Who has a "like new" replacement?

cc16177

Reaction score
So today I was at the verizon store trying on a gel snap on case and somehow when I slid the keyboard open it ripped half my delete key off. Even the people at the store saw it happen and they put a note on my account that it was not my fault.

When I called the 1800 number they told me my only option is to PAY $40 for a "certified like new replacement" because I am ten days past my 30 days. WHAT?

Everytime I've been given refurbished phones I've had problems so I'm very wary of getting one when I've had such good luck with my Droid so far.

Has anyone gotten one yet? And if so did you have to pay and how well does it work? I've been a verizon customer for over ten years and have always had great luck with customer service so I'm amazed they are being so difficult.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Call back, ask to speak to a Supervisor. You shouldn't have to pay anything....but.....A refurb is probably what you will get. That's how they usually replace warranty covered phones.

feedhead

Reaction score
I had a defective touch screen (that should be it's own post)
I was past 30 days & at the VZ store they called it in. No Cost at all. I got phone from FedEx last night. White box replacement came with SD card, no battery or battery cover. Looked brand spanking new to me. I wondered if it was too soon to have any refurbs yet

OP
C

cc16177

Reaction score
I have talked to several supervisors and I still get the same BS. I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow...

TJConnery

Reaction score
I did the same thing to the keyboard on my phone with a case sold by verizon. It happens if you install the top cover upside down. Fortunately, it happened to me within warranty, so I am on device #2.

Maybe you will luck out and get a new device anyway since there can't be too many refurbs out there. Or maybe you will get my first Droid, with a new delete key. :icon_eek:Sorry.

OP
C

cc16177

Reaction score
I had a defective touch screen (that should be it's own post)
I was past 30 days & at the VZ store they called it in. No Cost at all. I got phone from FedEx last night. White box replacement came with SD card, no battery or battery cover. Looked brand spanking new to me. I wondered if it was too soon to have any refurbs yet

I can't believe this!! They told me there is NO WAY I would EVER get a new phone if i'm past 30 days. I even told them I would cancel my service before I allowed them to send me a refurb and their response was "would you like to pay your cancellation fee by check or credit card?"

I was amazed! I've been a customer for over ten years and with my entire family on the bill our total bill is about $275 a month!

feedhead

Reaction score
From the pamphlet inside the my new phone's box entitled
The Verizon Device Exchange Program : Like-New Replacement Certified
(The guy pictured on front is awful smiley so this program must be good)

"The Device you receive may be reconditioned equipement"

Love the Droid ... Verizon is my "best choice" for a carrier.
Sure there business practices are questionable.

Last edited:

jazzmang

Reaction score
Refurb phone replacements are a pretty common practice among several different carriers, not just Verizon.

12master

Reaction score
yep,they also mention that you may get a *similar model* (so if they ran out of droid's,they'l send y a eris!)

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Hmm that really sucks. Kinda makes me not wana exchange my droid anymore! I don't want to get a phone thats even worse. Refurbed phones are defected phones that has been fixed right?