Certified Like New Replacement Hell

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by kelchm, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelchm

kelchm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else had a terrible experience with certified like new replacement (CLNR) phones?

Since I received my Droid back on release day it has been replaced atleast fives times. Simply put -- every CLNR phone I've received has failed or been defective out of the box.

I've had phones with microphones that don't work, with miscalibrated proximity sensors, keyboards that peel with few days of use and casings that come unglued -- I even had one phone whose slider was physically jammed. How do you miss these kind obvious defects?

I've talked to countless Verizon reps both in store and on the phone -- they won't do anything for me.

I think the closest thing I've received to a reasonable offer is a CLNR Droid 2 with me having to purchase the battery / battery cover myself. Seriously Verizon? You are going to make me pay out of pocket for your broken phones? This is not how you treat customers.

I'm about ready to leave Verizon and move on -- Anyone see any alternatives?

#1 kelchm, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. ricks

ricks Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Im getting one this week, I am very nervous. It better be in new condition.

3. kelchm

kelchm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't count on it. While every single CLNR device I've used has looked new, all have had some sort of flaw, except the one I got immediately after the Droid's launch. I suspect this was probably just a new phone that was packaged like a CLNR device.

Want to know the real kicker? Motorola won't even touch a CLNR phone.

#3 kelchm, Sep 6, 2010
  4. joeybarclay

joeybarclay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yea they all look new but they usually still have problems im on my second replacement

5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    i'm on my second replacement and in the first day i found out my aux jack was broken.

i rooted so i didn't return it, but i'm heavily considering it to possibly get a droid 2 or incredible :p

6. crspang

crspang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on my 2nd CLNR and luckily this works like its supposed to. The first one I got had a bad magnetic sensor.

7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
  8. kelchm

kelchm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sure.

One or two replacements I can accept... But I've had my phone replaced five times now and still haven't received a phone that isn't broken in some way. It's unacceptable that Verizon treats their customers like this.

9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hey, I feel for you but what do you want them to do? Just like some people have 6 bad brand new phones, your luck is not so good. I'm not saying I blame you, I'd be peeved too and probably think about changing providers but it's really just bad luck. Nothing more.

Maybe the 6th one will be the charm.

10. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    yeah i had some issues when i had to replace my droid.

i got my original droid the day they came out in november and it worked perfect till about a month ago then the camera took a crap. Go into the store they replaced it on the spot. Get home and turn wifi on and the phone with no apps installed goes into a infinate boot loop. Called customer service they overnight another to me. I got that one and half the keyboard did not work. Called customer service again this time they offered me a brand new unit instead of a refurb. This ones been fine since then.

original - camera dies after 9 months
    refurb 1 - wifi boot loops phone
    refurb 2 - half keyboard doesnt work
    ended up getting a new unit.

11. kelchm

kelchm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a stickler for good customer service -- This isn't the way you play the game. You don't win customers by inconveniencing them or putting them through this kind of ordeal. Honestly, if Verizon is really the kind of company that leaves the satisfaction of their customers to chance then I don't want anything to do with them.

Call me crazy, but I think companies should go out of their way to make their customers happy so long as what the customer is asking is reasonable. And let's face it, what I'm asking for isn't at all unreasonable. Others have gotten dew Droid 1's and Droid 2's so why are they kicking me to the curb? link: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/31/droid-2-as-warranty-replacement-for-droid-continues/

I think after the hours I've spent on the phone and waiting around their store it's time for them to step up and make the situation right.

#11 kelchm, Sep 6, 2010
  12. Deltantor

Deltantor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on my 4th Droid. 1st one: Damaged power button, 2nd: Crackling headphone jack, 3rd: garbled speakerphone, 4th: Doesnt wake up after a call

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a like unit or one of comparable quality to droid razr maxx
are pre certified phones good
certified like new replacement

clnr phone

clnr verizon
does certified like new mean
how many times does verizon have to give you a certified lik
problems with certified like new phones
what is a clnr phone