Who has a "like new" replacement?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your under warranty will they still send you a refurbed phone?
If you are within your 30 days and have no replacements, yes you will get a new in box replacement. After 30 days a warranty will be covered under "Certified Like New". This is nothing they're trying to pull the wool over you on. This is policy that has been in place for many years now.

richrcp

Reaction score
Unfortunately that is how verizon operates with it's replacement program. I have never understood why you pay for a phone, have issues with that phone that warrant replacement, then receive a like new replacement that someone else has had problems with. Have previously owned a Motorola Z6 TV and a Blackberry Curve that initially worked well but had to be peplaced only to have even more trouble with the like new replacements. Verizon is good about sending out replacements when your phone has issues but hold tight to your Droid it will be the only new one you ever have!!!!! :icon_eek:

maverick

Reaction score
I have a question. I ordered Droid over the weekend from Amazon ($110...:) ) and I bought the insurance which Amazon claims is from the service provider (verizon). So if my phone has a problem then I need to go to Verizon store right? and they will replace it? I dont want to be lost between Amazon and Verizon. Also one of my colleague was waived activation fee cause we work for Govt entity however he bought the phone at the verizon store. So when I go to them this week to activate my phone will they waive my activation fee like they did for my colleague or they will say u have to buy it at the store to qualify for that?

Thanks

justreboot

Reaction score
I got a like-mew replacement when my phone...er... cough cough... went 'dead.' no problems so far... still waiting on 2.1 :(

m1chuhsuh

Reaction score
"Originally Posted by ezeddiekun
Ill get mad if I get a refurbed one with cosmetic defects... this really worries me.

You won't EVER get a CLNR with cosmetic damage.

WRONG! I went to the verizon store because my battery cover wouldn't close in all the way.. i was before my 30 days mark, but because i got it from a 3rd party store, they wouldn't give me the "30 day worry free". Anyway, I got stuck with a CLN phone, and when i was inspecting it, the corner was nicked..

the verizon representative, however, replaced that phone with a new CLN phone.. haha. but yeah, CLNR could come with cosmetic damage.

pennyb617

Reaction score
I just got a refurb phone. They told me to activate my new one and log into gmail account, follow the wizard and all my contacts and apps would be on the phone. Is that true? What about my pics and music on the SD card. Will my play lists all be in there too?

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
I havent had a replacement for my droid yet but my previous phone was an LG Dare. I went through 4 certified like new phones and I can tell you that even though they are refurbs you dont be able to tell the difference. There has never been a scratch, ding or mark on ANY of the phones that are certified like new. This is the way they have done it for many years, I think you are safe. I have never had to pay for a replacement if covered under warranty though.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
My phone had issues a couple of days ago. I took it to the store, they looked at it and replaced it with one from stock, so I am assuming that I got a "new" or "like new" phone. So far, no problems with the phone.

lockman

Reaction score
I just got a refurb phone. They told me to activate my new one and log into gmail account, follow the wizard and all my contacts and apps would be on the phone. Is that true? What about my pics and music on the SD card. Will my play lists all be in there too?

If you didn't keep your old SD card, you're SOL. Sorry.

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I have a question. I ordered Droid over the weekend from Amazon ($110...:) ) and I bought the insurance which Amazon claims is from the service provider (verizon). So if my phone has a problem then I need to go to Verizon store right? and they will replace it? I dont want to be lost between Amazon and Verizon. Also one of my colleague was waived activation fee cause we work for Govt entity however he bought the phone at the verizon store. So when I go to them this week to activate my phone will they waive my activation fee like they did for my colleague or they will say u have to buy it at the store to qualify for that?

Thanks

I'm not sure how the insurance thing will work between Verizon and Amazon. I bought mine through Best Buy and just take it there when there is a problem. As far as the activation goes I have never had to pay for an activation. Most stores do it for free and will not charge for it. But why do you need to take it to the store to activate it? Just log into your account on verizonwireless.com and activate it yourself. It is very easy and will save you the trip to the store.

Medman

Reaction score
I got my replacement "like new" droid last week and it is as advertised. It's like new, works great and it was super easy to move the info from the original droid to my new one. I put the original one in their return box and away it went.

2amReply

Reaction score
A friend just got one too. Its fine. Didnt have to restart yet, haha

Last edited:

toastedoats

Reaction score
Got my like new replacement today and was at the VZW store 2hrs later.

1. Charging port was loose and intermittent I couldnt get it to consistently charge on the drive home. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE

2. There was some blue ink or something on one corner of the phone (not on screen) and i was able to get it off without too much effort

3. Speaker grille and "google" trim panel were creased obviously when the phone was disassembled

This is deplorable QC on the Motorola refurb department. I was NOT happy

Having another refurb POS overnighted to me

Last edited:

jedonat

Reaction score
Like new replacement

My Droid started being very strange -unlocking and locking on it's own, dialing on it's own, and other weirdness. I got mine on Day 1. This happened about 2 weeks ago. My moisture indicator was OK, so I knew I wouldn't get nailed on that. When I brought it in, by that time, it was rebooting constantly. The outer edges were a bit beat up -and they threatened to charge me $50.00 for replacement.... they went back to their manager and waived the charges. Mine was a white box Droid -they moved my SD card over. I did have to replace my apps that I had downloaded from the Market. My 'white box' Droid was in great condition, and running 2.0.1 Android OS. We spend about $300.00/month on 4 fancy phones (Droid, Droid Eris, Palm Centro, LG Voyager) and I work for a company who spends lots of $$ on wireless cards and Blackberry Curves.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Okay, here is the thing:

The white box phones are new, returned, and refurbished phones. Depending on the stock. New phones that are just out, obviously don't have enough returns to be refurbished so they are commonly "new" or returned phones from customers who did not like it. Its basically a gamble. The reason they are in the white box is because everything you get with your phone is covered under a kind of warranty: The phone, the battery back, the battery, and the charger. They will open a new phone, and piece out what needs to go to who- so no you would never (should never) get a new Droid box with everything in it, because those parts are going to other people with those defective parts.

What I would do if call 1-866-406-5154 and speak with them, if THEY are still telling you the same thing then I would go back to the store that it happened in and have them call. Because your device is covered under a 1 year manufacture warranty and yes that does include the keyboard- the reason I say have the store call is because they know (and witnessed) that it was not your fault and was a problem with the phone.

What you're going to have to do is send back your old droid in their box, within seven days, or they'll charge you for the device. What these guys are saying about being threatened charges for damages to the device should be described to Handset Replacement as "normal wear and tear" which, it is. As long as you don't have water damage you should be okay.

If nothing else, I would look for a direct phone number to call Motorola, which I may be able to find if you're still having this problem in the next few days.

Last edited: