What happens to my droid if I cancel my Verizon plan?

Daytona

Reaction score
With AT&T, if you cancel your cell phone plan and you have an iphone, your iphone basically becomes an ipod touch. You lose the phone functionality, but over wifi you can do pretty much everything you could before. Is this the same for the droid? I'm switching back to my iphone, but i'd still love to use the droid for vids/photos/apps/games/etc. And i'd still like to buy apps, read news, download feeds etc over wifi. Will I be able to? I've tried already putting my phone in airplane mode and turning wifi on and everything still works, but i'm worried that if i cancel my VZ plan, they'll magically do something to my phone that renders it useless.

Anyone know?
Thanks.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd call VZW and verify, but you bought the phone outright, so whatever you can do with it is just fine. I would expect that it would operate as it usually does, but without the cell signal -- I could be wrong though.

OP
D

Daytona

Reaction score
ok. that sort of helps but not really. asking VZ is questionable b/c when I asked AT&T if i could use my iphone as an ipod touch after cancelling, they incorrectly said no. We've got two extra iphones with no cell/data plans around the house that work perfectly as ipod touches.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i would imagine it'd be the same, just be another media device....

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok. that sort of helps but not really. asking VZ is questionable b/c when I asked AT&T if i could use my iphone as an ipod touch after cancelling, they incorrectly said no. We've got two extra iphones with no cell/data plans around the house that work perfectly as ipod touches.

Pick up the phone and call VZW. I dont know why you think anyone here will know better than they will...

I've been misguided by forums many more times than I've been misguided by a CSR.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work on wifi alone. Makes sense to me. I don't know about downloading apps though. I guess you could.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I discontinued my service with AT&T, like you, I was able to use my iPhone with my wifi. I'm not positive but I believe I was able to do email.

I'm guessing the same would apply with the Droid.

Mike

OP
D

Daytona

Reaction score
Pick up the phone and call VZW. I dont know why you think anyone here will know better than they will...

I've been misguided by forums many more times than I've been misguided by a CSR.

Ok Dad. I'll call VZW. :biggrin: hahaha, just kidding...not trying to be irritating. I will call VZW and ask, but i guess your experience with CSR's has been better than mine. I usually get people who don't know as much as i do. Guess i'll be the guinea pig. I should point out that i still like my droid and plan on using it b/c i still think android is amazing.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok Dad. I'll call VZW. :biggrin: hahaha, just kidding...not trying to be irritating. I will call VZW and ask, but i guess your experience with CSR's has been better than mine. I usually get people who don't know as much as i do. Guess i'll be the guinea pig. I should point out that i still like my droid and plan on using it b/c i still think android is amazing.

Haha, no worries. Really though, I think it'll just operate like it always does, since it's been activated. I'd love to know what a CSR tells you....

techguru

Reaction score
I am back on my Droid now, but I was unemployed for a couple of months and had to cancel my data plan so I switched to a dumb phone. Droid worked great on WiFi as a PDA. Only things that didn't work were navigation (actually worked if I had a WiFi signal, but that is not practical for driving) and voice recognition without WiFi coverage (the droid doesn't actually do the recognition, it passes your voice as data to Google servers which do the recognition and pass the data back, which is why it has such a huge vocabulary).

If you totally cancel with Verizon, you will pay an early termination fee which helps them recoup the cost of subsidizing your phone purchase.

It is unlikely you will get the 2.1 update pushed to you when Verizon releases it if you are only connecting on WiFi (the My Verizon website also doesn't work over WiFi), but someone is bound to make an update.zip file so i wouldn't worry about that.

Alan

OP
D

Daytona

Reaction score
I am back on my Droid now, but I was unemployed for a couple of months and had to cancel my data plan so I switched to a dumb phone. Droid worked great on WiFi as a PDA. Only things that didn't work were navigation (actually worked if I had a WiFi signal, but that is not practical for driving) and voice recognition without WiFi coverage (the droid doesn't actually do the recognition, it passes your voice as data to Google servers which do the recognition and pass the data back, which is why it has such a huge vocabulary).

If you totally cancel with Verizon, you will pay an early termination fee which helps them recoup the cost of subsidizing your phone purchase.

It is unlikely you will get the 2.1 update pushed to you when Verizon releases it if you are only connecting on WiFi (the My Verizon website also doesn't work over WiFi), but someone is bound to make an update.zip file so i wouldn't worry about that.

Alan

YESSSSS! glad to hear it still worked fine. and good point about 2.1. I'll probably wait for 2.1 first and then cancel.
thanks.

crspang

Reaction score
I think the TOS states that the Droid will spontaneously combust and burn your house down if you leave it for any iNazi device.

Seriously though, you'll be able to do everything that doesn't require VZW, you'll still be able to get apps from the market.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting, my experience has been the opposite. Though I am new to VZW and I don't accept forum data without corroboration.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Alan

Alan,

Really? The My Verizon website doesn't work over WiFi? How do I connect to it using my home computer? Of course, if you've dropped Verizon service there wouldn't be much point in looking at My Verizon, but couldn't you access it using the phone's browser?

Your comment about the 2.1 update also caught my eye. My Droid uses WiFi about 90% of the time connected to my home network. (Maybe I should get out more.) Anyhow, I'd be surprised if the android O/S updates aren't pushed out through the wifi connection. Seems that Verizon would be getting a flood of customer service calls from folks who don't receive the update. (I don't recall, frankly, how I received the 2.0.1 update but I think it was probably over Wifi.)