Certified Like New Replacement Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelchm

Reaction score
Anyone else had a terrible experience with certified like new replacement (CLNR) phones?

Since I received my Droid back on release day it has been replaced atleast fives times. Simply put -- every CLNR phone I've received has failed or been defective out of the box.

I've had phones with microphones that don't work, with miscalibrated proximity sensors, keyboards that peel with few days of use and casings that come unglued -- I even had one phone whose slider was physically jammed. How do you miss these kind obvious defects?

I've talked to countless Verizon reps both in store and on the phone -- they won't do anything for me.

I think the closest thing I've received to a reasonable offer is a CLNR Droid 2 with me having to purchase the battery / battery cover myself. Seriously Verizon? You are going to make me pay out of pocket for your broken phones? This is not how you treat customers.

I'm about ready to leave Verizon and move on -- Anyone see any alternatives?

Last edited:

ricks

Reaction score
Im getting one this week, I am very nervous. It better be in new condition.

OP
kelchm

kelchm

Reaction score

Don't count on it. While every single CLNR device I've used has looked new, all have had some sort of flaw, except the one I got immediately after the Droid's launch. I suspect this was probably just a new phone that was packaged like a CLNR device.

Want to know the real kicker? Motorola won't even touch a CLNR phone.

Last edited:

joeybarclay

Reaction score

Don't count on it. While every single CLNR device I've used has looked new, all have had some sort of flaw, except the one I got immediately after the Droid's launch. I suspect this was probably just a new phone that was packaged like a CLNR device.

Want to know the real kicker? Motorola won't even touch a CLNR phone.

yea they all look new but they usually still have problems im on my second replacement

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i'm on my second replacement and in the first day i found out my aux jack was broken.

i rooted so i didn't return it, but i'm heavily considering it to possibly get a droid 2 or incredible :p

crspang

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd CLNR and luckily this works like its supposed to. The first one I got had a bad magnetic sensor.

OP
kelchm

kelchm

Reaction score
Truth is just like a brand new phone some people are going to get one that doesn't work properly. And as soon as they do they make a thread about it here.
Sure.

One or two replacements I can accept... But I've had my phone replaced five times now and still haven't received a phone that isn't broken in some way. It's unacceptable that Verizon treats their customers like this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Truth is just like a brand new phone some people are going to get one that doesn't work properly. And as soon as they do they make a thread about it here.
Sure.

One or two replacements I can accept... But I've had my phone replaced five times now and still haven't received a phone that isn't broken in some way. It's unacceptable that Verizon treats their customers like this.

Hey, I feel for you but what do you want them to do? Just like some people have 6 bad brand new phones, your luck is not so good. I'm not saying I blame you, I'd be peeved too and probably think about changing providers but it's really just bad luck. Nothing more.

Maybe the 6th one will be the charm.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yeah i had some issues when i had to replace my droid.

i got my original droid the day they came out in november and it worked perfect till about a month ago then the camera took a crap. Go into the store they replaced it on the spot. Get home and turn wifi on and the phone with no apps installed goes into a infinate boot loop. Called customer service they overnight another to me. I got that one and half the keyboard did not work. Called customer service again this time they offered me a brand new unit instead of a refurb. This ones been fine since then.

original - camera dies after 9 months
refurb 1 - wifi boot loops phone
refurb 2 - half keyboard doesnt work
ended up getting a new unit.

OP
kelchm

kelchm

Reaction score
Sure.

Hey, I feel for you but what do you want them to do? Just like some people have 6 bad brand new phones, your luck is not so good. I'm not saying I blame you, I'd be peeved too and probably think about changing providers but it's really just bad luck. Nothing more.

Maybe the 6th one will be the charm.

I'm a stickler for good customer service -- This isn't the way you play the game. You don't win customers by inconveniencing them or putting them through this kind of ordeal. Honestly, if Verizon is really the kind of company that leaves the satisfaction of their customers to chance then I don't want anything to do with them.

Call me crazy, but I think companies should go out of their way to make their customers happy so long as what the customer is asking is reasonable. And let's face it, what I'm asking for isn't at all unreasonable. Others have gotten dew Droid 1's and Droid 2's so why are they kicking me to the curb? link: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/31/droid-2-as-warranty-replacement-for-droid-continues/

I think after the hours I've spent on the phone and waiting around their store it's time for them to step up and make the situation right.

Last edited:

Deltantor

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th Droid. 1st one: Damaged power button, 2nd: Crackling headphone jack, 3rd: garbled speakerphone, 4th: Doesnt wake up after a call

ricks

Reaction score
Just got my second certified like crap replacement and this one has bad hinges. It grinds when you open and close it and it sticks. The first one was bent. They are sending me another one tomorrow. They offered me a Droid 2 and I declined it. I dont think I like the color.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I found Verizon to be very nice to work with. They just sent me out a brand new D2. I just took out the 8 meg sd card that came with it and put my 16 meg card from my D1 in.

CorkYRogers

Reaction score
I'm actually on my 2nd refurb...I take that back, just got my 3rd one today and I didn't even take out my old battery from my old phone when I realized the power/unlock button is recessed in. Which was the reason I had my original D1 replaced back in June. I understand refurbs have worked fine for countless others but this was the last straw. Going to call and I guess ***** about it. Which is something I rarely do but this has gotten to a point where I'm thinking about switching providers.

This last refurb was actually working great until a weak ago where the phone would run really hot after not even a minute of being used and the battery would drain from 100% to 40% in a matter of about 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.