Bionic crawls out of the grave!!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Oxn, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Oxn

Oxn New Member

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. (MMI) said that the Droid Bionic, a 4G smartphone, will launch with Verizon Wireless in the summer.

Motorola pushed back the timing of the launch to incorporate new features into the phone, which was originally slated to launch in the second quarter. While the phone may ship to carriers in time, a launch may occur in the third quarter.

"Based on compelling feedback since the show, we are incorporating several enhancements to make this an even better consumer experience," a Motorola spokeswoman said.

Many had speculated that the Droid Bionic was scrapped in favor of another model. It was one of four smartphones that Verizon Wireless held up during the Consumer Electronics Show in January during the presentation of its 4G service. Motorola Chief Executive Sanjay Jha also touted the device during his CES presentation.

Verizon Wireless so far has only one 4G smartphone, the HTC Corp. (HTCXF, 2498.TW) Thunderbolt, available to customers.

Verizon Wireless is jointly owned by Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Group PLC (VOD, VOD.LN).

Motorola shares fell 2.3% to $23.03 in recent trading.

-By Roger Cheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2153; roger.cheng@dowjones.com
  2. JerseyFirefighter

JerseyFirefighter New Member

I wanna know what these "experience enhancements" are. Probably a rouse to buy more time to fix the 4g/tegra issues, and for our troubles we'll get an extra 512 of ram and maybe a little more internal storage.
  3. steazy26

steazy26 New Member

Great news. I think I'll hold off on it...and maybe see what the Targa has to offer if it is coming soon after.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  4. EFGantry

EFGantry New Member

this sounds just like what the insiders over at HoFo predicted: the Bionic would be scrapped, and the Targa would be renamed the Bionic and released in Q3...
  5. BeerManMike

BeerManMike New Member

Was about to post this, glad it is an official statement and from a good source. Bad news that it is pushed back even more, but it looks like it will be an even better phone. I'm done looking at rumors for a while now. dancedroid
  6. steazy26

steazy26 New Member

That could very well be the case as well. They could just scrap the Targa design and update the Bionic specs to match what they intended for the Targa and the average consumer wouldn't even know. Either way, as long as it doesn't have too many issues, I can wait for it. I've been excited about it for a while so making it even better sounds good to me. Hopefully they'll soon announce what changes are being made.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  7. regkilla

regkilla New Member

The Living Dead Bionic
  8. creaky

creaky Member

This is great news. We will have to wait longer, but I think the phone we get in the end will be worth it. I've all but resigned to ditching the Storm 1 I have and getting an X or D2 on ebay to make the wait more bearable.
  9. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I got an X on ebay. It will make the wait much much easier!
  10. creaky

creaky Member

Think I'm doing the same....
  11. brooklyn2410

brooklyn2410 New Member

How did you pay because I was planning on doing the same thing

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  12. BasilofBakerStreet

BasilofBakerStreet New Member

Doid-Life is saying the Targa is being renamed the Bionic and that will be coming out this summer. So it's not the original Bionic we have seen.
  13. famac!

famac! New Member

New Droid X directly from Verizon was recently reduced to $399 without a contract. Not a bad price for a still capable device.
  14. garbageman

garbageman New Member

I had a storm 1 and I hated it glad I have my droid 2 it will make waiting a lot easier. I would suggest changing.

Sent for Liberation
  15. jdstallings

jdstallings New Member

Is it a tegra or Bionic

One way to know is the looks. The Targa has that nasty hump on the back for the camera. If you see the "Bionic" comes out looking like that you can bet they were saving face and renaming phones around.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  16. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

The only way we'll truly know which rumor was 100% correct is if the Bionic as we knew it keeps the same form factor and internal specs or if it ends up taking on the Targa form factor with a quad-core chip design (remember, Targa was supposed to run on Kal-El, right?).

The way I see it, there are two possible scenarios:

1) Insiders got word that the Bionic test units needed to be returned because of Motorola updating some specs or hardware bugs, and these Insiders interpreted that information as them scrapping the Bionic for the Targa, which was a misunderstanding. (In this scenario the Targa will still be released as well as the "Bionic" with some updated minor specs) Or;

2) Motorola was having issues with the Bionic and merged it's development with the hardware on the Targa and have scrapped the Bionic altogether, making the Insiders correct. In this scenario, there will only be one flagship phone from Motorola introduced in the 2nd half of the year, and it will have significantly superior specs to the original "Bionic."

Brandon
  17. creaky

creaky Member

Just pulled the trigger on a used X. Goodbye, Storm, I won't miss you....

@Brooklyn: paid $225 on Ebay. Check out NYC Craigslist, too.
  18. brooklyn2410

brooklyn2410 New Member

I meant how much did you pay for your droid X on ebay?

19. brooklyn2410

brooklyn2410 New Member

O ok that's not too bad I just bid on one its around $125 right now so hopefully it stays there. But I really don't think the Targa is going to be quad core I would bet anything that its going to run on the OMAP 4440 dual core 1.5 GHz processor. I read an article saying that TI unveiled this processor end of last year and companies started working with it early this year. One of the companies that were really interested in it was moto.

20. Oxn

Oxn New Member

People thinking Targa will be Quad core are out of their minds. Only 1 dual core phone has been released so far and thats the Atrix. They havent even begun pushing Dual Core yet. Samsung is going towards 2Ghz dual core in 2012. Why would Verizon totally leapfrog dual core? makes no sense. From Thunderbolt 1 core to Targa Quad core? use your head people.