify some steps based on feedback from users. Finally, added code to detect if the network adapter is not configured correctly. It will alert the user to configure the network adapter properly in the VirtualBox application.

2nd Update 5/1/2013 - I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!

Hey folks, I'm a UNIX admin by profession, so I took the challenge over the weekend to come up with an easy root process for Bionic stock Jelly Bean, specifically for those who aren't familiar with Linux.

I decided to build a Linux VM under Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows PC. This seemed like the logical choice since VirtualBox is free, a relatively small download, is easy to install and it's easy to import VMs.

My first attempt was using CentOS Linux. It worked, but the file required for users to download was over 450MB... Back to the drawing board!

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 46MB.

Everything you need to root the Bionic is here and it is automatic. The process will walk you through connecting to the Samba file share, connecting the phone in USB debugging mode, and OF COURSE, it will run the process to root the phone.

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.12/VirtualBox-4.2.12-84980-Win.exe

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file containing the Linux VM from one of the following links:
http://www.knite.net/Bionic/Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...fhiAIiSwc0jD1AdVFNY27QdoeKP9ot_7IdDetSvw&dl=1

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.[/QUOTE]

(eggman)

Reaction score
okay - seem to be stuck. I had rooted ics and let the OTA update in without derooting - not sure if that is an issue.

What I am having happen.

Got linux up and running
SMB share connected and confirmed
Phone in USB Debug and MTP mode
Exploit is pushed
It says it is Reinstalling Superuser
then Success
then it says
[+] Rooting phone...

and onward to
[+] Getting root....
[+] Press enter to continue once the device has fully rebooted.

At this point the phone has rebooted once and it does a whole bunch of vibrating.

I wait until I think it is done and press the power button and it vibrates some more. Then I wait some more for it to stop.

I press power button again and it vibrates some more?

------------------------------------------------------------

pressing enter on the linux vm and it says
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.

a few seconds later the phone reboots and the linux console says

tc@box:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now I open the phone and I have a # in the notification bar saying I need to reinstall Superuser.

The Superuser binary(su) must be updated Please choose an installation method.

Any of the choices result in failure with message

There was an error installing Superuse. Please send a log of the error to the developer.

But there is no log file?!?

---------------------------------------------

So what do I need to do/where did I go wrong?

mine is the same as this beat for beat, but with this to start it all

Linux Minimal.png

the missing files is what i'm looking at here

[EDIT] missing files were fixed with v4, still the same end game. i don't think it's your program at all, i think it's possible USB connect issues and strange that virtualbox keeps saying my phone has a previous engagement. also, almost every time i connect via usb Backup Assistant Plus starts trying to open a web page and phone home to Verizon.

[EDIT 2] as britt garcia pointed out over at androidforums, it really may be all about the timing. all the mashing in the world didn't help me until i was really quick on it this time as soon as the prompt came up. when it rebooted i actually got a visual boot with vibration storm instead of a black screen vibration storm. thanks Marty!

:yr1:

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
2 things I want to point out here:

1) If anyone gets the web page popup when they plug in their phone, that is a good sign that it's not going to work. If the web page pops up, that means that your Windows machine grabbed the USB port for it's connectivity and not VirtualBox for the VM. It can only be connected to one or the other. So if you see the web page popup, you know that you need to straighten out the USB device configuration in the VirtualBox application.

2) When I've seen connectivity issues in my own setup, plugging into a different USB port has been the best work around.

mine is the same as this beat for beat, but with this to start it all

View attachment 62613

the missing files is what i'm looking at here

[EDIT] missing files were fixed with v4, still the same end game. i don't think it's your program at all, i think it's possible USB connect issues and strange that virtualbox keeps saying my phone has a previous engagement. also, almost every time i connect via usb Backup Assistant Plus starts trying to open a web page and phone home to Verizon.

[EDIT 2] as britt garcia pointed out over at androidforums, it really may be all about the timing. all the mashing in the world didn't help me until i was really quick on it this time as soon as the prompt came up. when it rebooted i actually got a visual boot with vibration storm instead of a black screen vibration storm. thanks Marty!

:yr1:

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
This can mean so many things. Is your phone connected to Wi-Fi? Is the Wi-Fi network and your PC running VirtualBox on the same network. Can the phone "ping" the computer and the can the computer "ping" the phone?

If the answer to all of that is YES and you've confirmed connectivity, then it can ONLY be typos in what you're typing into the fields for the SMB connectivity. Everything has to be typed in exactly as it appears. No trailing spaces can be left on any words.

I am having an issue when sharing sbm. My phone.gives me a message that there is a network problem and.need to.repair. Anyone encounter and solve?

QUOTE=marty45714;2418689]4th Update 5/2/2013 - Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't.

Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

3rd Update 5/1/2013 - I changed the code that 'finds' the exploit file to make sure it get executed successfully. It's now using the "PATH" environment to do this. This is more reliable than the actual Linux 'find' command I was using before. Also added some additional instructions to clarify some steps based on feedback from users. Finally, added code to detect if the network adapter is not configured correctly. It will alert the user to configure the network adapter properly in the VirtualBox application.

2nd Update 5/1/2013 - I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!

Hey folks, I'm a UNIX admin by profession, so I took the challenge over the weekend to come up with an easy root process for Bionic stock Jelly Bean, specifically for those who aren't familiar with Linux.

I decided to build a Linux VM under Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows PC. This seemed like the logical choice since VirtualBox is free, a relatively small download, is easy to install and it's easy to import VMs.

My first attempt was using CentOS Linux. It worked, but the file required for users to download was over 450MB... Back to the drawing board!

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 46MB.

Everything you need to root the Bionic is here and it is automatic. The process will walk you through connecting to the Samba file share, connecting the phone in USB debugging mode, and OF COURSE, it will run the process to root the phone.

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.12/VirtualBox-4.2.12-84980-Win.exe

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file containing the Linux VM from one of the following links:
http://www.knite.net/Bionic/Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...fhiAIiSwc0jD1AdVFNY27QdoeKP9ot_7IdDetSvw&dl=1

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.
[/QUOTE]

mardoon

Reaction score
I already had root. But i had to try it. Also works on vmare workstation 9. Nice job!

thebufenator

Reaction score
When i start the vm, i keep getting errors for an invalid ip address.

Help?

Tried pretty much every network option.....

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Here are some tips for anyone who is having trouble getting a valid IP address. The first thing you should check is the network configuration within VirtualBox. If your computer has more than one network adapter, VirtualBox may be trying to use the wrong one, which would result in the Linux VM being unable to acquire an IP address. Please look at the attached picture. The only thing you should ever change is the drop down box field called "Name:". If you change any other settings, either change them back, or re-import the .ova file again.

Attachments

• vm.png
    vm.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 381
OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
You are the first person I know of that has attempted this by importing the .ova file into VMWare. Glad to hear that it worked!

I already had root. But i had to try it. Also works on vmare workstation 9. Nice job!

mardoon

Reaction score
It had some warning's but it work fine. I already had other method in vm lol.
I use vmware 9 all the time for my job. Nice Job.

Jfulton

Reaction score
Not Connecting SBM

I have my phone on the same wifi as my computer, and I've typed in about 50 times using finger punching, and swipe. I'll keep trying. Is there any setting on the phone that I should be changing? Again, I really appreciate the help

SkriptAsylum

Reaction score
~Marty,

Not to be a pain- I'm familiar with VirtualBox and playing around with the settings, and I can work my way around in Linux as well, but I still can't get a proper IP address. I've never had a problem with other virtual boxes getting addresses, any ideas? Alternatively I could create a machine for Ubuntu and use the other method... I've truthfully never played around with these OVA files though, very cool =)

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
You need to start by using the 'ping' command to ping the IP address of the phone from the computer, and use the Android Terminal app to ping the IP address of the computer from the phone. I would start here and verify network connectivity before I did ANYTHING else. If you don't know how to ping, start Googling!

I have my phone on the same wifi as my computer, and I've typed in about 50 times using finger punching, and swipe. I'll keep trying. Is there any setting on the phone that I should be changing? Again, I really appreciate the help

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
One other possibility is that your router is not giving out an IP address through DHCP to the bridged adapter that the Linux server is using.

~Marty,

Not to be a pain- I'm familiar with VirtualBox and playing around with the settings, and I can work my way around in Linux as well, but I still can't get a proper IP address. I've never had a problem with other virtual boxes getting addresses, any ideas? Alternatively I could create a machine for Ubuntu and use the other method... I've truthfully never played around with these OVA files though, very cool =)