Droid does internet @ 30,000 feet

joegrind

Reaction score
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Posting from DL2052 on the Droid somewhere over Florida. On airplane mode but fyi Delta and gogo are giving free wifi for the holidays. My entire family wants the Droid! So if anyone has any flights over the holidays with Delta, be sure to have your Droid handy!

medicTHREE

Reaction score
wanna have some fun, go to flightaware.com and put in your flight number and see just how high, fast and where you are!

gdoane

Reaction score
My Droid goes for it's first helicopter flight next week. The pilot never makes us put the phones in airplane mode so I'll have the Droid on the whole time. I wish there was an app to use the GPS and get MPH. The helo airspeed is usually somewhere between 120-150 MPH and it'd be fun to see the Droid try and clock that.

OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
Was thinking of streaming live via Qik...but its boring out there.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
My Droid goes for it's first helicopter flight next week. The pilot never makes us put the phones in airplane mode so I'll have the Droid on the whole time. I wish there was an app to use the GPS and get MPH. The helo airspeed is usually somewhere between 120-150 MPH and it'd be fun to see the Droid try and clock that.

Look into the gps tracking apps. They show tracks and i believe the gps track from instamapper.com shows mph and will upload it to a website.

wsbsteven

Reaction score

GPS Speedo in market

gdoane

Reaction score

GPS Speedo in market

Downloading. Thanks!

mrredskin

Reaction score
wouldn't the GPS app not work since you're in airplane mode and using wifi instead of the towers being able to coordinate your position?

OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
wouldn't the GPS app not work since you're in airplane mode and using wifi instead of the towers being able to coordinate your position?
yes, the GPS function is not available on airplane mode....but as the poster said, his helicopter pilot doesn't make him put it into airplane mode when flying.

Zecpull

Reaction score
Gps is sattelites

Actually I think when it is in GPS mode it is going off the GPS satellites, and Garmins work in planes....though the windows.

OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
Hey...if anyone is going to try this over the holidays, could you try using fring or Skype lite in Airplane mode to see if you can make a call over wi-fi and post your findings....I forgot to try fring while I was in the air...Gvoice text messaging works pretty darn well though!

atlharry

Reaction score
From my experience with gogo, i wouldn't try VOIP apps just because the throughput on those planes gets MIGHTY slow once a number of people start browsing and streaming YouTube and what not. I MAY give it a try on Friday on my way back to Atlanta though! If I do, I'll keep you posted.