Can I port second line to AT&T, but not cancel my Verizon account?

marlopoohbear

Reaction score
Hello.

We have 3 lines on our Verizon account. My husband has a new job, and wants to port his number to his work phone which is on AT&T. His number is one of the secondary lines on our account, and is out of contract.

Verizon is telling him this can't be done without canceling the entire account, and paying an early termination fee because our son's phone is still under contract.

We don't want to cancel the whole account, just the one line to port that one number. Furthermore, I don't want to cancel the account and lose my unlimited data! We've been loyal Verizon customers for all of eternity and I'm very happy with the service. This seems so stupid.

Any ideas? Thanks.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that those phone lines are attached to a "block" similar to businesses with multiple numbers looking to go to a CLEC. The entire block needs to come over.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

JoeyJ

Reaction score
I left our family plan when my phone was due for an upgrade but my mom and brother had already used theirs. No early termination or anything but not sure if that will change any of your unlimited plans.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

tommyg562000

Reaction score
yes, you can do that. Just go to ATT and have them port it. If its out of contract then there will not be an ETF for that line. Doing this will not effect the remaining lines. I just did the same thing with 2 of the lines on my family share account. The vzw rep you talked to doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

OP
M

marlopoohbear

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Husband just told me he doesn't want to give up his line, but wants to get a new number for the Verizon line and port his existing number to AT&T. Apparently he doesn't want to lose his unlimited data either! So.... any insight on that scenario?

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Husband just told me he doesn't want to give up his line, but wants to get a new number for the Verizon line and port his existing number to AT&T. Apparently he doesn't want to lose his unlimited data either! So.... any insight on that scenario?

Now that may be an issue. Verizon might be nice and give the new line unlimited data. Really this is totally going to depend on the rep you get and what mood they are in.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums