Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

Reaction score
So then if im doing pandora for a bit would you say to do the down clock? If so where can I find the instructions please?

*edit* im going to be using pandora for at least 8 hours for one day without charging. Have a long flight and no way to recharge.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If that's ALL you're going to do, then yes. However, unless the plane is offering WiFi you won't be able to use it. Airplane mode kills the 3G antenna. And FCC and airline guidelines explicitly state that cell phones are to be turned off.

Got a good music library on there? :D

Reaction score
Oh yeah baby! I learned the hard way. I went in and put in every single artist I like so I have a wide varitey and im not stuck with just what they have to offer. Im gonna check on the wifi thing, didn't think they would offer it. Planning on taking my laptop so that is an option too. Thanks!

holmes6

Reaction score
These are my questions too. Since I removed some of the blur apps I can't use update.zip (fails verifying), so I need to sbf, but not sure if I should do 2.2.20 + update or 2.3.20 directly with sbf.

I ended up going with 2.3.20 via SBF.
booted up, gmail was force closing, activated phone, rooted with dooroot.bat, cleared cache with bootstrap , updating gmail to 2.3 from market (fixed fc problem), seems to be working ok so far

System Version: Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband: BP_C_01.09.07P
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g462500f
dbretzm1@il93lnxdroid22 #1

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So then if im doing pandora for a bit would you say to do the down clock? If so where can I find the instructions please?

*edit* im going to be using pandora for at least 8 hours for one day without charging. Have a long flight and no way to recharge.

If you are rooted get the setcpu app. When you open it you can drop the clock speed. It is not necessary but it is something I may do from time to time if all I am doing is listening to music and nothing else.

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread and sharing. I have a quick question. I have android 2.2 rooted on my d2. I will update to 2.3 soon and then reroot. I know my rooted apps on 2.2 won't work on 2.3. What happens to them? Will 2.3 wipe them from my phone and will they still be installed in there and just not work? Do I have to reinstall or redownload them again once I root on 2.3? Thank you in advance.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well my rooted apps work fine. Now initially they will not work until you reroot.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would not drop any lower than 600.

Lithoss

Reaction score
Are we sure that this works with 2.3.2 (method 1 root)??
I used the blur.zip -> update.zip manual update to 2.3.2, and lost root as expected.

I tried your root method 1 in this thread and all seemed to go well. But when i rebooted and tried to get SU permissions it gets denied. SU in terminal results in "permission denied".

One note, not sure if its related, but without USB debugging enabled the "./rage*.bin" step failed with "Cannot find adb: No such file or directory". I then retried with debugging enabled, and it was fine after that. Still no SU after reboot though.

Superuser permission app is in my launcher screen, and it works fine.

Help!

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
When I first updated the superuser was still there but I didn't really have root. I ran the one click root method by Darkonion and was good to go.

Lithoss

Reaction score
Are we sure that this works with 2.3.2 (method 1 root)??
I used the blur.zip -> update.zip manual update to 2.3.2, and lost root as expected.

I tried your root method 1 in this thread and all seemed to go well. But when i rebooted and tried to get SU permissions it gets denied. SU in terminal results in "permission denied".

One note, not sure if its related, but without USB debugging enabled the "./rage*.bin" step failed with "Cannot find adb: No such file or directory". I then retried with debugging enabled, and it was fine after that. Still no SU after reboot though.

Superuser permission app is in my launcher screen, and it works fine.

Help!

Figured out my own problem:
It seems when update to 2.3.2 and break root, the remnants of the root procedure from 2.2.2 (su, Superuser.apk, etc) need to be removed before redoing the root. At least, they did for me. I followed these instructions from here:
Undoing the damage, if you decide to unroot.

- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root
Except, instead of the "su" step, which wont work, i subbed in the following:
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
- force stop terminal, restart terminal
and then continued removing root "remnants".

After the reboot, i then i re-applied the rooting procedure and it works now.

Also, pc747, i noticed after looking at Eousphoros guide and yours, you are missing a step to make sure USB debugging is enabled. I think most will figure it out themselves, but it might save some questions later.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
That sure looks like a lot of work. Why not do it the easy way?

Lithoss

Reaction score
That sure looks like a lot of work. Why not do it the easy way?
Which easy way? the 1 click roots? The XDA easier 1-2-3 root one here wasn't working for me last night, it kept failing.

I couldn't try the one you mentioned because I'm at work and they don't allow us admin rights to install anything......

AND this way i learn stuff! :)