Certified Like New Replacement Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Two questions: 1. How many days do you have to return the phone being replaced? Like, if the replacement sucks, can I keep using the original phone until I get a replacement that doesn't suck? And 2. What OS are the CLNRs shipping with now? I'm really hoping to root it and get back to business without involving any chants and live chickens. ;-)

You have 10 days to ship back the phone before they put a charge on your bill. If the phone makes them back to that they do drop the charge. I think you have like six months before its impossible to get a refund.

The CLNR Droids are shipping with 2.2 FRG22D.

A tip for anyone who has been stuck in replacement hell: try email. After my 4th Droid has a bad slider I called *611 and didn't get very far. However, after complaining to the Verizon Support account and writing emails using their support form on their website I was able to talk to someone who was completely and totally accommodating.

On Wednesday my (CLNR) Droid X should be here :)

:r_c: We (The Techs at VZW) definitely do what we can do for our customers ...and on a case-by-case basis. Remember folks... Verizon replaces devices (CLNR) as a 'courtesy' and not as an obligation. (Actually... that statement was correct) The one year warranty we all enjoy (and write about today), is a manufacturer warranty (from the people who actually made the phone). You always have the right to call the manufacturer directly in case your purchased device isn't working properly. You're not obligated to call VZW at all regarding those issues.

:icon_ banana:please also note... VZW will only be able to assist those who bought their devices directly from Verizon Wireless (web or store).

borge12

Reaction score
Remember folks... Verizon replaces devices (CLNR) as a 'courtesy' and not as an obligation. (Actually... that statement was correct)

Spare me. If I buy a $700 TV from Best Buy where do I return that device to if it is defective?

VZW tries to pass itself off to the customer that they are doing the customer a service so when the customer gets treated poorly VZW can feel better about themselves.

You're a retailer. If you sell defective equipment it should be your responsibility to make it right.

You always have the right to call the manufacturer directly in case your purchased device isn't working properly. You're not obligated to call VZW at all regarding those issues.

The one thing that makes me jealous of my co-worker's iPhones is that when those phones have an issue they take them to the genius bar, run their diagnostics then get a brand new phone out of the box. I on the other hand have to defend myself to VZW reps about how my phone being screwed up is a hardware issue and not my fault.

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
vzw policy is 30 day test drive you got 30 days for mandatory replacement or return after that it is an insurance issue they are not obligated after the 30 days to replace anything so it is a courtesy for them to replace after 30 days

but that does not exclude the limited 1 year manufacturer replacement which is also not a vzw issue

letsroc1

Reaction score
I got my Droid back in Dec. and Im on NUMBER 5. They told me that I could pick a new phone. So I did and they called me back and told me that they could not do that after they told me they would. I should stayed with Sprint

perfoliate

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in that I had a good experience with clnr. I had my original Droid since day one and after 10 months the power button lost its spring. I received a clnr in the mail and it seems like its brand new. No problems whatsoever, even though I was skeptical as hell and checked it over with a fine tooth comb and put it through its paces. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but I just wanted too add my experience.

robry

Reaction score
hey all, just wanted to chime in, after reading a few horror stories about CLNR motorola droid devices, I figured I'd give it a shot, my keyboard on my original (nov 21st 2009) droid was acting up, it would type multiple letters of the same letter/spaces. never got the phone wet or anything like that. Anyhow, I got my CLNR today, check it out.

IMG_20101006_140743.jpg

seems pretty 'like-new' to me. already have another one on the way and sent them that one back, not even wasting my time setting my stuff up on it. I wonder how many of us have gotten the same CLNR and sent it back, only for them to send it out again lol.

I think if the next one comes beat up, I'm just going to goto verizon corp stores and try to get a droid 2 every time.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have to wonder if they clean these CLNR's. I mean, they obviously don't look at them which, I think, would be a requirement if you were cleaning them. Who's up for some ear wax in the speaker hole? How bout some dried up spit in the mouthpeice? Maybe some micoscopic dead skin particles in the keyboard grooves? YES!!!

psychicdroid

Reaction score
That looks like the first POS they sent me. I did the same thing, didn't even activate it, just sent it back.

robry

Reaction score
I have to wonder if they clean these CLNR's. I mean, they obviously don't look at them which, I think, would be a requirement if you were cleaning them. Who's up for some ear wax in the speaker hole? How bout some dried up spit in the mouthpeice? Maybe some micoscopic dead skin particles in the keyboard grooves? YES!!!

lol for real, I mean I thought it might show up totally beat up, but it looked good, until I tried the slider, the slider is BROKEN, I mean its so loose I thought it was gonna fall apart when I opened it the first time.

That looks like the first POS they sent me. I did the same thing, didn't even activate it, just sent it back.

HAHA it probably actually is the same phone.

we should keep a registry of all the ESNs on the busted CLNRs we get and post it on here somewhere, so people know to keep sending them back. I wonder if verizon would get the hint when the same ESN phone keeps coming back for inspection.

I literally laughed when I opened this thing though, HOW is this "LIKE-NEW"? ugh

spdivr1122

Reaction score
Before I had Droid, I had four LG the vs five aliases eleven LG voyagers four LG versas. I know how you feel. Verizon's replacement phones are ****

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

robry

Reaction score
I went through 4 blackberry storm 1's, like 1 1/2 years ago, due to an issue on my account (I would get 1-way audio and every CSR thought it was a hardware issue)

they were all in really nice shape, I guess the biggest difference is motorola stopped producing them. what a shame, hopefully I can just get a droid 2 and be done with it.

Detonation

Reaction score
Every CNLR I got had a crooked slider like that, if not worse. I think they finally got sick of me complaining about it because they eventually gave me a Droid Incredible, noting to me that it did not have a slider.

robry

Reaction score
IMG_20101007_123511.jpg

phone #2 replacement is even worse. I'm just gonna goto the store and see what they'll do.

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
oh my' WTF is wrong with that picture because you put more effort pushing with your right thumb then you did with your left thumb the phone is bad?? it isnt like it is spring loaded geeewhiz

my phone does that and i dont think there is a single problem with it

robry

Reaction score
oh my' WTF is wrong with that picture because you put more effort pushing with your right thumb then you did with your left thumb the phone is bad?? it isnt like it is spring loaded geeewhiz

my phone does that and i dont think there is a single problem with it

because the space between the hinges is so great that the top half of the phone feels like its going to FALL apart. that's what I'm illustrating. I've had my original Droid 1 since Nov 22nd. It does not do this. My point is, why should I take a phone that feels like its going to fall apart, when my current phone isn't even that bad after 11 months of consistent usage. The only reason I called for a replacement is because my keyboard is failing, the p/o/i/l and space will auto-repeat a few times if you press them once. I've already done all the obvious restore factory defaults, etc. The phone hasn't been rooted/overclocked, never dropped, beaten or gotten wet. the phone works flawless, minus this annoying keyboard issue. I removed swype and shapewriter thinking that was somehow the cause, I've concluded its a hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.