Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

droidianslip

Reaction score
okay - seem to be stuck. I had rooted ics and let the OTA update in without derooting - not sure if that is an issue.

What I am having happen.

Got linux up and running
SMB share connected and confirmed
Phone in USB Debug and MTP mode
Exploit is pushed
It says it is Reinstalling Superuser
then Success
then it says
[+] Rooting phone...

and onward to
[+] Getting root....
[+] Press enter to continue once the device has fully rebooted.

At this point the phone has rebooted once and it does a whole bunch of vibrating.

I wait until I think it is done and press the power button and it vibrates some more. Then I wait some more for it to stop.

I press power button again and it vibrates some more?

------------------------------------------------------------

pressing enter on the linux vm and it says

[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.

a few seconds later the phone reboots and the linux console says

tc@box:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now I open the phone and I have a # in the notification bar saying I need to reinstall Superuser.

The Superuser binary(su) must be updated Please choose an installation method.

Any of the choices result in failure with message

There was an error installing Superuse. Please send a log of the error to the developer.

But there is no log file?!?

---------------------------------------------

So what do I need to do/where did I go wrong?

droidianslip

Reaction score
just to follow up I did the following steps I saw listed on page 2

I hit ctrl -c to escape the script after confirming smb connectivity in the script

I went into adb shell and examined the contents of the rfs0 folder, all appeared to be there.

I went ahead and ran the

/storage/rfs0/pwn 1

from the

shell@cdma_targe:/ $ prompt

It said it was getting root.

Phone rebooted and did the whole vibrate thing a bunch more. Then I rebooted it again.

Still no root :(

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

swagramp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, the third update worked brilliantly and now I am rooted! I've got no idea what was wrong but the issue seems to have been resolved so I can't complain :rating10:
I don't have any advice for you. Download the latest update and keep trying...

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Love to hear reports like this. Thanks! I've pretty much tweaked this thing and added enough additional instructions so that the only think left to do is start driving to people's houses and rooting their phone for them! LMAO!!!

Thanks for all the help, the third update worked brilliantly and now I am rooted! I've got no idea what was wrong but the issue seems to have been resolved so I can't complain :rating10:

droidianslip

Reaction score
still stuck - Marty45714 do you have any suggestions?

Nevermind it seems it just took a number of tries to get the wifi correctly working (I could see the share from the phone but still wasn't enough) and then I had to hit the button just right. FWIW I did not see the Important step press a hard key until I got wifi working with the -3 version of the OVA.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Glad to hear that it worked out!

Nevermind it seems it just took a number of tries to get the wifi correctly working (I could see the share from the phone but still wasn't enough) and then I had to hit the button just right. FWIW I did not see the Important step press a hard key until I got wifi working with the -3 version of the OVA.

Hotphyer

Reaction score
Hopefully the 3rd update will work for you. I made a change to the script that may help your situation. Please try it and let me know if you have better luck.

@Marty45714, BRAVO sir:clap:, 3rd time the charm, this time ran the script hit the vol. up button as instructed and flawless work.

Thanks so much for sticking in there and dealing with us, i know it can be a headache.:yr1:

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you... Enjoy root! Glad you didn't give up!

@Marty45714, BRAVO sir:clap:, 3rd time the charm, this time ran the script hit the vol. up button as instructed and flawless work.

Thanks so much for sticking in there and dealing with us, i know it can be a headache.:yr1:

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
I added an additional, more reliable download link to the original post, just in case anyone was having trouble getting the file downloaded.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't. Adding the new links to the original post now...

MLSchleps

Reaction score
Thanks marty45714! My Bionic with Jelly Bean is finally rooted!!! Is anybody aware of a way to overclock the Bionic with Jelly Bean? I tried to install the extra_kernel_modules_0.1.3 and init.d_n_script_installer_0.1.3 along with the Tweakerz_alpha1_module_included, but it wouldn't let me install them, even though I think the kernel number is the same.