Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

Hotphyer

Reaction score
Thank you for the speedy response, i will do it tomorrow i already have the updated script loaded in VM virtual box.

You are AWESOME!!!!! dancedroid

Ill update tomorrow with my results.

Yeah, you really need the phone and the PC running the Linux VM to be on the same network segment so that the phone can talk to the PC's IP address on port 445. The ideal thing is to have the phone connected to a wireless router and have your PC either connected to that same WIFI or connected by Ethernet cable to that same router.

swagramp

Reaction score
Issues with the SMB share

I have run everything as instructed but it does not give an ip address for the smb share in the linux vm. I've had issues connecting my phone to smb shares previously so I dont know if this is related.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
No, not related to your phone. This would be a problem with VirtualBox networking. You're going to have to dork around with the network configuration in VirtualBox. Make sure it installed the VirtualBox network drivers, etc. Once you get the network configuration corrected, it will show an IP address when it boots up.

I have run everything as instructed but it does not give an ip address for the smb share in the linux vm. I've had issues connecting my phone to smb shares previously so I dont know if this is related.

winslow1337

Reaction score
Just followed every step like it says. It worked. My droid bionic is rooted. Thank you very much.

swagramp

Reaction score
Thank you very much! Turns out that VirtualBox defaulted to hamachi and everything worked out great once I got onto the proper network. Great work and thanks for the prompt reply! :hail:
edit: Unfortunately the root was unsuccessful on my phone -.(\ I'll take it that I'm one of those people who shouldnt be rooting their phone :(
No, not related to your phone. This would be a problem with VirtualBox networking. You're going to have to dork around with the network configuration in VirtualBox. Make sure it installed the VirtualBox network drivers, etc. Once you get the network configuration corrected, it will show an IP address when it boots up.

7779311mm

Reaction score
UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!

Hey folks, I'm a UNIX admin by profession, so I took the challenge over the weekend to come up with an easy root process for Bionic stock Jelly Bean, specifically for those who aren't familiar with Linux.

I decided to build a Linux VM under Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows PC. This seemed like the logical choice since VirtualBox is free, a relatively small download, is easy to install and it's easy to import VMs.

My first attempt was using CentOS Linux. It worked, but the file required for users to download was over 450MB... Back to the drawing board!

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 46MB.

Everything you need to root the Bionic is here and it is automatic. The process will walk you through connecting to the Samba file share, connecting the phone in USB debugging mode, and OF COURSE, it will run the process to root the phone.

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file here:
Root_Bionic_JB_20130501.ova

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/344318.htmlmarty45714,

Do you know if this tool/process will work on Droid Razr Maxx with the new Jelly Bean update?

shhendri

Reaction score

Both the terminal and the phone show connection. Within the phone I can actually see the shared files.

Seems to show a directory issue.

Jfulton

Reaction score
Question

So, If I'm reading this correctly, I install this Virtual Box on my pc using a windows application, and then use the commands that have been previously released for unbunto? Sorry if I sound newbie, but this process has been confusing for me. Thank you in advance
Happy Bionic Owner

7779311mm

Reaction score
So, If I'm reading this correctly, I install this Virtual Box on my pc using a windows application, and then use the commands that have been previously released for unbunto? Sorry if I sound newbie, but this process has been confusing for me. Thank you in advance
Happy Bionic Owner

Yes, do exactly as advised in marty45714's original instructions on page 1 of this thread. He's simplified it a little more. Worked flawless for me.

boojiboy

Reaction score
Thanks

Just wanted to say thank you. After the update on my phone I lost root, and my old oneclick method didn't work. Followed instructions here and I'm back in control of my phone. Big thanks once again.

lfegerber

Reaction score
Hi All...I seem to have the same problem as the picture below. It states that /system/bin/sh not found. My phone never rebooted when it says "your phone may appear to reboot"
[QUOTE

=shhendri;2419783]

shhendri

Reaction score

Both the terminal and the phone show connection. Within the phone I can actually see the shared files.

Seems to show a directory issue.

This is starting to make sense to me

having an issue being directed to the correct file

I helped it find the way

My phone is currently vibrating up a storm right now (being rooted)

I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/images/smilies/dancingnexus.gif
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/images/smilies/dancingDroid.gif

IT WORKED!!!! Now have root

Hotphyer

Reaction score
Hey Marty...I have gotten the network issues figured out, the jetpacks wont work, im at my parents and everything seems to work great.

The problem im having it stated success and notice phone will reboot and dont panic. But my phone isnt rebooting. I believe everything is set up correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

Seems like the same as the 2 posts above, is the path file the same as above in this case i see he as a razr

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
Hey Marty...I have gotten the network issues figured out, the jetpacks wont work, im at my parents and everything seems to work great.

The problem im having it stated success and notice phone will reboot and dont panic. But my phone isnt rebooting. I believe everything is set up correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

Seems like the same as the 2 posts above, is the path file the same as above in this case i see he as a razr

You have to load a remote storage. Go to files, click on remote storage then add storage. You have to know your IP address. The remaining steps are self explanatory. Don't forget to click on USB debugging in settings.

ReFlex

Reaction score
So you are right, this looks good. Can you type:
su -

and see if you get a root prompt?

The command it runs to root the phone once you get as far as you did is:
/storage/rfso/pwn 1

You can try running that manually and see what happens.

Well, I got it to work. Not sure if this matters, but here's what I did differently.

Instead of doing su - like you asked, I accidentally went past the point of putting in the previous commands and it went through with rooting the device.

When it restarted the first time, on the eye it vibrates 3 times. I always let it boot up before I did anything else, except this time I went ahead and hit enter to continue right after it vibrated three times and before the phone finished restarting. The phone restarted and now my phone is rooted.

Guess it was user error all along, thanks a lot OP :p