Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are we sure that this works with 2.3.2 (method 1 root)??
I used the blur.zip -> update.zip manual update to 2.3.2, and lost root as expected.

I tried your root method 1 in this thread and all seemed to go well. But when i rebooted and tried to get SU permissions it gets denied. SU in terminal results in "permission denied".

One note, not sure if its related, but without USB debugging enabled the "./rage*.bin" step failed with "Cannot find adb: No such file or directory". I then retried with debugging enabled, and it was fine after that. Still no SU after reboot though.

Superuser permission app is in my launcher screen, and it works fine.

Help!

Figured out my own problem:
It seems when update to 2.3.2 and break root, the remnants of the root procedure from 2.2.2 (su, Superuser.apk, etc) need to be removed before redoing the root. At least, they did for me. I followed these instructions from here:
Undoing the damage, if you decide to unroot.

- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root
Except, instead of the "su" step, which wont work, i subbed in the following:
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
- force stop terminal, restart terminal
and then continued removing root "remnants".

After the reboot, i then i re-applied the rooting procedure and it works now.

Also, pc747, i noticed after looking at Eousphoros guide and yours, you are missing a step to make sure USB debugging is enabled. I think most will figure it out themselves, but it might save some questions later.

Thanks!

I will make that note, thanks for the addition.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
posted at post 8, Lithoss if you see any thing that needs correcting.

trook

Reaction score
Hey guys, when I install the drivers from the sbf link on this thread I keep getting MTP Failed and they keep trying to re-install, I've restarted my computer and phone while plugged in and unplugged to usb, I went to device manager and manually found the driver, tried re-installing them but it keeps happening. Do I HAVE to use this version of drivers to sbf?? Because my old set of drivers worked.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey guys, when I install the drivers from the sbf link on this thread I keep getting MTP Failed and they keep trying to re-install, I've restarted my computer and phone while plugged in and unplugged to usb, I went to device manager and manually found the driver, tried re-installing them but it keeps happening. Do I HAVE to use this version of drivers to sbf?? Because my old set of drivers worked.

If you open rsdlite and it recognizes your phone then you are fine, but if it does not them you have the wrong drivers.

Quagmyer

Reaction score
If you were rooted and you installed 2.3.20 via ota update root may fail or will deny root.

This was tried by a member (Lithoss) and has worked for him so I am going to post the method.

1) You are going to need to unroot, we will use the method posted by Eousporos guide to unroot.

a) open up terminal emulator and input the following commands:

- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
force stop terminal, restart terminal
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone.

Trying to recover my droid 2 after OTA update, I still have the Superuser Icon but it does not seem to work. I used the 1click root program to try to reroot but its not working. So I attempted to follow these steps above. First when I go into the terminal app (used "terminal emulator" from market), there are 2 $ signs, first command "cd /tmp" works and removes one of the $ signs. seccond command "cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/" returns "cp /sdcard/rage*.bin: No such file or directory"

Kinda at a loss on what to do next. Any point in the right direction would be very appreaciated.

napjester

Reaction score
I get that error as well when doing the step..

chmod 777 rage*.bin
Unable to chmod rage*.bin: No such file or directory

I have a rooted stock Droid 2 which I just upgraded to 2.3.2 OTA and am trying to get root access back.

Anyone with any ideas how to fix this?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try this from droid life:

SuperOneClick Still Roots DROID 2, Even on Version 2.3.20

On 11.02.10, In DROID2, News, Root (unlock), by Kellex

We told you about SuperOneClick a couple of weeks ago as a great source for easy rooting if you are incapable of installing the Android SDK and running a couple of adb commands. (Cheap shot!) The app has evolved a lot since then, is now on version 1.3.5, and even roots the Droid 2 running the latest 2.3.20 update. I just ran it myself, used some root-only apps, rebooted the phone a couple of times and still have access. Enjoy!
*This should also work on the Droid X.​
Download: SuperOneClock1.3.5.zip
Instructions:
*There is always some risk involved when rooting your device. You assume all risk.
1. Download the file from above and extract into a folder on your computer.
2. Plug your phone into your computer via USB and turn on USB Debugging.
3. Open the folder with the SuperOneClick files and find SuperOneClick.exe and open it.
4. Allow the process to run and when it finishes, you will be rooted.
5. Now click the donate button in the app to support the dev.
Full support thread and donate link at XDA Forums.

Quagmyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply pc747, this is the app I have been using to try and root the phone. It is basically a loop, try to root says rooted but the screen shows a failure, try to unroot shows same. :(

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im still doing research

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
do you have the rageinthecage file on your sdcard.

Quagmyer

Reaction score
I looked through all the folders on my sdcard i do not see rageinthecage at all. made sure i was looking at /sdcard not /mnt/sdcard, not sure if that was right or not

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that is why it is telling you that there is no such directory. Place the rageinthe cage file on the root of your sdcard and try it again.

Droid 2

Quagmyer

Reaction score
that is why it is telling you that there is no such directory. Place the rageinthe cage file on the root of your sdcard and try it again.

Droid 2

place the rage file on the /sdcard and then Unroot from the oneclick program? or follow the link?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sorry man I got pulled to do some stuff. once it is on root of sdcard you should be able to do the commands to remove the files...the one you tried above.

Quagmyer

Reaction score
sorry man I got pulled to do some stuff. once it is on root of sdcard you should be able to do the commands to remove the files...the one you tried above.

Not a problem man, life happens right?

I attempted unroot through the 1clickroot, and again stated that it was successful, with errors clearly on the screen. I checked to make sure the rage file was on the root of the sdcard and it still is. Attempted the steps from post #8 and it failed out again at the "cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/" with "/sdcard/rage*.bin: No such file or directory"

:(

BTW, I appreciate your help, just realized your helping me in the top sticky...