Wifi Tether / Hotspot on Jelly Bean (4.1.2 & 4.2.2)

kwest12

Reaction score
Bionic Wifi Tether / Hotspot on Jelly Bean (4.1.2 & 4.2.2)

Hi all,
I've rooted my Bionic and am sitting on 4.1.2 currently. I would like to use Wifi tether / Hotspot but I'm not sure how to go about this. It sounds like FoxFi uses some non-root method, but I figured since I'm already rooted, there might be an even better option. I've heard a sqlite method mentioned, but after numerous searches, I haven't turned up much on that. I believe I've seen mention of Wifi tether working on various 4.2.2 roms, so I know there must be some way to get it done. Any help is appreciated; thanks!

EDIT: If anyone else has been looking for the way to achieve wireless tether using the pre-installed Mobile Hotspot app, here it is.

Step 1)
Successfully root your Bionic
Step 2) Buy and install SQlite Editor from the market (current version is 2.0.1 at time of writing this). There are other SQlite apps, but this one is capable of having superuser permissions and browsing the root directory, which the others are incapable of afaik (both functions are required).
Step 3) Open SQlite Editor and go to the "Files" heading at the top. Below, you should see some text talking about navigating to a folder containing a database file you wish to edit.
Step 4) Make sure the "Path:" is "/". If there's anything after the forward-slash, you'll need to use the back soft-button to move back to the root directory (ie. "/").
Step 5) Click on the folder named "data"
Step 6) Click on the folder named "data" (again). The path should now display "/data/data"
Step 7) Click on the folder named "com.motorola.android.providers.settings".
Step 8) Click on the folder named "databases"
Step 9) Click on the file named "settings.db"
Step 10) Click on "settings"
Step 11) In the upper right, click the search button that looks like a magnifying glass. The "Field(s) to filter on" should be marked "All fields" - leave that alone. In the "Filter value:" field, type "check" and then click the "OK" button.
Step 12) Click on the line named "entitlement_check" to highlight it and then at the top of the screen, click the pencil to edit that line.
Step 13) Leave the "_id" and "name" fields alone. Change the "value" field to "0" and then click the "Save" button.
Step 14) Click the back soft-button until you've exited the app.
Step 15) Reboot your phone.
Step 16) The built-in Mobile Hotspot app that comes pre-installed should work now. To turn it on, open the app, and click "Mobile Hotspot".

****A lot of people are recommending that you configure the Mobile Hotspot app once you've turned it on. (click "Configure Mobile Hotspot"). They recommend that you change the Broadcast Channel to something other than Channel 6 since most wifi routers are automatically configured to broadcast on channel and it can cause signal interference. Additionally, some people recommend that you change the default Client (DHCP) start address to something different. If you do change it, make sure it start with "192.168." The format should be 192.168.XX.X (where the 'X's are whatever numbers you want). Examples would be 192.168.29.4 or 192.168.77.1 or 192.168.81.2 etc etc etc.

Last edited:
OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
Thanks! Has this method been verified to work with 4.1.2 and 4.2.2?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm using it on 4.1.2 via the flying jelly ROM.

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to post the Entitlement Check Method here in my own language to clarify a few things. When the original guide was written, I assume that the guide was completely accurate.

Step 1) Successfully root your Bionic
Step 2) Buy and install SQlite Editor from the market (current version is 2.0.1 at time of writing this). There are other SQlite apps, but this one is capable of having superuser permissions and browsing the root directory, which the others are incapable of afaik (both functions are required).
Step 3) Open SQlite Editor and go to the "Files" heading at the top. Below, you should see some text talking about navigating to a folder containing a database file you wish to edit.
Step 4) Make sure the "Path:" is "/". If there's anything after the forward-slash, you'll need to use the back soft-button to move back to the root directory (ie. "/").
Step 5) Click on the folder named "data"
Step 6) Click on the folder named "data" (again). The path should now display "/data/data"
Step 7) Click on the folder named "com.motorola.android.providers.settings".
Step 8) Click on the folder named "databases"
Step 9) Click on the file named "settings.db"
Step 10) Click on "settings"
Step 11) In the upper right, click the search button that looks like a magnifying glass. The "Field(s) to filter on" should be marked "All fields" - leave that alone. In the "Filter value:" field, type "check" and then click the "OK" button.
Step 11) Click on the line named "entitlement_check" to highlight it and then at the top of the screen, click the pencil to edit that line.
Step 12) Leave the "_id" and "name" fields alone. Change the "value" field to "0" and then click the "Save" button.
Step 13) Click the back soft-button until you've exited the app.
Step 14) Reboot your phone.
Step 15) The built-in Mobile Hotspot app that comes pre-installed should work now. To turn it on, open the app, and click "Mobile Hotspot".

****A lot of people are recommending that you configure the Mobile Hotspot app once you've turned it on. (click "Configure Mobile Hotspot"). They recommend that you change the Broadcast Channel to something other than Channel 6 since most wifi routers are automatically configured to broadcast on channel and it can cause signal interference. Additionally, some people recommend that you change the default Client (DHCP) start address to something different. If you do change it, make sure it start with "192.168." and then has two more numbers and a "." and then one more number. Examples would be 192.168.29.4 or 192.168.77.1 or 192.168.81.2 etc etc etc.

seamus

Reaction score
It doesn't work for me. I'm on the stock ROM, rooted. It lists my MAC address correctly, identifying it as "unknown" with the assigned IP address of 0.0.0.0 When I add it through "manage allowed devices" the settings don't save.

Plus, I get repeated message "Unfortunately, the process com.motorola.process.system has stopped." It keeps coming up ever 30 seconds or so, whether I have tethering turned on or not.

Last edited: