Droid Bionic may be scrapped.....

GBH2

Reaction score
And yet it would not surprise me if we never see the Bionic. They killed the first one and scrambled to get another phone destined for future release tested and labeled as Bionic. The marketing guys are running this and pushing this phone out. Even if it does come out I suspect it will be buggy crap. Hopefully I am wrong but I don't have a good feeling about Bionic.

No offense intended, but you are wrong. Motorola has internal phone projects with codenames - there was never a Motorola internally named the Bionic. The original Motorola internal codename Etna, Was going to be released as the Verizon Droid Bionic. Motorola decided to scrap Etna because of problems they were having. They were already working on Motorola Internal codename "Targa" - probably an upgrade to The Bionic that would have been released . A decision was made by Verizon that "Targa" would be the phone that they would release as the Verizon Droid Bionic. Targa was always scheduled to be releas3ed as a Q3 phone and is on schedule as far as we know. While no phone is perfect I wouldn't expect it to be especially problematic as it wasn't rushed out anymore than any other phone, Although, hey first Dual-core LTE phone on Verizon, your guess is as good as mine if there will be any problems. I don't think Motorola can afford to put out a "dud" with the fact that there is going to be "OG Droid" level hype and scrutiny on this one. :)

sk102704

Reaction score
And yet it would not surprise me if we never see the Bionic. They killed the first one and scrambled to get another phone destined for future release tested and labeled as Bionic. The marketing guys are running this and pushing this phone out. Even if it does come out I suspect it will be buggy crap. Hopefully I am wrong but I don't have a good feeling about Bionic.

No offense intended, but you are wrong. Motorola has internal phone projects with codenames - there was never a Motorola internally named the Bionic. The original Motorola internal codename Etna, Was going to be released as the Verizon Droid Bionic. Motorola decided to scrap Etna because of problems they were having. They were already working on Motorola Internal codename "Targa" - probably an upgrade to The Bionic that would have been released . A decision was made by Verizon that "Targa" would be the phone that they would release as the Verizon Droid Bionic. Targa was always scheduled to be releas3ed as a Q3 phone and is on schedule as far as we know. While no phone is perfect I wouldn't expect it to be especially problematic as it wasn't rushed out anymore than any other phone, Although, hey first Dual-core LTE phone on Verizon, your guess is as good as mine if there will be any problems. I don't think Motorola can afford to put out a "dud" with the fact that there is going to be "OG Droid" level hype and scrutiny on this one. :)

Well put.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

rmart88

Reaction score

+1
+1
+1
10 char

Reaction score

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said that the phone was CODE NAMED Bionic. I didn't mention code names at all. But other then that how is what I said different then what you said fact wise. They had a phone that was intended to be Bionic (code named Etna) that they scraped. They had another phone that was already known of in the rumor mill code named Targa. Now all reports are that this one will be named Bionic. So how is what I said different then what you said? Please don't slam me just because I predict the phone will be a failure. Sigh. Nothing like a fanboy for a phone yet to be released. :icon_rolleyes:

rmart88

Reaction score

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said that the phone was CODE NAMED Bionic. I didn't mention code names at all. But other then that how is what I said different then what you said fact wise. They had a phone that was intended to be Bionic (code named Etna) that they scraped. They had another phone that was already known of in the rumor mill code named Targa. Now all reports are that this one will be named Bionic. So how is what I said different then what you said? Please don't slam me just because I predict the phone will be a failure. Sigh. Nothing like a fanboy for a phone yet to be released. :icon_rolleyes:

I see where you are coming from, but i dont think Moto and VZW would scrap a phone, based on its performance/bugs/issues, just to release another in its place (not necessarily in its place since this phone was coming anyway, but you get what im getting at) that is going to be just as crappy. I think the extended time they had on this one, Targa, is due to ironing out those issues, and it should be a fairly smooth phone. Of course every phone has its faults, and only time tells what those faults are, but i dont think the Targa Bionic will be a very buggy phone.

Reaction score
Everyone says that Targa was scheduled to be released. So before it became Bionic WHAT name was it going to have? Marketing guys have to plan this stuff out months even up to a year in advance. If they scraped one phone but chose not to scape the model name and the marketing already done then some marketing plan for Targa has been scrapped or itself is being fostered off on another phone. As I haven't seen any rumor names for this phone I can only assume(and I admit I can spell the word) that this phone wasn't far enough along for VZW to have branded it yet. So to me that implies that they are rushing a new phone into the lineup to replace a dead phone in order to save marketing costs already spent on that first phone. Or was there a rumored name for the Targa phone that I missed?

rmart88

Reaction score
Fair point. But, the hardware idea/prototype would typically come before the marketing scheme. At least thats what I would believe is the most common case. but im not in marketing or development, so idk. I just think that companies, while possibly having tons of marketing ideas stocked up, dont create a product idea with that marketing idea in mind. I would think there is a stockpile of marketing names, and a stockpile of product designs, and they at one point or another mesh the two and make it happen.

So I think the Bionic name was being thrown around internally before there was ever an Etna or a Targa, but neither of those devices were designed specifically with the Bionic name in mind. They were designed by a completely different department, probably in a completely different building, completely independent of the Bionic name. and someone said, "this will be the Bionic". Once that had issues, they picked up another device and said "ok, we can call this one the Bionic now".

I probably rambled a lot there, i apologize lol. My point is i think the device and Name are almost never dependent on each other, sometimes yes, like when the name describes the phones style like the LG Flipshot for example, but in this case I highly doubt it.

Droidram56

Reaction score

I think that you are correct that Motorola has a huge stake in the success of the Bionic, especially in light of the disappointing performance of the Xoom and the X2. Delaying the release of the Bionic to get its design right is one thing, but to delay it and still not get it right would be quite a failure.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Moto really needs to release this on August 4th.
The more they wait, the more people expect.

I realize they are probably working out bugs, but its been over a half of a year since they showed it...

yiannis

Reaction score
It even has it's own Verizon sign up page. Verizon wouldn't do that for a phone they scrapped.

my thinking as well

I am no troll, I am probably the MOST excited for this phone. I have been (not so) patiently waiting since December when it was announced - but yeah, Motorola had the exact same site up back then to sign up. And that one was scrapped.

I am just really counting on the August 4th date we have all heard. I dont know how much longer my OG Droid can last...

That is worrisome indeed and I am on the same boat with the D1

densetsu86

Reaction score
Everyone says that Targa was scheduled to be released. So before it became Bionic WHAT name was it going to have? Marketing guys have to plan this stuff out months even up to a year in advance. If they scraped one phone but chose not to scape the model name and the marketing already done then some marketing plan for Targa has been scrapped or itself is being fostered off on another phone. As I haven't seen any rumor names for this phone I can only assume(and I admit I can spell the word) that this phone wasn't far enough along for VZW to have branded it yet. So to me that implies that they are rushing a new phone into the lineup to replace a dead phone in order to save marketing costs already spent on that first phone. Or was there a rumored name for the Targa phone that I missed?

From reading your post along with all the others (well not all but 90%) i think i know what your missunderstanding.

The droid bionic is verisons name for etna and targa not motos. Verizon is choosing to keep the name. If the etna never had any problems it would have been droid bionic and targa would have been a completely different name maybe not even in the droid family but called.something else entirely. They had no marketing for targa at that time. Hell i heard about targa a week after etna was shown in january. As far as moto is concerned there is no bionic untill its released whichever project phone takes its place they only see it as etna targa etc. Verizon is the one doing the official names and advertising along with moto input but after they're approval. Etna was not approved to go to market verizon still wanted the bionic since they put out a lot of marketing for it. Whats worse to your general public customer: bionic cancelled or bionic revisioned? Revision sounds better to me. To moto they just scrapped etna and are working on targa and instead of droid god or batrix or what not they'll going to go with verizon as bionic. I bet right around now we would have heard of an official new phone advertisement for targa is etna was released as bionic. Personally i liked etna better in terms of looks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
either release it or don't ppl are waiting.... they've been hyping it for 7months now.... expectations won't be met no matter how good it is.... I rather them take their time than put out a unfinished product but this is getting ridiculous

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

texasPI

Reaction score
gotta love how VZW reps dont even bother to keep up with the tech sites.

if any of the corporate store employees in Decatur AL tell me that the sky is blue, im gonna look out the window to see for myself, they dont know their head from a hole in the ground!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Same deal with the Montgomery, AL reps. Had one recently tell me I needed an app killer when my internal memory storage on my droid incredible died. It was like talking to a baby. I don't even bother with corporate stores. Phone reps are a big step up from these clowns.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
either release it or don't ppl are waiting.... they've been hyping it for 7months now.... expectations won't be met no matter how good it is.... I rather them take their time than put out a unfinished product but this is getting ridiculous

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How have they been hyping it up? The last time we got any big "hype" was from CES with the old Bionic.