Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Essentially yes but the underwear gnomes aren't on here that often anymore. I really hope that's what you were referencing.

Anyway my biggest suggestion with bloat is to by the pro version of titanium backup and use it to "freeze" them. That way its super easy to get them back by thawing them out. Plus tb has a ton of usefull features as you get further down the rabbit hole.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

XanRules

Reaction score
This is what I would do, i would make a nandroid back up right now of everything intact then play around with bloat that way if you remove something that you really need you can restore your backup. Also please get sbf installed on your pc and ready to go before flashing ANY roms. Though you have a nandroid backup, if you get stuck at the M the backup will not do you any good because you can not boot into clockwork recovery.
I personally prefer titanium backup and I will freeze the apps that way I can see how the phone will be effected before removing a key app. Plus I can defrost when ready.

TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

You can find the sbf there ^
So, in order to do this, I'll need z4app, and...whatever is linked in the previous post.
Anything else?

XanRules

Reaction score
been a long time since I was poking around stickies asking n00b questions anywhere. :)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no sbf is just for emergency. If your phone will not boot up and you can not restore your phone sbf will fix your phone to out of the box factory. THe only time you need to use an sbf is if you are returning your phone back to vzw, and even if I unroot I will flash sbf and wipe data and cache before sending my phone to vzw just in case. And the other time is if your phone gets stuck at the M or you flash a rom and your phone will not boot up (and you have a strong fully charged battery) and you can not restore your backup.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
to make a nandroid backup refer to the first page, but you will need koush's bootstrap recovery for the D2. Titanium Backup is a good SAFE app to use to freeze the bloatware.

XanRules

Reaction score
so then it's...

install z4root.
root phone.
install everything in provided link.
back up phone following prompts in aforementioned program.
make nandroid backup using bootstrap recovery.
delete horrible useless garbage.

then, when it's update time,
restore from nandroid backup.
update.
re-root.
re-delete garbage.

Assuming I download anything from the marketplace between now and update time, will I need to re-download it again after restoring from the nandroid backup?

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have to root before making the backup.

Edit: that's another place where titanium backup shines, after restoring a nandroid backup you can use tb to restore any apps you downloaded after the date of the nandroid.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
so then it's...

install z4root.
root phone.

update.
re-root.
re-delete garbage.

Assuming I download anything from the marketplace between now and update time, will I need to re-download it again after restoring from the nandroid backup?

Actually its install z4root
root phone
Install bootsrap recovery
look at video that I provided to see how to make a nandroid backup
make a nandroid backup
Install titanium backup
remove bloat
later on tonight or tomorrow make sure you install the rsdlite and the sbf file from the TBH link I provided.
Enjoy your phone
Enjoy your phone

and do what you said when it come update time.

XanRules

Reaction score
so then it's...

install z4root.
root phone.

update.
re-root.
re-delete garbage.

Actually its install z4root
root phone
Install bootsrap recovery
look at video that I provided to see how to make a nandroid backup
make a nandroid backup
Install titanium backup
remove bloat
later on tonight or tomorrow make sure you install the rsdlite and the sbf file from the TBH link I provided.
Enjoy your phone
Enjoy your phone

and do what you said when it come update time.
Woot.
I'll refer to the respective threads on rsdlite and sbf to figure out how to use those.

Thank you both so much.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have a video on sbf and rsdlite here in this thread, the only diff between the one in the video (which is the droid x) is that to get into bootloader you power on while holding the physical x key and you use a diff sbf file than what is shown in the vid. The procedures are basically the same.

XanRules

Reaction score
about to start, here.
Trying to figure out what RSDlite and SBF are and why I need them.

XanRules

Reaction score
I'm not ready to do all this deleting and unfreezing and ROM business, I'm just gonna hide the stuff with LauncherPro at this point.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.