what is your droid "cool trick"?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its actually app history. Those apps may or may not be running.

Neupy

Reaction score
Must be old thread week......

Edit: My bad...long week...I read the OP post date wrong lol

Last edited:

joeymoose

Reaction score
Must be old thread week......

It sure is, So when are we getting the official 2.1? HAHA! I could care less! I'm Rooted and the update, when and if it ever come, probably would have have the functions I do now with Pete's BB and Chevys Kernel...

Neupy

Reaction score
I really wonder what my join date is...then my like 2nd day rant about *****ing about the mms and audio files (my bad) i bet it was over a month till i posted again lol...just reading

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
My cool trick isn't too much of a trick, but I use sweeter home 2, so my screens are all clean until you push hidden buttons that light them up with widgets and apps

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Attention Getters
Great ways to meet people and start up a conversation

Weather Channel App - Somebody asks me if I know what the weather is supposed to look like today, I just whip this bad boy out and show them the latest moving radar images, followed by Video of the latest forecast.

Barcode Scanner - Anyone seeing you scanning things in the supermarket is bound to be curious...they may even approach you asking about what you are doing. This app is a great way to segue into how epic your phone is, because they are sure to ask you, "What else can it do?"

Google Maps - At my job, I get asked quite frequently where something/place is around town. Usually, even if I know how to get there, I'll pull out my phone and start up Google Maps. I'll point out to them if there is going to be heavy traffic, and reroute them if needed. Occasionally, I will run into the same person a few days later that remembers me and thanks me for the accurate directions.

Bragging Rights
You Have Their Attention...Now What?

Metal Detector - Useful? Sure! On a phone? Hell no, not really lol. But it is definitely something neat to show off just to show off.

Augmented Reality Apps - These usually STEAL the show! Droidspray, Layar, Google Goggles, amongst other such apps, mesmerize your audience. Side effects from the convulsions usually leads to a haunting desire to own a Droid.

Emulators - When people see me playing Super Mario World via SNESoid, they usually don't even know what to say. Their mouth just hangs open in a constant stuper.

Shazam/Midomi - These are just plain awesome, especially if shown to your friends that are audiophiles.

Voice Dialer/Search - I like to show people just how "hands-free" the Droid can be. "Call ..." "Navigate to ..." "Map of ..." "Open ..." Convenience most people could only dream of :)

These are my "cool tricks" which I usually try and use to break the ice/as conversation starters. Hope you guys enjoy!
where can i find the super mario world ROM

Cowpoke

Reaction score
Sweeter Home (I have a regular theme and a custom car dock that I made)

phonemypc I basically have a full desktop pc in my hands (minus sound).

Briankbl

Reaction score
@Malvado,

I can't link you to ROMs, but you can easily search for it via Google. Heck, I even think the ROM app descriptions mention different sites that host ROMs. Good luck!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A lot of these cool tricks posters use to impress other people. I've had a Droid since early November 2009. It continues to impress me. Almost every day I can show off a new feature on the phone. We start to take things for granted. How many other phones can go and grab applications from another maker's phone that you'd like to have? That is a cool trick. You don't have to be root your phone to do so either.

references:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/27473-goodies-other-phones-droid-us.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

cuskit

Reaction score
We have a local theatre that shows movies popular a year or more ago (only $2.50 tickets). I went to see Titanic again - and of course, just as they hit the iceberg, I set my Droid App "MotoTorch" to send out its Morse Code signal for SOS with the LED light. Laid it on the armrest of my seat and let it go for about ten minutes. Cool factor? Maybe - but I've never had so much popcorn thrown at me ever!:icon_ banana: But afterward I did get a lot of oohs and ahhs by people coming over to ask how I did that! In the darkened theatre it really lit up awesome! Most thought it was a gimick set up by the theatre! :) mikey

Last edited:

Balthazar

Reaction score
Not my cool trick and you may already know about it but the one that really knocked me out was using the search and the voice to do math. Just press the search button and the microphone and give it a math problem. Droid will figure it out for you via Google. Too cool IMHO.

Thanks Hoook! I did not my phone could do that and it made me laugh when I first tried it. Now I'm trying to stump my phone with math problems. Too cool:icon_ banana:

Mjaydakid

Reaction score
I just made a couple of neat discoveries. I up-graded from the BB Storm to the Droid. I am still using the Storm ear buds with the inline mic.
The first discovery was I could use the Storm ear buds with the inline mic.
The second discovery was when I press the answer button on the mike to answer a call, it mutes the phone and turn on the phone. But, if I press the on general principal, it turns the music app on and off. This is great when I interact with anyone while listening to the music app with the ear buds.
:)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have a local theatre that shows movies popular a year or more ago (only $2.50 tickets). I went to see Titanic again - and of course, just as they hit the iceberg, I set my Droid App "MotoTorch" to send out its Morse Code signal for SOS with the LED light. Laid it on the armrest of my seat and let it go for about ten minutes. Cool factor? Maybe - but I've never had so much popcorn thrown at me ever!:icon_ banana: But afterward I did get a lot of oohs and ahhs by people coming over to ask how I did that! In the darkened theatre it really lit up awesome! Most thought it was a gimick set up by the theatre! :) mikey

:rofl3: THAT'S awesome!!!! course I have to chastise you at least a little for paying (even $2.50) to see that movie, lol. But if you're intent was to do the SOS trick the whole time I'll forgive you (just this once, lol).

cuskit

Reaction score

:rofl3: THAT'S awesome!!!! course I have to chastise you at least a little for paying (even $2.50) to see that movie, lol. But if you're intent was to do the SOS trick the whole time I'll forgive you (just this once, lol).
Call me a romantic - but I liked the movie for the romance only! ;) Of course I own the DVD, but the big screen "does" it for me.. For true value I prefer the version with George C. Scott! :)

Anyway, this was a group thing - we took a bunch of kids kids to see it - I didn't even think of the SOS until getting close to that scene, then it just jumped into my head. The kids loved it of course - they all wanted to play games with the light... :) mike