God I hate Verizon

sajgel

Reaction score
Its basically my Dad. Im not that upset to be honest its his to do with. He didnt know that would happen. I just found out myself. Him and I have unlimited (He upgraded in january so it was before the new plan structure) We have a 3rd line for someone else they have the tiered plan so I will push the upgrade that my dad has onto the 3rd line and then move the phone to my line..free upgrade + stay grandfathered

so basically

A Has Upgrade this 09/2012
B Had upgrade in 01/2012
C Has No upgrade

Became

A Took Up Grade from B/ Has Upgrade on 09/2012
B no upgrade
C no upgrade

To Finally

A No Upgrade
B No UpGrade
C Took Upgrade From A -Give Phone to B

So the question now is What phone to get?

I made another thread but no replies. Whats everyone suggestion? Im leaning towards Nexus

Nexus or Rzr maxx are the top choices right now.
But the razr M and Maxx hd are coming out verrrry soon

OP
MonKENy

MonKENy

Reaction score
So you have a joint contract with Verizon? I know only the owner of the account can approve purchases change plans or upgrade phones. I am not understanding your predicament. Do you share an account with someone or is this your own account. If this is your account simply cancel the upgraded phone and return it and put a stop to the other individual messing with your account. If you just pay another person and share the account then I would suggest telling that person to cancel the upgrade and returning the phone. I would explain to them I will not be responsible for any part of a phone bill after whatever date you know your phone is up.

I read where you said you have a contract with Verizon. What kind of contract is it? Family share plan Yes a family plan. How many names are on the contract? Just his. I believe Who has authority to authorize any changes to the account? Him and I
You stated the primary account holder upgrade his phone with an available upgrade from your phone. I have a family share plan and 4 phones and have upgraded plenty of our phones over the years. Anyone that does what he did knows it was going to increase the contract time on your phone. You should be angry with him not Verizon. If your name is not if you did not sign a contract with Verizon and have a verbal agreement with the PRIMARY ACCOUNT HOLDER then I would give him the choice of returning the phone or paying for your phone for the extension he caused.
He is taking advantage of you. First by taking your upgrade oh did he ask you to ? And now I'm sure he wants you to continue paying for 2 more years , really nice and you hate Verizon?

He didnt know this would happen. I hate Verizon not just for this but for many things. I think its stupid that there is nothing in place to stop this from happening. If you make someone an account manager and there is multiple line they should not allow major changes like this w/out consent of both the account manager and the line holder unless they are the same person. It wasnt until after verizon put its new tiered system into place did we decide to let the accounts run out and then switch. So all the upgrades pre-dates that. I can drop the line any time I want he will make it a 9.99 line no big deal. I dont want to NOT have a cvell phone and im unwilling to leave him w/a bill because I happen to not like where it went.

On Family Share plans, there's the Account Owner, and there are Account Managers. The only thing an Account Manager cannot do is cancel service on any of the lines. The Account Manager CAN purchase and upgrade lines that are eligible and accept the Terms and Conditions. When the OP's Dad used the eligible phone upgrade, the Dad accepted the T&C on the eligible line and he had to know what he was doing. You guys dont know my Dad, he didnt know.

Be upset with your Dad not VZW. If you feel your Dad has unfairly treated you, then open up your own account in your name and you will be the account owner and only you can call the shots. Its not about him treating me unfairly, No matter what Hes stuck w/Verizon until 2014 we decided to cancle AFTER he had already upgraded. The point is Verizons policies in general

What FoxKat has been saying is absolutely correct. I just jumped in to clarify your post about what an Account Owner and what an Account Manager can't do. I actually do know this as a fact, as I worked for VZW for over 3 years.

if line A had an unlimited plan then you can use that option on your phone when "A's" date is due.
I forgot to mention Line A is unlimited Line B is unlimited and Line C is tiered thats why I want to transfer the upgrade to line C and then just activate the phone on my Line (B)

Nexus or Rzr maxx are the top choices right now.
But the razr M and Maxx hd are coming out verrrry soon

Ill go nexus. Dad did the Razr I hate it, Plus Ill never trust a device I cant remove the battery from myself. Hes gone through 3 or 4 razrs all w/the same issues. As it stands if he has an issue again we are going to swap the phone for something different.

CALJREICH

Reaction score
If you are only paying $9.99 a month for your cell phone in my opinion you have nothing to kick about.If I was in your Dad's position I would just tell you what I was doing and if you wanted a new phone you could buy it out right your self.

I did not at first understand that your father was providing you cell phone service. You don't get cell phone service for $9.99 a month. You got it made. Stop beefing.

OP
MonKENy

MonKENy

Reaction score
If you are only paying $9.99 a month for your cell phone in my opinion you have nothing to kick about.If I was in your Dad's position I would just tell you what I was doing and if you wanted a new phone you could buy it out right your self.

I did not at first understand that your father was providing you cell phone service. You don't get cell phone service for $9.99 a month. You got it made. Stop beefing.

I pay $90 a month for my line. If I wanted to leave he would remove all packages and just drop the line to a 9.99 line until it ran out. S*it yeah if I was paying 9.99 for unlimted Data w/ a DX I wouldnt have nothing but a smile and a howdoyado to say about a damn thing.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Forgive me because I am sort of totally confused. I pretty much do exactly what your dad did. I am the account holder, manager and the only one who can make decisions on my 4 lines (which include me and my 3 sons)... because I am the one who pays the bills. I almost always use the available upgrade on whatever line is eligible and use it for myself to get the newest and greatest phone and then I move my "old" phone down to the next in line of whoever is most deserving (usually whichever son has had his phone the longest). This year I made an exception because I had two upgrades available and let my youngest use one of them as a birthday present. Then my oldest son (who can not handle technology in the slightest and hated the Androids I was passing on down to him) lucked out and got a brand new Iphone from one of his clients who happened to be a Verizon Manager. The eligible upgrade dates on all our lines are according to when the phone that is on the line was purchased (20 months from purchase date) and the contract end date for each line is according to whatever phone is on that line was purchased.

After looking at all the lines on my account, the eligible upgrade dates and the contract end dates, this is how it looks:

Line A-Myself: used Line D's upgrade-
Purchased a Razr Maxx on 2/29/2012 eligible upgrade date 10/29/2013 Contract end date 2/29/2014
Line B-Son 1: used Line C's upgrade-
Purchased a Rezound on 2/18/2012 eligible upgrade date 10/18/2013 Contract end date 2/18/2014
Line C-Son 2: No eligible upgrade but had to renew contract as part of the deal-
Rec'd a new iPhone4 on 3/23/2013 eligible upgrade date 11/23/2013 Contract end date 3/23/2014
Line D-Son 3: used line B upgrade-
Purchased Droid Charge on 7/9/2011 eligible upgrade date 3/9/2013 Contract end date 7/9/2013

Line D's phone (Droid Charge) used to be my phone (Line A) and when I transferred that phone to his line, it transferred the eligible upgrade date and the contract end date to his phone (Line D).

Now because verizon does not care what you do with the phone once you get it, then if I was to sell my Razr maxx with contract end date of 2/28/2014 and put the new RAZR M (that I am about to get) on my line, because there was no purchase of the RAZR M, my contract date should remain the same-2/28/2014.

It seems like in the op's situation, that Line A (Dad) has the brand new phone just recently purchased on his Line A, then his eligible upgrade date and contract end date for his phone would be 20 months and 2 years from the recent purchase of that phone. The OP's phone's eligible upgrade date and contract end date should be according to whenever the phone he currently has on his line was purchased.

In regards to moving your phone number off this account, you can do an assumption of liability. This is the information I received from Verizon last month when my son on Line C thought he was getting the wrong end of the stick (because I was asking him to contribute towards the bill as he makes a very healthy salary). He thought he would assume responsibility (assumption of liability) for his own line and have his own account. Of course, I was all for this great idea. We got Verizon on the phone to see what would be involved. They said there would be no penalty charges, he would be renewing his contract, surprisingly would be able to keep his unlimited data and would have his own account and his own bill. Only his bill was going to be $80-100 per month compared to the $40 that I was asking him to contribute. Funny, he didn't like that idea. So needless to say, I still have line C on my account.

One thing your dad can do is, log online into his account and look at the plan details. It will give the eligible upgrade date for each line and the contract end date for each phone. If you wanted to take the earliest contract end date, then all that would be necessary is transfer whichever phone it is that has the earliest contract end date and move it to your line, then when the contract ends you would be able to remove that line from the account without penalty.

Does this sound like what everyone else understands?

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be absolutely clear there are no account managers unless the Account Owner authorizes it and they can be unauthorized by the account owner. My account has ME as the account owner and NOONE including my wife can change anything. They may report a lost phone but that is all and I pay the bill.
Yes, an account owner designates who is going to be an Account Manager. I didn't realize that it wasn't clear to you when I posted this earlier.

CALJREICH

Reaction score
You had stated that all family share plans have both Account Managers and Account Owner. My point is that
NO THEY DON'T. They only have an account manager IF the account owner authorities any.

iveman89

Reaction score
man so I am confused now

we have old family share plan

Line A and Line B have 4glte unlimited grandfathered.

Line C has 3g unlimited grandfathered.

Line D has 4glte 4Gb (paying for 2gb, 2gb free)

Line E I have no idea I think its 9.99. it was a tablet removed

1. if any of these lines are upgraded they will have to get the new plan correct?

2. can I use all of the the upgrade on line E without changing the plan on A-D, just extend their contracts? ( I know line C is 3g ignore)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think iveman, if I understand correctly from what FoxKat said, that you could use line D's eligible upgrade with limited data to upgrade a phone at a subsidized price without changing the unlimited data on the other lines. Then after you upgrade on Line D, move that phone to Line A, B or C.

OP
MonKENy

MonKENy

Reaction score
In regards to moving your phone number off this account, you can do an assumption of liability. This is the information I received from Verizon last month when my son on Line C thought he was getting the wrong end of the stick (because I was asking him to contribute towards the bill as he makes a very healthy salary). He thought he would assume responsibility (assumption of liability) for his own line and have his own account. Of course, I was all for this great idea. We got Verizon on the phone to see what would be involved. They said there would be no penalty charges, he would be renewing his contract, surprisingly would be able to keep his unlimited data and would have his own account and his own bill. Only his bill was going to be $80-100 per month compared to the $40 that I was asking him to contribute. Funny, he didn't like that idea. So needless to say, I still have line C on my account I dont want to remove my line. We al want to be done w/verizon. I was just hoping to be done sooner thats all. He has to keep the account for as long as there is an active contract (unless we assume liabilty but that doesnt solve the problem) Honestly I was hoping that his and my contracts ended soon so we could have line C assume liability and be done. But since Mine is the one thats extended now until 2014 we are stuck.

One thing your dad can do is, log online into his account and look at the plan details. It will give the eligible upgrade date for each line and the contract end date for each phone. I do all that for him. He did the upgrade spur of the moment w/out telling me first otherwise we would have avoided this whole mess as I would have just transfered everything to line C and used that. We dont care about line C because when its over we will make the person using that line assume liability. If you wanted to take the earliest contract end date, then all that would be necessary is transfer whichever phone it is that has the earliest contract end date and move it to your line, then when the contract ends you would be able to remove that line from the account without penalty. The problem is its his line that is at the contract end date. Hes been w/his mobile # for like 12-15yrs He doesnt want to lose his # and we cant let line B (mine) lapse so yeah

Does this sound like what everyone else understands?

I think iveman, if I understand correctly from what FoxKat said, that you could use line D's eligible upgrade with limited data to upgrade a phone at a subsidized price without changing the unlimited data on the other lines. Then after you upgrade on Line D, move that phone to Line A, B or C.

Bingo

man so I am confused now

we have old family share plan

Line A and Line B have 4glte unlimited grandfathered.

Line C has 3g unlimited grandfathered.

Line D has 4glte 4Gb (paying for 2gb, 2gb free)

Line E I have no idea I think its 9.99. it was a tablet removed

1. if any of these lines are upgraded they will have to get the new plan correct?

2. can I use all of the the upgrade on line E without changing the plan on A-D, just extend their contracts? ( I know line C is 3g ignore)

But just be aware that no matter what you will always be locked into a new 2 year agreement on the last line you took the upgrade from. (ALSO if you want to put a 4g phone on C w/out losing unlimited thats possible as well, just activate it on line E and transfer it to line C)

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Did your dad buy the phone in the last 14 days? If so, what happens if your dad returns the phone, would it annul the contract. There would be a $35 restocking fee but it may solve your problem. Find out if it would also reset the eligible upgrade date back to what it was originally.

If that worked and you all still wanted to go with your original plan, you would be back on track. If your dad needs a phone to wait out the original contract date, he could buy one from eBay, Craigslist, our sister site android.net, etc. If you buy a phone full price or from a non - Verizon authorized retailer then it does not renew your contract.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
But just be aware that no matter what you will always be locked into a new 2 year agreement on the last line you upgraded. So for Example you move Line A's upgrade to E and use it. Line E gets reset to 2 years NOT line A, Then 6 months later you move Line B's upgrade to E. Line E gets reset to 2 years not B (ALSO if you want to put a 4g phone on C w/out losing unlimited thats possible as well, just activate it on line E and transfer it to line C)

This is completely backwards. Straight from Verizon (using your example)...

Your first sentence is accurate. Where the information becomes inaccurate is in the second sentence.

If you use line A which has an upgrade available to purchase a phone at the upgrade price, line A will now have the newer contract and will have to wait 2 years to terminate without an early termination fee. It doesn't matter what phone line or number that new phone is ported to, all that matters is that line A was the line used to effect that upgrade and so line A will now be on the new two year contact.

Now, you can move phones from one line to another by swapping ESNs (MEID). I did this with my wife's phone. She had the same number for over 15 years (sane as me), but the line she was on wasn't eligible for an upgrade. At that time, Amazon was running the .01 cent sale on RAZRs, so I opened a new line on my family plan for her new phone, adding a new two year contract with the double data plan (4GB for the 2GB price . Then I swapped that phone over to her grandfathered unlimited data plan, stuck my OG Droid on that line to continue the obligation and now my wife has a RAZR, same old phone number and her number is still grandfathered for unlimited data, and is not under the new 2-year agreement, the new phone number with the OGD is. Also, I used the available upgrade on one other line I had that was out of contract to subsidize my RAZR purchase and again, I am still grandfathered and beyond my contract cutoff date Meanwhile the line I used for that upgrade is now under a new two-year agreement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Believe it or not, FoxKat, I think you are incorrect (I totally cannot believe I am saying this...FoxKat incorrect? Can those two words actually be used in the same sentence). Edit: Not they can not and I never said any such thing! FoxKat knows exactly what he was talking about and was 100% correct all along! I think someone else tried to put those two words together in one sentence... I would never dream of doing such a thing, lol!

Look at my very long post a few posts back. Those details are according to my actual contracts. All the phones I have bought were using another lines upgrade but the eligible upgrade date and contract end date are determined by the purchase date of the phone not by the line. My Maxx was purchased using line D's eligible upgrade (my upgrade was not due til 3/2013). Because I put the Maxx on my line, it changed my eligible upgrade & contract end dates specifically based on the date I purchased the Maxx. When I moved my Droid Charge to line D, it changed that line's dates to what mine used to be... which is based specifically on the date that I bought the Charge.

I think if you go online and look at your eligible upgrade dates (20 months from date of purchase) & contract end dates (2 years from dop) you will find that your wife's dates on her phone # is based on the date you bought the Razr and your newly activated line has now assumed the dates of your og Droid.

Amazon supposedly charges a huge fee if you buy their phone at a subsidized price then move it off the line it was purchased on before 6 months is up. How did you avoid that? Do they just not know? I almost bought my Charge from Amazon but when I was told this by Amazon, I asked Verizon and Verizon said it is Amazon's policy not theirs but I didn't want to take my chances.

Last edited:

iveman89

Reaction score
Well what I am getting from Tis is: What ever line uses the upgrade, that line is extended.

from Kat is: what ever line you get the upgrade from that line gets extended.

Kat actually makes sense if you are able to use multiple upgrades on one line.

So my question now is can you use multiple upgrade on one line ie: Line E since I dont want to change my plan on line A-D. I would then just swap esn to the desired line.

My thing is I dont want to get rid of my unlimited 4g. what do I do.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
What I understand from what FoxKat said is that if you have an eligible upgrade on a tiered data line, then you can use that without it changing the unlimited on another line, then change the new phone to the unlimited line. But if Verizon is still handling the eligible upgrade & contract dates as they always have in the past, then whatever line the new contracted phone is on dates change.

It is possible that this has changed with the change to the family share plans. But in the past, for me and exactly what is the true current case for my lines, it has always been the way I described.