Buying the Razr via Amazon

markpeterpan

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a family share plan of five lines, three of which are eligible for upgrades. Is the following possible without incurring fees and whatnot?
  1. Transfer one of the three eligible upgrades to line X
  2. Port line X's number from Verizon to Google Voice (since I want to keep my number)
  3. Cancel line X's service from Verizon
  4. Purchase a Droid Razr with new service/contract/number for $0.01
  5. Associate (NOT PORT) my Google Voice number (which is my former Verizon number that I ported to Google Voice) with my new Verizon account/number
Thanks!

M

Last edited:
OP
M

markpeterpan

Reaction score
Sorry to bump, but with 120+ views and 0 replies, are people not responding because they don't know or because it's been answered elsewhere? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DroidXCBR

Reaction score
If you are the account holder there should be no issuses with you taking another lines upgrade! I do not think it will work on the amazon deal for $.01 that is for new lines and new customers only.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

DroidXCBR

Reaction score
I have a family plan with 2 lines now 3 on it and got the deal buy adding a line when the phone gets here I will call verizon and have them remove the data package and replace it with a dummy phone(that doesn't exist) and transfer the Razr to my number. You still pay the $9. 99 a month but at 24months that's $240. That's less than the phone cost!

OP
M

markpeterpan

Reaction score
Thanks! However, doesn't step 4 ("Purchase a Droid Razr with new service/contract/number for $0.01") satisfy that new-line-only requirement?

DroidXCBR

Reaction score
Yes it will but if you cancel you have to pay the 299 it would normally cost but make sure for yourself don't take my word! I just don't want to be held responsible for any misunderstandings.

OP
M

markpeterpan

Reaction score
Yes it will but if you cancel you have to pay the 299 it would normally cost but make sure for yourself don't take my word! I just don't want to be held responsible for any misunderstandings.

I'm not cancelling anything after purchasing the new phone/line through Amazon, though (I'm canceling a line, then buying a new one). Is that still considered having canceled a line?

lemodular

Reaction score
Check with Amazon to be sure that you will not get charged for transferring a number off of a "new" line to replace with your old one. There may be a clause requiring you to maintain the number on the new device for a period of time (6 months?).

OP
M

markpeterpan

Reaction score
Check with Amazon to be sure that you will not get charged for transferring a number off of a "new" line to replace with your old one. There may be a clause requiring you to maintain the number on the new device for a period of time (6 months?).

Thanks, lemodular. I'm not transferring any numbers, though. I'm just associating my Google Voice number with the new device, while keeping the new device's original number. Is that a problem?

djspy

Reaction score
by cancelling the account and getting a new one wont you lose your unlimited data plan?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you buy a phone from amazon it HAS to stay on the line it is assigned to for 181 days. I called six times this morning to make sure. Im kind of upset because the Razr is on its way to me and I will have to refuse it :(

She is right. See my post at the bottom of the page HERE http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/183545-amazon-drops-price-razr-01-a-2.html.

You can also not change the data plan to a non-data plan on the new number either. Again, the 181 day stip applies.

My plan works and passes muster with both Verizon and Amazon.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi,

I have a family share plan of five lines, three of which are eligible for upgrades. Is the following possible without incurring fees and whatnot?
  1. Transfer one of the three eligible upgrades to line X
  2. Port line X's number from Verizon to Google Voice (since I want to keep my number)
  3. Cancel line X's service from Verizon
  4. Purchase a Droid Razr with new service/contract/number for $0.01
  5. Associate (NOT PORT) my Google Voice number (which is my former Verizon number that I ported to Google Voice) with my new Verizon account/number
Thanks!

M

See my post HERE http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/183545-amazon-drops-price-razr-01-a-2.html

DroidXCBR

Reaction score
Looks like I have to make some changes on my account come Friday lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums