Certified Like New Replacement Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detonation

Reaction score
In all cases the CLNR slide out keyboard has been so loose the phone opens by itself.

Very Frustrating!

After 3 straight replacements like that, I told them I want to swap to a phone without a slider. Surprisingly, they agreed and the CLNR Incredible I've had for the last couple days is working great.

freesoftwarefan

Reaction score
From seeing this and many other threads with similar contents, it is painfully apparent these CLNR phones are simply being sent out repeatedly with no actual quality control. It seems obvious they are just hoping to eventually match the defective phones with customers who don't mind. For instance I don't use the headphone jack on my phone so if I got a refurb with broken jack I wouldn't notice. I bet a broken jack phone just gets repeatedly sent out to different customers til it ends up with one who doesn't notice, and similarly with other defects.

Its clear it is actually a false savings and vzw is costing themselves more in customer goodwill than they are saving with cost cutting on quality control of clnr phones. Rather than defending a broken business process, vzw employees should pass feedback up the chain to pay more attention and not send the same person 5 broken phones in a row.

ilovechi23

Reaction score
I got my 2nd clnr today it seems fine so far.... only problem is the softkeys under the screen is like a lite purple color instead of bright white......

nanllyn

Reaction score
On my fifth CLNR D1

I bought the Droid 1 on the day of release and had only minor problems for many months. But then about 3 month ago I started having muffled voices and freezing screens. So I got my first CLNR it came on the first time but then the first phone call I got if froze the phone and couldn't be unfroze. 2nd CLNR kept continuing to reboot over and over, wouldn't stop. 3rd one the person on the other end couldn't hear me at all, ever. the 4th one the battery got hot and the screen kept coming on during calls so I was disconnecting alot. Very, very frustrating. It also kept freezing up and lots of "lost signals".
Each of these last 4 took into the store for them to help fix them or verify they needed replaced.
Now I'm having screen freeze, lots of hang up because the screen keeps coming on, lots of lost signals and a hot battery. I called Verizon Tech Support line Wednesday but after speaking to the tech support guy he asked for me to hold while he spoke to his supervisor. My phone lost it's signal. I didn't get a return phone call so after 15 minutes, I called back. I was on hold waiting for a csr when I lost the signal again. I just gave up. But the CSR never called me back.
I called back about an 1 1/2 ago and spoke to another CSR, mentioned I called day before yesterday and never received a return phone call and couldn't call back. I asked if she would call me back if we got disconnected. She said sure. Well it has been 1 1/2 hours, no return phone call yet.
They just wanted to send another CLNR, I told her I would not accept that as I paid for a new one, I pay for the insurance, and my monthly fee (90 a month) and I deserve a phone that works. Not one they "claim" is like new as they are not. She said they could only send me out a CLNR D1. I told her I would only get another one that didn't work and I'm tired of having to reset up everything every couple of weeks. I will just keep my crappy phone and consider going to another provider that has better customer service. That's when she asked me to hold so she could talk to someone, but I lost my signal and she never called back.
Horrible customer service and I don't believe they do anything to recertify their phones. They just put new screens on them and send them out.
Someone here said "company wide, there are 60,000 CLNR units issued per month. imagine the costs if every single one were replaced for a brand new device."
That tells you how many bad phones they are sending out every month. Just my two cents. Obviously not worth much to Verizon as long as I pay my monthly bill.

Last edited:

masterxchief

Reaction score
I've been through 6 CLNR so far with most issues with the slider getting jammed or being too loose. Now they are sending me a Droid 2, I'm not getting my hopes up of getting anything decent anymore.

everstar80

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad phones. I would take the droid 2 replacement because it has been only a month and a half since its release and are more likely to get a new device. Good luck.

masterxchief

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad phones. I would take the droid 2 replacement because it has been only a month and a half since its release and are more likely to get a new device. Good luck.

I think they are sending a CLNR Droid 2 so I doubt its going to be problem free.

everstar80

Reaction score

I think they are sending a CLNR Droid 2 so I doubt its going to be problem free.

Didn't say he would get a new phone but that it may have less issues with it being a relatively new phone. Trying to spread some optimism. Also if you're under contract if they can't give you the phone replacement then they have to upgrade you? I remember someone making several threads about it.

masterxchief

Reaction score

Didn't say he would get a new phone but that it may have less issues with it being a relatively new phone. Trying to spread some optimism. Also if you're under contract if they can't give you the phone replacement then they have to upgrade you? I remember someone making several threads about it.

I think if you consistently have issues with a handful of replacements they may give you a new phone if you are adamant about it.

nanllyn

Reaction score
5 CLNR Droid 1

I sympathize with you. I bought my new Droid 1 the day it came out. Absolutely loved the phone but 6 months in started having dropped calls like crazy. So they did tech support on it and said it was bad and would replace with CLNR. Got that one screen would not come on. Took to Verizon Corp store to see if they could help. Nope bad phone send another replacement. Received it and the screen kept coming on so my check constantly hit the hung up button so I was having to call people 3 - 7 times just to get a 15min phone call in. So back to Corp store for help. No go send another CLNR. This one you couldn't hear me at all. NO matter what. I heard the other person perfectly but they couldn't hear me. Back to Corp store. They couldn't fix it so send another CLNR. Well I thought we finally got a good one. But after 5 weeks screen kept coming on so I was disconnecting people left and right. Even the tech support on the phone had to call me 5 times to get through to Also many times it would freeze up and had to take battery out. The battery would get really hot and sometimes reboots automatically. So I call tech support They only wanted to send another CLNR. I said enough is enough. I paid you $200 for the phone $8/month for insurance, $100 a month for phone service. I expect to get a phone that works. They said CLNR or I could pay to upgrade. I told them I didn't want to upgrade just wanted a phone that worked. They were very stringent for the next 5 calls I made to tech support. On the 5th they said CLNR or they offered an LG Ally. I said no comparison. He said it is exaxtly a like. Droid OS and keyboard. I explained it was a downgrade. He fought with me how it wasn't so I said lets go through the specs and compare. Obvoiusly I was correct that it didn't compare but the guy still insisted it was the same phone so I said goodbye.
So finally on the 6th night I got someone that asked what I wanted to do. I told them I did not want a CLNR I wanted a new Droid 1. He said he couldn't do that . So I said how about a Droid Incredible. It is the most compatible one out there to the Droid. He said he would see what they could do. Anyway, they sent me a CLNR Droid Incredible. I'm going to be activating it here it a little bit after I back up my Droid. So fingures crossed it is a good one. But how horrible to just keep sending the same phone over and over knowing they have problems.
Just keep calling and hopefully you will get an understanding guy like I did. He really was great and totally understood my frustration at the whole situation.
Good luck to those that are in the same situation.

lissa5168

Reaction score
OK, now I'm nervous lol. My micro USB took a crap and my notification LED quit working right, so they are shipping me out a CLNR. Other than that, the phone itself runs great ... good battery life, good call signal and quality, keyboard still intact. Maybe sporadic notifications and acrobatics to keep the charger in the port aren't such a bad thing. :-O

Two questions: 1. How many days do you have to return the phone being replaced? Like, if the replacement sucks, can I keep using the original phone until I get a replacement that doesn't suck? And 2. What OS are the CLNRs shipping with now? I'm really hoping to root it and get back to business without involving any chants and live chickens. ;-)

borge12

Reaction score
Two questions: 1. How many days do you have to return the phone being replaced? Like, if the replacement sucks, can I keep using the original phone until I get a replacement that doesn't suck? And 2. What OS are the CLNRs shipping with now? I'm really hoping to root it and get back to business without involving any chants and live chickens. ;-)

You have 10 days to ship back the phone before they put a charge on your bill. If the phone makes them back to that they do drop the charge. I think you have like six months before its impossible to get a refund.

The CLNR Droids are shipping with 2.2 FRG22D.

A tip for anyone who has been stuck in replacement hell: try email. After my 4th Droid has a bad slider I called *611 and didn't get very far. However, after complaining to the Verizon Support account and writing emails using their support form on their website I was able to talk to someone who was completely and totally accommodating.

On Wednesday my (CLNR) Droid X should be here :)

Detonation

Reaction score
OK, now I'm nervous lol. My micro USB took a crap and my notification LED quit working right, so they are shipping me out a CLNR. Other than that, the phone itself runs great ... good battery life, good call signal and quality, keyboard still intact. Maybe sporadic notifications and acrobatics to keep the charger in the port aren't such a bad thing. :-O

1. You have 10 days from the day you receive the phone to ship the other one back out. All they want is a phone back, so you could just mail back the refurb if you don't like it.

2. the phones come with the most recent update. So in this case, FRG22D

lissa5168

Reaction score
1. You have 10 days from the day you receive the phone to ship the other one back out. All they want is a phone back, so you could just mail back the refurb if you don't like it.

2. the phones come with the most recent update. So in this case, FRG22D

1. Great! That was what I was hoping.

2. Thanks ... I'll go gather up the chickens. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.