Success on rooting Droid 2 Global GB

Thelgord

Reaction score
OK guys, just finished rooting my Droid 2 Global with the GB OTA update.

Android Version: 2.3.3
System Version: 4.5.608.A956.Verizon.en.US
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-gb092e69

Followed instructions from [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) - RootzWiki

I did this in on osX Lion version 10.7.2

Follow the instruction and it will work.

IMPORTANT for Mac Users: Make sure you remove the EasyTether.kext file from your system (copy to your desktop if you want then you re-install later) then reboot your system. The root script will not detect your device if it is there. If you just use the sudo kextunload command the script will hang. You must remove the file from your system/library (exact file location can be found on google). Once removed AND rebooted, the script will run just fine and give you root. Windows/Linux users should read through ALL of the messages there for specific information about your systems.

That is "IF" you have easy tether app installed

Last edited:

jfeldredge

Reaction score
Did you have to do any special steps to get this to succeed? I tried this technique, on the same model of phone and the same firmware, without success. The install script reports that it successfully rooted the phone, but if you try running any app that requires root access, such as Titanium Backup, it fails. My phone had successfully been rooted using this technique, prior to installing 4.5.608.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
T

Thelgord

Reaction score
No. The script would hang at times, but that was from easytether interference. The root went suppriseingly smooth once that was removed.

destin246

Reaction score
I tried this and eveytime I do it my phone reboots into bootloader mode idk what to do?

iPood

Reaction score
so i cannot figure out where easytether.kext is located at on my mac.. what folder is it in.. it doesn't bring it up when i search it and i can't find it in the library.. but i guess i have it beings i use easy tether quite a bit.

OP
T

Thelgord

Reaction score
so i cannot figure out where easytether.kext is located at on my mac.. what folder is it in.. it doesn't bring it up when i search it and i can't find it in the library.. but i guess i have it beings i use easy tether quite a bit.

Google how to show/hide all files on osX. Its a command line function but there are also applescripts for it.

Once you can actually see all of the files on your computer (you'll see a lot of them) open finder and click on your main Hard Drive's icon.

Then find: /system/library/extensions/EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext

move this to your desktop. If it copy's then delete the one in finder (keep the one on the desktop)

Download the app "Kext Helper" (Google is your friend)

In network preferences remove any EasyTether connections.

You may need to restart your mac at this point.

Complete the Android root process as described.

Use the app "Kext Helper" to put the EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext back where it belongs with the correct permissions; or just re-install the app from the installer.

Thats it.

iPood

Reaction score
can i assure this works on gingerbread, have also rooted a droidX and bionic using the same method.