what is your droid "cool trick"?

TommyGrubz

Reaction score
Just like the math trick, press and hold the search button, then say "translate xxxxxx to German" (or whatever language) and then copy and paste the result in your text message to your friend who may or may not speak that language!

Briankbl

Reaction score
Attention Getters
Great ways to meet people and start up a conversation

Weather Channel App - Somebody asks me if I know what the weather is supposed to look like today, I just whip this bad boy out and show them the latest moving radar images, followed by Video of the latest forecast.

Barcode Scanner - Anyone seeing you scanning things in the supermarket is bound to be curious...they may even approach you asking about what you are doing. This app is a great way to segue into how epic your phone is, because they are sure to ask you, "What else can it do?"

Google Maps - At my job, I get asked quite frequently where something/place is around town. Usually, even if I know how to get there, I'll pull out my phone and start up Google Maps. I'll point out to them if there is going to be heavy traffic, and reroute them if needed. Occasionally, I will run into the same person a few days later that remembers me and thanks me for the accurate directions.

Bragging Rights
You Have Their Attention...Now What?

Metal Detector - Useful? Sure! On a phone? Hell no, not really lol. But it is definitely something neat to show off just to show off.

Augmented Reality Apps - These usually STEAL the show! Droidspray, Layar, Google Goggles, amongst other such apps, mesmerize your audience. Side effects from the convulsions usually leads to a haunting desire to own a Droid.

Emulators - When people see me playing Super Mario World via SNESoid, they usually don't even know what to say. Their mouth just hangs open in a constant stuper.

Shazam/Midomi - These are just plain awesome, especially if shown to your friends that are audiophiles.

Voice Dialer/Search - I like to show people just how "hands-free" the Droid can be. "Call ..." "Navigate to ..." "Map of ..." "Open ..." Convenience most people could only dream of :)

These are my "cool tricks" which I usually try and use to break the ice/as conversation starters. Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:

astronaut

Reaction score
where do you guys get Swype? I looked for it in the market but don't see it. Looks awesome.

Check here.Swype keyboard preview for Droid leaked DroidMuff.in

I did everything the site says to download this but when I click on the "SwypeReference-WVGA854-trial-release.0.35.3959.apk" it says "file is missing"...so I can't install Swype...what am I doing wrong?

You don't *run* this program. It actually replaces the program code that your phone uses when it brings up the virtual keyboard. The detailed instructions are at the droidmuff.in site where you downloaded the file but I'll repeat them here:

1. Navigate to this page on your phone. You can email yourself a link or go to droidmuff.in in the browser, tap Downloads on the main menu and then Swype keyboard preview on the downloads page to get here.
  2. Tap the Download link and wait for the download to finish.
  3. From the Download history screen, tap SwypeReference-WVGA854-trial-release.0.35.3959.apk, then tap install. Note: If you get an error, you need to go to Settings, then Applications and enable Unknown Sources.
  4. After Swype has installed, Go to Settings, then Language & Keyboard. Uncheck Android keyboard and check Swype.
I strongly suggest that you go to the Swype website (here) and watch the 6 short videos that teach you how to use it properly. You'll be glad you did.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
where do you guys get Swype? I looked for it in the market but don't see it. Looks awesome.

Check here.Swype keyboard preview for Droid leaked DroidMuff.in

I did everything the site says to download this but when I click on the "SwypeReference-WVGA854-trial-release.0.35.3959.apk" it says "file is missing"...so I can't install Swype...what am I doing wrong?

Are you doing that from Astro? If not, install Astro File Manager. when you click on the file a popup will open Select Open App Manger and then install.

meekless

Reaction score
i too love the long press feature on the search button!! but...did you know you can ask just about anything?

ask what is the symbol for Lead.
ask what is the atomic weight of Lead.
ask to translate "where is the bathroom into Spanish."
ask to translate "where is the bathroom into Russian'"

i have run into a couple where Google didnt have the top answer but does come up with a website with the info.

I just think it is awesome you can simply say these things and the answer comes right up!

crspang

Reaction score
Using my phone as a wireless mouse and keyboard to control any computer in my house. Best part is it's free! download gmote from the market then install gmote server on comouter (s) and it's a remote!

Sweet! I gotta try this.........thanks

JoeeDB

Reaction score
The only one I can think of that noone has mentioned so far (which surprises me) is the compass mode in street view of google maps. That one gets a lot of wows lol.

cyber3d

Reaction score
My Droid can do a back flip while holding a martini.

cubsmjy

Reaction score

Are you doing that from Astro? If not, install Astro File Manager. when you click on the file a popup will open Select Open App Manger and then install.
Well I couldn't get it to download through my phone but when I downloaded it to my computer and then transfered it to my phone it installed without a problem. Thanks for the help!

eliassami5

Reaction score
Pressing the "Home" button for 2 or more seconds gives you a list of previously used apps, not a list of currently running apps. Just wanted to clarify that.

One cool thing i found is that there is a Ctrl+Alt+Delete on our DROID's lol. If you press up arrow+alt+del on your hard keyboard your DROID will shutdown and restart itself. My brother thought that was pretty sweet.

The car dock is pretty darn sick IMO. I showed it to one of my coworkers a couple of days ago and hes like "WOW there are no wires coming out of it but it still knows that you are in a car and switches to "car mode"!!" lol. I then explained to him about how the magnet in the back of the phone allows it to do that. So then hes like "wow these motorola ppl are smart".

My co worker was also wowed by the fact that i can get OS updates over the air instead of having to plug the phone into a computer to do it (he has an iphone).

eliassami5

Reaction score
oh and i forgot to mention the qr code reader. I find a page online on my computer than i want to go to on my DROID, so i click on the QR code creator on my computer (there is a plugin for it if you have google chrome or firefox) and scan the code with barcode reader on my DROID.

This worked well when i wanted to show my cousin a youtube video but his computer had no speakers at the time, so i did the steps above and we had the vid loaded up and playing on my DROID in seconds..he was amazed

mrdorunjr

Reaction score
i just found this one yesterday. If you hold down the physical 'home' button, a little box pops up that displays and allows you to select running apps. I freaking found alt+tab on my droid!!!!

that is aaaawwwwsooooome!!!!!!!!!!!!