Droid does internet @ 30,000 feet

gdoane

Reaction score
wouldn't the GPS app not work since you're in airplane mode and using wifi instead of the towers being able to coordinate your position?
yes, the GPS function is not available on airplane mode....but as the poster said, his helicopter pilot doesn't make him put it into airplane mode when flying.

The Helo pilot doesn't even put his own cell phone into airplane mode when he's flying. I will wind up out of data coverage if my Droid does the same as my Moto Q does on the helo. I tend to drop data (all but text messaging, that still works somehow) right past Saguaro Lake when we get into the Canyon Lake area.

I'm hoping the helo is the Eurocopter TwinStar because the pilot is a bit more daring with that one than the A-Star (difference between the two is TwinStar has two engines, A-Star only has one). He'll run the TwinStar through the canyons but he's light on the throttle in the A-Star.

The helos themselves have hilarious cell phones, remember the old Iridium satellite telephone system? Iridium was so named because the Atomic Element number for Iridium is 77 and the network was supposed to be that many low-Earth-orbit satellites tied together to make an orbiting cell phone system that would put Verizon's to shame.

Unfortunately, the cell phones are about the size of your average wine bottle. Consumer acceptance was somewhere between zero and none, and it got relegated to commercial and military use as the project faded out of view.

The helos have those cell phones, though. Better than nothing but expensive as heck. The Helo is too, though. The TwinStar used price is about $1.6 Million.