So You Want To Root Your Bionic

Reaction score
This is a thread about what root is and isn't. To help you make the decison to root your phone if you are on the fence, or perhaps take a step back if you decide from our information that you are on the verge of making an ill advised decision. This thread is provided by the Bionic Root Collective which consists of Eye_Dea, Deduct, and Altspeed in no particular order. We are going to make available the definitive guide to rooting your Bionic, Droid 4, Razr, or Razr MAXX. We are going to make available a complete rooting package with every tool that could concievably be needed to root one of these four phones, as well as a branching flowchart with ICS and GB branches that will show you how to start with an unrooted phone and literally none of the tools you need to do it including a decent extraction utility, the most up to date drivers, the three primary exploits themselves, the whole root toolkit. That thread will come in a few days.
The thing we are here to address in this particular thread is "To root or not to root?". You are the only one who can truly make that decision for you and your phone. Here is a definition that is concise and somewhat thorough followed by the Bionic Root Collective disclaimer.

From addictivetips.com "Android is based on Linux and comes locked with only standard user access given to its user. Root access – also known as Superuser access – is the access level on Linux-based devices that lets their users perform administrative tasks including updating the system, installing applications at the core level without using the standard ‘.apk’ installation files, accessing the system partition, modifying protected system files and changing their permissions etc."

You will be able to delete or freeze verizon bloatware. Flash custom ROMs. Edit certain files within your system. And more...

Disclaimer:

It will void your warranty. Period. Unless you can embrace this fact on all levels stop now. In most cases all traces of root can be removed if the need arises for a warranty replacement This is not always the case and is not the way to bet. If you are the least bit sqeamish or less than confident of any part of the procedure or the ramifications, dont do it. Root at your own risk. Your Mileage May Vary.

Bionic Root Collective​

If you have any specific questions about whether will root will or won't do, cause, allow, a particular thing, post them and we'll get you a timely answer within the confines of the schedules of our real lives.

Last edited:

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the continued support guys! It is appreciated

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Pretty neat.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mmw68666

Reaction score
I got to use a prototype of complete root toolkt and we got you rooted in 10 mins

jetguat

Reaction score
yep :icon_ owned:

So where is the collective tools? I've been pouring over posts in xda.developers and droidforums
looking for something more concise to root. what I want.

I just got the Vzw ICS updates. I read that a factory default reset is suggested. Also over the last 1-1/2
years I've downloaded lots of apps and uninstalled, I just bet there is left over crap. So I want to start clean.
But I also dont want to lose application specific data, game saved data etc. so I want/need to backup stuff.

Titanium backup seems to be the tool of choice. While it looks complicated to me, I cant use it, since I dont have
root access. I'm not interested in custom roms. Rather, just backing data up. Then an FDR. then restore the data I want,
then actualy I think I want to unroot.

Can someone help? This thread sounds perfect but I dont see links to follow up on how to do all this for
a Bionic.

Thanks for the help

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Same here, where is the follow up thread with all the info on how to root and the tools needed? I rooted my D1 and had no problem switching Roms with that one but can't figure this one out yet.

Garrett

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Same here, where is the follow up thread with all the info on how to root and the tools needed? I rooted my D1 and had no problem switching Roms with that one but can't figure this one out yet.

Garrett

Go to the link in my signature at the bottom and the first post has a link for the root method that works for Bionics on ICS.