Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by pc747, Oct 25, 2010.

1. sanchez2504

sanchez2504 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are running the new Droid 2 2.3.20 look below:​

The steps are similar you will just be using a different rsdlite program and file.

Required programs: Team Black Hat: TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

Steps: The steps are similar to what is above except you only have one file to SBF. ​

got the stuf from here

2. a8ksh4

a8ksh4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wooo, learning thread... I have questions... :-D

I have a few questions I'd like to figure out before I swim into the deep end of the pool and start flashing ROMs... Any input is appreciated, but I'll also update my post to answer these as I do more research.

My Droid 2 currently has stock OS 2.3.20, rooted w/ z4root, clockwork recovery installed, some other stuff installed...

• sbf imaging:
      - When I hold down <camera> + <down_vol> + <power> and boot, I get the "OK to Program" bootloader screen. This is in the unwritable firmware in the droid 2, so I can't mess it up, correct?
      - That "OK to program" screen is where rsdlite is able to load the sbf images, correct? Does this mean that no matter how I brick my phone using clockwork, I'll be able to load the correct sbf and get working again? What if I use the wrong sbf or the wrong version of rsdlite?

• Clockwork:
      - I've seen that if I reboot to clockwork from the app, it will appear for the following two system reboots (the first of which is initiated by the app). Is this intended, such that on first reboot, we can flash a new ROM and try to boot it. Then if it boot-loops, we can power cycle the second time and restore a Nandroid backup?
      - It appears that I'm occationally also able to get to the clockwork bootloader by booting to the "OK to program" screen, then hitting the power button to turn off, then hitting it again to turn the Droid 2 back on. Is there a way to consistenlty get into the clockwork bootloader w/o the OS loading and running the app?

• Loading ROMs and Factory Reset:
      - What happens during a Factory Reset? I did one and my apps dissapeared until I re-activated the phone and signed into my google account, then they were back. Also, a binary that I dropped into /system/bin was still present. Does the Factory reset actually erase anythind aside from some account data?
      - When a new ROM is installed via clockwork and a zip file on the SD, what is happening? Does it just untar a bunch of stuff on the /system partition? I know there are a couple of data-wipe functions in clockwork, so maybe I need to see what those do to find out what isn't touched by the ROM...

• Putting stuff in /system
      - After rooting and figuring out how to mount /system as RW, I dropped a wget binary into /system/bin. Am I going to get into trouble dropping useful binaries into /system/bin, xbin, etc?
      - What's the best way to edit the default $PATH for root so I can use other directories to store nonstandard stuff?

3. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409

Sorry for the late response, my answers are in red. I hope I answered your questions.

4. thebird36

thebird36 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I tried using the sbf from that website (the triple threat 1) I'm running 2.3.20 right now and rsdlite 4.8 and I fail in the process everytime anything I'm doin wrong? I have superuser but I have no use of commands when I use the commands the # never shows up. I have bootstrap and rom manager and neither of them let me go to reboot recovery. I have nandroid backups and restored them but they don't restore

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

5. a8ksh4

a8ksh4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you remounting /system and the data partition as RW from the clockwork menu before you restore your nandroid backup?

I did the SBF on the triple threat page a couple days ago and it worked for me. I used RSDlite 4.9 and the full 2.3.20 sbf.

6. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409

You are in the bootloader mode right. (please see the first page for a video on how to use rsdlite). Also make sure you have the motoconnect drivers. A link to that is also on the first page of this thread.

7. thebird36

thebird36 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the drivers the only I don't have is the s flash 1 I can't put it on it needs a disc everytime I plug into it for rsdlite I have the full sbf and rsdlite 4.8 I can reupdate them and the reason why I'm sbfing is because I put a rom on wrong so it screwed with stuff

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

8. thebird36

thebird36 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    when i go to download the drivers which link to i click on the motorola website pc driver 1 or pc driver 2

9. thebird36

thebird36 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    nvm! im all rooted now so i can use reboot recovery now i jsut had to reroot it like i did wen i first rooted

10. XanRules

XanRules Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so what, if anything, changes with the first Monday class procedure (posts 2 and 8) if I'm running 2.3.0, the most recent OTA update?

11. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409
    Use the z4root app from the android market.

12. XanRules

XanRules Member

Ratings:
    +0
    z4root app and follow the instructions from the app, or follow these instructions from here?

Search tags for this page
chmod 777 rage*.bin unable

dbretzm1@

down load roms droidx2 using phone
droid 2 we rom
droid 4 class 28

droid2 x6

index[1]: unexpected chip 32
install rom droid 2
rsdlite reboots at bp load
superoneclick v1.6.3 download