Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Hacks' started by marty45714, Apr 29, 2013.

1. marty45714

marty45714 New Member

This can mean so many things. Is your phone connected to Wi-Fi? Is the Wi-Fi network and your PC running VirtualBox on the same network. Can the phone "ping" the computer and the can the computer "ping" the phone?

If the answer to all of that is YES and you've confirmed connectivity, then it can ONLY be typos in what you're typing into the fields for the SMB connectivity. Everything has to be typed in exactly as it appears. No trailing spaces can be left on any words.

[/QUOTE]
  2. mardoon

mardoon Member

I already had root. But i had to try it. Also works on vmare workstation 9. Nice job!
  3. thebufenator

thebufenator New Member

When i start the vm, i keep getting errors for an invalid ip address.

Help?

Tried pretty much every network option.....
  4. marty45714

marty45714 New Member

Here are some tips for anyone who is having trouble getting a valid IP address. The first thing you should check is the network configuration within VirtualBox. If your computer has more than one network adapter, VirtualBox may be trying to use the wrong one, which would result in the Linux VM being unable to acquire an IP address. Please look at the attached picture. The only thing you should ever change is the drop down box field called "Name:". If you change any other settings, either change them back, or re-import the .ova file again.

Attached Files:

• vm.png
      vm.png
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  5. marty45714

marty45714 New Member

You are the first person I know of that has attempted this by importing the .ova file into VMWare. Glad to hear that it worked!

6. mardoon

mardoon Member

It had some warning's but it work fine. I already had other method in vm lol.
    I use vmware 9 all the time for my job. Nice Job.
  7. Jfulton

Jfulton New Member

Not Connecting SBM

I have my phone on the same wifi as my computer, and I've typed in about 50 times using finger punching, and swipe. I'll keep trying. Is there any setting on the phone that I should be changing? Again, I really appreciate the help
  8. SkriptAsylum

SkriptAsylum New Member

~Marty,

Not to be a pain- I'm familiar with VirtualBox and playing around with the settings, and I can work my way around in Linux as well, but I still can't get a proper IP address. I've never had a problem with other virtual boxes getting addresses, any ideas? Alternatively I could create a machine for Ubuntu and use the other method... I've truthfully never played around with these OVA files though, very cool =)
  9. marty45714

marty45714 New Member

You need to start by using the 'ping' command to ping the IP address of the phone from the computer, and use the Android Terminal app to ping the IP address of the computer from the phone. I would start here and verify network connectivity before I did ANYTHING else. If you don't know how to ping, start Googling!

10. marty45714

marty45714 New Member

One other possibility is that your router is not giving out an IP address through DHCP to the bridged adapter that the Linux server is using.

11. hillsideman2000

hillsideman2000 New Member

Finally had success. After playing with this all week I installed the new updated ova file, shut off all other android devices on my WiFi network (tablets, etc.)
    disabled my data on the bionic using the toggle from juice defender, and did not plug in usb cable till connection was made with the remote storage via WiFi.
    Took over ten times entering the info before connection was made via wifi. Thanks so much.
    1 person likes this.
  12. bigbronco

bigbronco New Member

Hey marty45714,

Thanks for the tutorial. It has seemed to have worked very well for everyone. Long story short, I dropped my Samsung Note and the digitizer is like $250. So I have this Bionic from when I was with Verizon. I am now with AT&T. I need to root this phone so I can use my AT&T SIM card.

All goes well up to where it says waiting for phone to be connected to USB. deamon started successfully and it just hangs. It was fine up until there.

I did notice that when I used the pull down notification on the phone there was nothing there. No MTP option. I checked the USB debugging. Any ideas???

Thanks bb
    1 person likes this.
  13. Zantillian

Zantillian New Member

I got a weird problem. I followed the instructions to the T. When I started it, all it says is "* daemon started successfully *". Then nothing. Someone know what's up?
  14. deduct

deduct Well-Known Member

Sounds like comp is not recognizing device.
  15. surfboy192

surfboy192 New Member

I dont have the file in my file app that is required to connect to the SMB.
  16. bigbronco

bigbronco New Member

Zantillian

Did you figure it out??? I have the same problem. "* daemon started successfully *". I was starting to think I had a bad micro USB port on my phone until I saw your post.

Thanks bb
  17. Jfulton

Jfulton New Member

Sharing Issue

So, I figured out what was wrong. I had updated the ova file, and thought that it replaced as I imported. It does not, it adds. This caused a confusion in the IP address. So, once I deleted all but the ova4, it ran like a charm, file sharing exploit, the entire program and I have root. Thank you so much for all the work and and time and patience!
  18. sierra117

sierra117 Member

When I start up the VirtualBox I start the process and it stops at "Daemon started successfully"
  19. zebo51

zebo51 New Member

It is telling me invalid IP address. I go into settings and network is set to Bridged Adapter and under name I have my network adapter selected "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gig Controller. Under advanced the adapter type is set to Intel Pro/1000MT Desktop 82540OEM. Promisc mode is allow all. Any ideas?

Thanks
  20. mpridmore

mpridmore New Member

I have the same issue as zebo51. Different network card/adapter, but same invalid IP address. I've entered it more than 20 times now. How can we resolve this?
Search tags for this page
bionic 4.1.2 root
droid bionic 4.1.2 root
droid bionic jelly bean root

droid bionic root

droid bionic root 4.1.2

how to root droid bionic

how to root droid bionic 4.1.2

root bionic 4.1.2

root bionic jb.ova

root droid bionic

root droid bionic 4.1.2