Cool uses for your Droid

KiotaKahn

Reaction score
I called my wife in Tampa while I was in Gainesville. Had I not had the Droid, it would have hurt my throat to yell that loud :icon_evil:

So you're saying you can talk to people on this thing?:icon_eek:

Must be nice... I've been using mine on WiFi only for over a week, waiting for my VZW rep to get back from vacation to activate my dealer line. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple days. In the meantime, it's getting pretty embarrasing when I'm showing off my cool new Droid and I have to answer a call on my old and busted Treo 700p.

TheShaz

Reaction score
Must be nice... I've been using mine on WiFi only for over a week, waiting for my VZW rep to get back from vacation to activate my dealer line. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple days. In the meantime, it's getting pretty embarrasing when I'm showing off my cool new Droid and I have to answer a call on my old and busted Treo 700p.

My Omnia just croaked today. Wont take a charge. I have the FED EX Tracking number for my new DROID - Due tomorrow by 3pm.

I wonder if Fed Ex's web servers will block a IP from repeated access? Because I'm to the point I want to check the status every 5min.

lschmitt

Reaction score
google map navigations is awesome and i did use it once, but it really drained the batter fast, right ?
I've used it numerous times since I got my droid. Usually I have it charging while I use it, but the battery does seem to drain rather fast. I also noticed that at times it will take you around the block to get to a destination when you don't need to. Not sure what that's all about. I use to use VZNavigation and it did the same thing. Overall, though, it's a huge improvement over VZNav, which never seems to give good directions. Just my experience.

I love the new navigation on the droid. Unlike vznav wich would tell you to do a u turn, google will just re route you which is nice. I also like that it shows you a picture of the building when you reach it!
I thought I was lucky to have vznav when I had my BB storm. Now I know what a real nav app should be. It'll only get better!!

lschmitt

Reaction score
Took my nephew to his martial arts class last night. My niece was with me and being difficult. We looked for a game and downloaded Poke-a-Mole. She loved it!! I have to say, I am enjoying it too, though it will most likely get boring. I'm gonna leave it on my phone for those occasions, well worth it!!

erfoster

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Google Maps is the same, but I've noticed the dedicated GPS units (TomTom, Garmin, etc) often favor right turns over left, and will send you around the block sometimes so that your destination is on the right.

I've used it numerous times since I got my droid. Usually I have it charging while I use it, but the battery does seem to drain rather fast. I also noticed that at times it will take you around the block to get to a destination when you don't need to. Not sure what that's all about. I use to use VZNavigation and it did the same thing. Overall, though, it's a huge improvement over VZNav, which never seems to give good directions. Just my experience.

Tammiejo

Reaction score
I actually used the metal detector when I dropped my car keys in a very leaf covered front yard!

lswingle

Reaction score
Dog Caller

Sometimes when I let my female Great Pyrenees out in the back yard,
she starts barking and doesn't want to come in.
That's when I break out Cat Sounds sound board.
It serves 2 purposes; it gets her in and gives me a good laugh.

cgarnes

Reaction score
I actually used the metal detector when I dropped my car keys in a very leaf covered front yard!

I swear, I thought you were JOKING when I read this, so I pulled up the Market Search, and there it is!

No kidding? I'm downloading this app, and I'm going to try it out. That's for the WOW!

Nedaroth

Reaction score
well lets see...

-used google navigation to find a fishing spot

-once at the spot opened up my fishing buddy app and cast my line for the first time

-decided that i didn't like the side of the lake that i was on, so i opened google maps and spotted a nice area on the other side

-drove to the other side of the lake where the grass was heavily saturated from two weeks worth of rain

-got stuck in the mud with my "not so mighty" two wheel drive titan ( stupid me)

-opened google maps again to get the phone number to the reception desk in the conservation area (busch wildlife)
-----FAST FORWARD-----

-took lots of photos with my "finally focusing camera" and uploaded them to "LOOPT" so that everyone could see just where i was and how stupid i was

-called my best friend to come pick me up.... and since i uploaded my status to loopt, he just clicked on the link with his Iphone and knew exactly where i was...

HEY I'M HOME NOW- truck is still there until tomorrow when i'll attempt to dig it out....

all in all, it was a pretty exciting day with some losses and plenty of laughter ( at my own expense )- DROID WAS THERE FOR IT ALL.... and the best part was my battery didn't die until i was in the comforts of my best friends car !!! :icon_ banana:

Motorola is getting ready to release the solar powered charger soon. :) So that wont even be an issue when stranded.

Sex Cells

Reaction score
sometimes its nice when people need to talk to me i use the feature that allows us to speak to eachother without being face to face. A++++

crap, now i'm going to have even more apps installed on this thing.

is there an app that allows you to have more desktops then the 3?

Last edited:

DjSmooth

Reaction score
Yup, it has become something of a house tradition that comes Thanksgiving and everyone that stops by the house is expecting some of my famous Deep Dish Home made Sweet Potato Pies. So I don't know what happened but I had a Brain meltdown and felt I was forgetting something. So I grabbed my Droid, long press Search (for Voice Search) and said "Recipe for Sweet Potato Pie" within seconds I was looking a list of options, the best was All recipes ? complete resource for recipes and cooking tips <<<<---Great Site, allows updating the ingredients for the right amount.

So, my Droid worked out pretty good (in Larry David's voice)

OMEGA5

Reaction score
I use Cardiotrainer 3+ times a week, finally can keep track of my runs, and is a lot more accurate than my distance guessing!

coondogg97

Reaction score
I have used page 3 on the home screen to make shortcuts for my frequent contacts. All you have to do is click the contact and it will dial...the same is true for messaging. Looks like it will hold 16 contacts without a folder.

Thought I was the only one who did this :)

I was doing this, then I decided to move my page of contacts into a folder.
Unlike the 16 contact limitation on the home screen you can add as many contacts as you want to a folder. And you can break your contacts up into groups of folders (Family, Work, Friends, etc). I just wish you could change the folder icon.

There is also an app called Launcher Dock that allows you to create icons to launch different activities. You can associate a number of contacts with an icon and when you hit that icon a pinwheel comes up of your contacts (or apps or bookmarks). I wasn't impressed with the response time, but I didn't toy with it too much.

chart

204janet

Reaction score
coondogg97--How do you add contacts to a folder on home screen...thanks